Gransnet forums

Chat

Allegedly, hanging one's washing out in the garden ruins the aesthetic look of the place [shock]

(178 Posts)
TerriBull Fri 23-Apr-21 15:19:47

So Edinburgh residents were told by a building developer. A "no washing outside" clause has been written into their title deeds. Completely unreasonable imo. Their gardens their private space!

Where would Naples be without it's washing ???

Any opinions on drying washing outside ? Personally I'm all in favour.

Onwardsandupwards Wed 28-Apr-21 16:49:04

There’s a lot more to Naples than washing lines! ?

Blossoming Wed 28-Apr-21 16:48:00

Elegran

Thinking of other things you were not supposed to do on a Sunday (see Melina Mercouri in my post at Apr-21 12:48) reminded me that the result of one of the sins used to be popularly said to be to produce ginger twins. Has anyone else come across that saying?

Mr. B is a ginger twin grin

MollyAA12 Wed 28-Apr-21 16:36:57

Crumbs. I would not live in a house where youcould not put washing outside. I know this happens a lot in America. What is wrong with builders like that? Maybe they neve change their underpants!

AGAA4 Wed 28-Apr-21 16:05:58

I like that poem. Maybe a bit of a rebel in my old age.

Petera Wed 28-Apr-21 10:40:41

AGAA4

Petera were they the vivid purple bloomers I saw flapping in the wind yesterday?

"When I am an old woman I shall wear purple"

www.scottishpoetrylibrary.org.uk/poem/warning/

AGAA4 Tue 27-Apr-21 15:39:06

Petera were they the vivid purple bloomers I saw flapping in the wind yesterday?

Petera Tue 27-Apr-21 12:43:29

AGAA4

I like to see a line of washing blowing in the breeze. Can't find anything offensive in washing drying outside.

Clearly you've never seen my pants...

Seriously though I first became a aware of this about 25 years ago when the residents of a housing estate near us got up a petition to stop one of their neighbours from hanging out their washing.

Maggiemaybe Tue 27-Apr-21 12:12:46

Aveline

It's all very well for those of you who have back gardens to comment. Life is not as straightforward for those of us living in flats.
As a matter of interest, do you hang your washing out in your front gardens?

There are no back gardens on my street. We all have front gardens though and we all peg out our washing in them. We haven’t been hounded out of town by pitchfork wielding mobs yet.

Savvy Tue 27-Apr-21 12:00:42

Aveline

It's all very well for those of you who have back gardens to comment. Life is not as straightforward for those of us living in flats.

There's a street not far from where I used to live, that had really long, thin front gardens, but only back yards. It's quite normal to travel down that street and see most of the front gardens with lines full of washing.

Rufus2 Tue 27-Apr-21 11:57:21

who in their right mind would dry sheets indoors on a sunny day,.
Caitlin Not someone in their right mind who doesn't wash them in the first place.
Support your local laundry service and provide employment opportunities! grin

Aveline Tue 27-Apr-21 11:53:51

Savvy Tue 27-Apr-21 11:44:54

I must admit, my guilty pleasure is watching my neighbour trying to hang her washing on her whirlygig in a high wind.

henetha Tue 27-Apr-21 11:07:01

That Edinburgh developer sounds snobbish, and unreasonable.
It's one of life's little pleasures, seeing the washing flapping on my whirly line. I always bring it in at night.

dizzygran Tue 27-Apr-21 10:57:06

No problem with hanging out washing - love the smell of freshly dried sheets, but neighbours leaving out washing for weeks - particularly if it rains, some of the washing looks very grey - and some bras that look way past their best - is not the best view. DI L have had a few giggles at the number of Y fronts on her neighbour's line - although they are very white!! Dry your washing but do remember to take it in. I much prefer tumble drying towels - they are much softer. Worth the cost

moleswife Tue 27-Apr-21 10:29:37

One of my greatest joys is to watch my washing blowing in the wind! At a time when we surely are all concerned over the impact of unnecessary use of energy - especially electrical items - so why would any developer want to put this constraint on the properties they hope to sell? Oh yes, because it MIGHT attract the sort of people that I wouldn't want to be living alongside of!!

Speldnan Tue 27-Apr-21 07:28:52

I hang mine out anytime I can all through the year. I have a dryer but use it as little as possible for environment reasons ( and the cost) would never buy a property with a stipulation like that.

Lollin Mon 26-Apr-21 22:26:04

I’m the only one who hangs out my washing. Very strange. Next door used to but not for years now.

Developers who make a noise clause would find their properties snapped up from what I keep coming across about noisy neighbours.

shirleyhick Mon 26-Apr-21 22:19:26

I love having my washing on the line and I would not move somewhere that it was not allowed

Caitlin Mon 26-Apr-21 22:13:34

Me too. Charlie girl, love to hang out all my washing, who in their right mind would dry sheets indoors on a sunny day,.

NanaPlenty Mon 26-Apr-21 22:04:17

In a flat where others have to see it I could understand it but not in a private back garden. Nothing better than line dried washing.

ALANaV Mon 26-Apr-21 21:17:18

The one thing I MISS having moved into a retirement flat is being able to hang the washing out !! I even looked at a lovely little bungalow at the weekend with a GARDEN then I remembered why I bought the flat ....hated being alone at night ...used to hear every noise going ! and I had planned so much travel and could lock it and leave it (never happened of course !) I do miss my garden, but NOT mowing it ha ha .....bungalow so tempting but I have to hold my hands behind my back and not make an offer .......plus of course I could have had a cat (or two !) but then, if and when travel resumes I would have had to put cats into the cattery ....not fair on them ...so I do at least have the beach on the doorstep which is nice !

NoddingGanGan Mon 26-Apr-21 20:32:59

So much for saving the planet!

Savvy Mon 26-Apr-21 20:08:57

Unfortunately some people class tumble driers as essential, the same as they class 4×4 for city driving, several foreign holidays a year, and new technology every time something new comes out. They just can't imagine life without these 'essentials.'

Bazza Mon 26-Apr-21 20:05:08

I thought we were all supposed to be saving the planet. Why on earth would anyone use a tumble dryer unless it was essential?

Musicgirl Mon 26-Apr-21 19:37:53

I, too, like to see washing on the line. It smells much fresher and it is much easier to iron the items that need ironing when they have been on the line. As others have said, much greener too.