Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday

(73 Posts)
12Michael Mon 19-Apr-21 06:06:16

Good Morning Everyone,
Its bright and dry here in Brackley , but we still have that cold chill in the air.
Today , a quiet day , stay in do some housework , have some lunch and watch cycling on TV this afternoon.
Thinking back 12 months , all sport was suspended, such as the cycling fixtures of the main races , until later in the year .
Take Care,
Mick

baubles Mon 19-Apr-21 08:13:46

Good morning Mick, morning all from South Lanarkshire where the sun is lurking behind the clouds attempting to come out.

Oh Marydoll what a disaster, DH did that with a full coffee pot, it gets everywhere.

Hope you get everything on your list Urms, I’m looking forward to having a mooch around the shops next month.

After a snotty, sneezy, shivery weekend I’m feeling more human today so as
DD doesn’t work on Mondays we’re meeting her for a walk later, she will have the youngest child, the others go back to school today.

Wishing everyone a peaceful day.

Grammaretto Mon 19-Apr-21 08:17:28

Good Morning all from the Scottish Borders where it is not at all warm but we had such a lovely week, I am not grumbling.
The reading says 7 degrees and sunny. Ah well, it's not the case in my garden.
I was going to plant the potatoes today but since my rose in a pot has frost bite I may wait.
I approve Urms of looking online and then buying at the local shop. Much better than the opposite which more and more people do and thus we lose our local shops. and the same folk complain!

I lit my kiln this morning (I'm a potter) and will need to keep an eye on it today. This evening the plumber is due to mend a broken loo flush. It's the newest cistern in the house. of course.

Sorry about your batter-y frustrations in the kitchen Marydoll. I am butter fingered these days; far more than I used to be. I dropped 3 antique cups, part of a set, off the work surface where they were put to keep safe while their proper room was being decorated.

Now for breakfast and paying bills.
I still haven't had a hair cut or been to a non food shop for months if not years.
Have fun on your outings people in England. I am not jealous at all envy

hollysteers Mon 19-Apr-21 08:18:51

Good morning Mick and all from Sunnyside northwest Lancashire coast.
I have reasons to get moving today and shake off my inertia. Bubbled DD arrives so am cooking spatchcock chicken, red cabbage and jacket potatoes. Will pick some bluebells etc for a posy by her bed and generally give myself a kick up the **.
Might even paint a small abstract watercolour in celebration.
Must phone my sister in law in the south whose health is precarious and haven’t been able to get through for a little while.
Big event yesterday, I finished my book by Edith Wharton, The Buccaneers. It dragged towards the end, fostered by the fact I knew she had not completed it herself, selfishly dying before she could...
Just started a William Trevor, so see how that goes. My book is very important these days.
Last night watched 10 years younger on TV and love to see the difference a bit of loving care makes. I could never ever appear on tv looking and feeling sorry for myself however.
Thoughts to harrigran, Cherry, Marydoll and anyone with troubles.

Anniebach Mon 19-Apr-21 08:22:13

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

grandmajet Mon 19-Apr-21 08:22:43

Good morning from a somewhat overcast Nottinghamshire, where I’m still recovering from last night’s Line of Duty!
I think you’re very brave getting a new iPad, urmstongran, I dread having to try to change to a new one and am convinced all my ‘stuff’ would fly away into the ether. I have a love/hate relationship with technology, depending on whether it is working or not!
Carsington water is lovely for a day out, beauregard, we spent a great day there with all our descendants when staying at some cottages nearby.
Oh, marydoll, I can just visualise the batter disaster - I hope the crepes were lovely after all that.
Not much planned for today. I’ll water the garden and pull up a few weeds, but my main job is to persuade my local surgery that I need an appointment this week for an injection in case my spleen gets whipped out, I have to have it at least two weeks before surgery. Finger crossed they will listen.
I hope everyone’s day is as pleasant as possible.

GrannySomerset Mon 19-Apr-21 08:28:33

After yesterday’s debacle DH managed to get up in the night and fall - just what one needs at 4.00 am! Happily he appears to have done no damage but getting him back into bed was hard going and I feel like a very droopy lettuce now.

Washing on the go and the sun is shining but I am a bit short of joie de vivre this morning. Autocue can’t cope with my pretentious use of French and has offered joke de vitreous instead so perhaps that’s what I need.

Have a gentle empty, Marydoll, and lovely days out for those planning them. Great to think we are able to plan ahead a bit now.

aggie Mon 19-Apr-21 08:34:44

Good Morning all, it’s brightish here at the moment with the sun filtering through mottled clouds .
Got an outing this morning ? we heard that we can get a very efficient litter picker thingy from the Council , so we are driving over to the council offices to claim one . Seems there is a scheme ! I suppose it’s cheaper than the council actually doing the cleaning up .
DD has been taking a bag on her walks and picking up the rubbish , but stopped since lockdown , the picker upper means she can go back to lifting stuff without touching it
Wish I had either longer or shorter hair , it’s too long , and strange layers , to pin back unless I use a zillion clips , and not short enough to lie down , however with a mask , glasses , wild hair and hearing aids my head is really weighed down ! .
Porridge has pinged , better eat it and get dressed for my big morning out ?

ginny Mon 19-Apr-21 08:35:00

Good Morning. Another sunny start here inN. Bucks.
Lovely after yesterday with DD2, lunch in garden and a visit to local garden centre.
Today DH is at golf and I will ring the local surgery in the hope of speaking to a doctor re. on going concerns. I’d really like to see her face to face but doubt that will happen. It’s so difficult to describe and explain over the phone.
Chicken and ham pie to make or the freezer and a fish dish for this evening.
Might forgo a walk today as I should make a start on planting in the garden.
Hope you all find a ? today.

Litterpicker Mon 19-Apr-21 08:42:33

Good morning from sunny West Sussex.
We had such a ‘busy’ weekend! A lovely walk on the Downs on Saturday, with friends. Real church on Sunday and another walk but just DH and me this time.
DH off to volunteering this morning so getting back to normal routine. I am tempted to journey to nearest bookshop to buy next book club read, Hamnet, rather than buy online using bookshop.org.uk.
DGD1 (17) fell off her new skateboard (pennyboard?) yesterday so spent yesterday evening in A&E. DD had to be very assertive to stay with her. Now sporting sling but can use her phone so that’s Ok ?.
Lovely photo of your garden and view NannyJan. You must have lots of birds in these trees.
Marydoll so sorry to read of your batter disaster - so frustrating for you flowers. I haven’t checked out your latest clue yet ?.
Beauregard we used to visit Wirksworth and enjoyed days out to Carsington.
Thoughts with all those going through hard times - too many to name ? ???

grannysyb Mon 19-Apr-21 08:42:44

Oh Marydoll, what a disaster, hope the second lot of crepes were good. DHs family are having a terrible time at the moment, with illness and bereavement, and one family member is being very difficult, we have decided to ignore their bad behaviour, but it is having an impact on others. Today's list is soup making, paperwork, sowing and sewing! Hope to accomplish most of it. Have the best day possible everyone .

Nannytopsy Mon 19-Apr-21 08:45:20

Good morning Mick and all his followers. Its grey and misty in Suffolk today but it should brighten up later.
We were on duty for the school runs but DiL has hurt her back and is not going to work today.
We start the next step of the garden today - clearing an area at the top of the garden for a gravel area and some large flower beds. Must get it done - I have lots of plants in pots waiting for a new home. As my dad would say, it makes my back ache just thinking about it!
Enjoy your empty Marydoll and do take it easy.
I hope the day is kind to everyone.

hulahoop Mon 19-Apr-21 08:46:21

Good morning from West York's another bright day here ,I am meeting friend this morning for a walk and news catch up .*Grannysomerset*sorry to hear about oh fall in the early hours glad no injuries .Hope everyone can find a ? today.

Gingster Mon 19-Apr-21 08:50:04

Good morning from a very foggy Suffolk coast. The sun is struggling to break through so it should be nice later.

Firstly thanks again to ashcombe for the beautiful poem she wrote for me yesterday. She is a very clever lady. ?. My friend, Roma, thought it was perfect. . ❤️

Marydoll how frustrating for you. I’m interested in the Chinese soap operas though ??.

Grandmafrench I hope your DH had a lovely birthday yesterday.?

No bluebells here yet dragonfly . Lots of leaves though.

Sar lovely to have your visits to DD’s to look forward to. Not long now.

We have now completed the first coat of stain for the summerhouse. Phew! What a job! We will plod on and start the second coat today. It should all be done by the time we return to Essex next Monday.

Wishing you all a pleasant day ????

Roses Mon 19-Apr-21 08:50:41

Good morning it's a beautiful day and set to be seventeen degrees!

Had a lovely time at my son's yesterday then came home and planted out lots of seedlings which can get a little tedious after a while,then watched all episodes of The Intruder.

MARYDOLL I once had a pressure cooker explode and even the ceiling was covered in soup it took forever to clean up and it went in the bin after that . I can imagine that batter was just as bad and you may be finding odd blobs in the next few days.

Hope you all have the best day possible

Alygran Mon 19-Apr-21 08:51:57

Good morning from North Yorkshire. Another sunny start.
Another with clumsy hands here. I managed to chip my induction hob when cleaning yesterday by knocking one of the heat saving rods into it. The rod has been loose for a very long time and I am always careful..until yesterday. Grrr.
I visited a friend yesterday afternoon. She hasn’t been well for 18 months but we managed a slow short walk and had a lovely chat in the sunshine. I then joined DD2 on face time for dinner. She had made herself a roast, I had sea bass pasta. I had just started to watch CTM when the iPad buzzed again. It was DGS and DD1. We had a lovely chat. It must be the most people I have spoken to in a single day for a long time.
Off for a walk this morning to see if the swans are still on the local river.
Hope everyone has a good day. Stay safe.

Stilllearning Mon 19-Apr-21 08:59:26

Good morning from S Lanarkshire, largely grey shy but blue patches peeping through so here’s hoping.

Haven’t read posts yet, I’m going to walk to church, two miles round trip so exercise done in case I don’t get round to any more today. Will catch up with coffee when I get back.

That was a lovely picture yesterday Ashcombe, I sent it to my ex navy daughter and son in law and they were really pleased.
I also enjoyed your photo Gwenisgreat, I have a climber too!
GrannySomerset, I hope today is better.

Did anyone else join in the national scream at the end of Line of Duty last night???. My ‘phone a friend’ pal and I so enjoyed our laugh afterwards.
Wishing everyone a good Monday?

LauraNorder Mon 19-Apr-21 09:00:57

Good morning all from dry sunny Anglesey.
Welcome to Ryaig who joined us yesterday.
Spent a lovely weekend gardening, erected newly painted fencing, moved some climbers and painted the gates.
All looking very tidy and hopefully worth today’s aches.
Hoping for sunshine, laughter and a random pink flamingo for you all today ??cupcake

dragonfly46 Mon 19-Apr-21 09:06:12

It must be hard being a full time care GrannySomerset. These are for you flowers

BlueSapphire Mon 19-Apr-21 09:11:38

A very good morning from a bright and sunny ? Northampton. Slept in this morning; woke at 6.45, turned over and next time I looked at the clock it was 8.30!

Will spend this morning tidying up, then Hoover the stairs. This afternoon in the garden; one of my new plants is not happy in its pot, so will try it in a space in one of the borders. Hope to have time to sit and read in the sun. And also try the new cover on the love-seat.

Will now go back and read everyone's news. Take care everyone.

Nannagarra Mon 19-Apr-21 09:12:36

Good morning from the Sefton coast where it is sunny but still a touch chilly.
I’m thinking of booking an online session in bird recognition by song and flight pattern as the morning chorus is starting to reach its crescendo and the trees are not yet in full leaf. In days of yore (2019 and before) I went out with a friend who could ID such so I learned a lot about kestrels, rooks, crows, etc. Fascinating. I hope to meet up with the same friend in the Summer.
Thanks for the ‘mensh’ of 2 4 1, brook. You’ve spurred me on to cycle to the Co-op for a copy of the magazine. I can recommend membership of NT NannyJan53 - I just wish I still had a caravan to mooch around the country. If I could use strike through (iPad won’t comply) I’d write not envious much. grin
Have the best day you can and hold on to that flamingo!
?????

Kalu Mon 19-Apr-21 09:16:03

Good morning from a glorious sunny start to the day in Perthshire. Internet connection is a bit of a hit and miss, hopefully rectified today. Sitting in the sun for my second coffee, I am not complaining. ?

Lots of garden tidying up and dog walks with my friend which also involves, non stop blethering as we have so much to catch up with. Life almost felt normal as a few of us met up in another friend’s garden and cycling into the village.

What a day Marydoll! Made worse by the fact it was upsetting for you. ?. Escaping into a fantasy world in China gets my vote. ?

Have a pleasant day all.

EllanVannin Mon 19-Apr-21 09:17:07

Good Morning All x.
We're doing well with the weather but I wish it would warm up!

I'm itching to do some gardening/ planting etc. but there's no pleasure when there's an icy blast. I'm just no good in the cold at all and besides that you don't feel free when you're all muffled up with layers of clothing. What a whinge grin

Strange how I had that dream the other night that I was in South Africa and this morning's news about the " deliberately started " fires on Table mountain----wasn't me, honestly ! I was only looking for postcards grin

This is typical of dreams I used to have years ago when they were highlighted in the news in one way or the other, weird. It could be guaranteed that whatever I dreamt about there'd be a happening.

Had a lovely long chat with D in Oz yesterday morning. The time change confused her at first as there's now 9 hours difference and not 11, as they head into Autumn and us to Summer. They've got warmth, but have had a lot of rain in Sydney. She'd watched the funeral and had been impressed with the weather, but I told her not to be fooled as it's freezing.

That bloomin' log-burner is at it again, my nostrils are prickling, most uncomfortable, they should carry a health warning, runny nose, eyes watering and I'll be sneezing in a minute. This is what happens when I open a window to let " fresh air " in !

Some tidying up to do and a Zoflora soaked cloth around the kitchen and bathroom. Maybe a visit from D2 if the children are back at school and keep abreast of her news too.

Extra potato and veg from yesterday to fry for dinner today with some breadcrumbed chicken " things " (M&S) and I think I'll make a quick chocolate/ orange sponge cake to use up a couple of oranges before they shrivel.

Hoping everyone's well and enjoying the sessions of being out and about.

Marydoll your Chinese telly-viewing reminds me of a fantastic series which ran years ago and was called The Water Margin, what a fantastic series it was. I bought the full DVD series/ set for my GS one Christmas and it set him up watching Bruce Lee films and anything with martial art involved.

I've been known to watch Bollywood films on Youtube for a change-----costumes/ drama and squeaky singing, but love it.

Crumpets are calling so I bid you all a good day, take care and stay safe everyone.xx

Blossoming Mon 19-Apr-21 09:37:31

Good morning from sunny Lancashire. The met office have predicted a heatwave here this week. I have had a much better night, it makes such a difference. I have a hiatal hernia, diagnosed during my cancer scans a couple of years ago. When it flares up it is agony. I’m frightened of it becoming strangulated when the pain is so severe. The list of things I should and shouldn’t do is increasing! I had a very quiet day yesterday, sitting upright in a straight backed chair, eating very little, sipping water and sewing. I finished my flamingo face mask. I love the fabric, I think it has a William Morris look. It’s a beautiful teal coloured background that doesn’t really show on the photo of the finished article. I took another close up photo that shows it better. I still have some fabric left so will think of something else to make, perhaps a little pouch to store my sewing clips.

Hope everyone has a peaceful day.

GrannyOwl5 Mon 19-Apr-21 09:38:23

Morning everyone from north Kent where it is a bit cloudy; enjoyed the sunshine yesterday whilst sitting in the garden reading.

Second jab yesterday and so far no real side effects. Didn’t have to wait at the clinic so was in and out.

Not much planned for today. Having the house alarm serviced at the moment; remember that they were the last people in the house before the last lockdown. So the interior alarm will be making my ears sing any minute.

Hope you all have a good day

EkwaNimitee Mon 19-Apr-21 09:40:43

Good morning, Mick and All from a warm and sunny Carlisle.
I am still busy getting order out of chaos but hope to hit the online shops later. My first job this morning was testing my washing machine which has been unused for 6 months. The site people kindly connected it the other day so I loaded it, switched it on, heard it filling and went out to the garage. On my return, a dead washing machine with no power. It had tripped the circuit, presumably when it started to rotate. I put the switch back a few minutes ago and now my mental fingers are crossed!
Marydoll, I'm sorry for your frustrations. You do push the boundaries, which is the right spirit but.....Take care.
And a good day I hope for you and everyone with problems.