Gransnet forums

Chat

Noisy neighbours.

(80 Posts)
Lilypops Sat 24-Apr-21 06:25:36

Notinthemanual, I did take a bottle of wine and a card , saying welcome and I hope you will be happy in your home as we have ,, the husband took it and thanked me, his wife didn’t come to the door, and she hadn’t been around at all to thank us and to say Hi , so I suppose that didn’t bode well , I feel so upset that they moved in with all this, Our peaceful existence in our home of over 50 years has gone ,

nanna8 Sat 24-Apr-21 04:25:10

Oh that’s ? awful. We have had it in a minor way with a young neighbour who likes to manufacture metal objects in the back garden. In the end we went and told him how the hammering echoed up into our house. We agreed on timeframes so he could do it whilst we were out and that really worked. No one wants to fall out with immediate neighbours but maybe if you got them to warn you when they are likely to have late night spa sessions? Probably they don’t even realise how loud they are. Really hope it improves for you.

Notinthemanual Sat 24-Apr-21 03:38:02

I think I would take a bunch of flowers to welcome them to the neighbourhood and politely let them know how much sound travels between the houses. They might be oblivious to how noisy they are, but they probably won't like the idea of you being able to hear their arguments.

I think people tend to respond better if they see a benefit to them.

If it persists, you could report them as Savvy suggested. Joining forces with other neighbours will carry more weight and limit the chances of feud starting.

Savvy Sat 24-Apr-21 02:25:21

If the children are young, I'd be tempted to call social services. It's certainly not a good environment to raise children in and you could report it anonymously.

If they own the house, you can report it to environmental health, if they rent, then a call to the landlord/letting agent is needed.

Either way, you can't be the only ones who hear them, especially if they are in the garden.

Lilypops Fri 23-Apr-21 23:35:26

Advice is needed please on noisy neighbours. They moved in next door a month ago , since then we hear them rowing between themselves and the children. The wife just seems to scream and rant , the kids answer back yelling, that sets of their two yappy dogs,
They are in their garden quite late at night in their hot tub , making a lot of noise,
I don’t want to come over as those grumpy old neighbours next door, but in 50 years of living in our house, we have never known anything like this, We dread to think what the coming Summer months will be like when they are all out in force.
Our garden wall is directly joined to theirs so we are up close to them. We don’t see much of them, but we certainly hear them , it’s upsetting us a lot , we don’t know how to handle this and certainly don’t want to fall out with them. We would rather be on friendly terms. Any advice on handling this situation please ,