Gransnet forums

Chat

Bra sizes, anyone?

(88 Posts)
Cabbie21 Sun 25-Apr-21 16:26:48

After essential shops reopened, I went to buy new underwear. I was not sure about bra size, so I picked three different makes and sizes to try on.
The highest number, which I expected to be the biggest, was too small.
The other two were a smaller size but different cup sizes. The D cup was smaller than the B cup!
Having made my choice, I went back to the racks to find another one the same. I struggled to find the right rack, then had to grovel at floor level to find the right size. Nothing in white, so I had to settle for flesh colour.
Why is bra sizing such a game of trial and error?

Lettice Sun 02-May-21 16:01:08

You should try finding any bra when you are over-plump with small breasts. Still looking!

Savvy Sat 01-May-21 11:19:50

I ordered 3 new bras last week, two were Curvy Kate, and was the only one I kept. One was made of really cheap fabric which wouldn't support anything (think bri nylon), through other was supposed to be white, but was definitely cream, and also had cheap lace which ruined both the look and the feel.

If I'm paying over £30 for a bra, I expect it to be made with decent quality fabrics.

muffinthemoo Sat 01-May-21 10:44:16

Fantasie are awesome for me. I like Curvy Kate too but only in particular styles.

GagaJo Sat 01-May-21 10:04:31

Pre breast cancer, I liked Bravissimo. Their sizing was quite accurate. I've found M&S useless for sizing although do wear their bras. I just keep trying until I find a size, a cup and a style that suits me.

True to form however, the bra I liked best, they stopped making about 5 years ago. Fortunately, I had a LOT so still have some. But when they wear out, I don't look forward to reentering the fray.

NotSpaghetti Sat 01-May-21 10:01:41

*little shop

NotSpaghetti Sat 01-May-21 10:01:26

Now you know what suits and fits I bet you could order it online somewhere in white if your littshop can't get it?

Cabbie21 Fri 30-Apr-21 13:53:23

Update on my purchase. I went back to the same store today. The bras I bought are so comfortable that I wanted more of the same. I could only find one in the same size, and that was flesh coloured when I really wanted white. It was so frustrating, having found one that fits so well and is so comfortable. I thought they would have restocked this past week.

oodles Fri 30-Apr-21 13:21:38

I went to Rigby and Peller some years ago, and came out with the most amazing well fitting gorgeous bras, which lasted and lasted. Need to go again as have put on some weight since, but it will be in the sale.

Copes283 Wed 28-Apr-21 08:25:23

Blink I agree with Bravissimo, recommended to me by my StepD! I favour Fantasie as does a friend of mine who is also "well endowed". I find I can go to "Uplifted Lingerie" who usually have something to fit me in their sales. 36FF is not the same at M &S, or Asda. I confess I've given up on all the others now that I have found Fantasie! But they are quite expensive and therefore I always hand wash and drip dry them to try to prolong their life. By the way don't use fabric softener as it shortens the life of the latex in your underwear, swimwear and those lovely jeans etc with stretch in them! And to cross over to another thread, I drip dry them outside! Tucked in the middle of my whirlygig line, hidden behind sheets/towels!! Hope this rather long post helps one of you. X

muffinthemoo Tue 27-Apr-21 21:55:25

Can I suggest the subreddit r/abrathatfits?

Absolutely brilliant resource for discussing comparative sizing between brands and also features of different models, e.g. high wires or pointier cups.

It’s helped me massively when buying online.

cc Tue 27-Apr-21 21:14:12

I shop in Bravissimo and if you know what size you are in a particular bra that they sell they can give you a pretty good idea of which bras are likely to suit you and how sizes compare in the different brands that they stock. They can even do this through the "chat" on their website. Their fitters know their huge stock very well and have often suggested a bra that works well for me.
I stopped buying bras in M&S years ago as they just don't work for me.
Bravissimo is expensive but they don't wear out or lose their support, though obviously the stretchy bits do soften in time.

Elizabeth1 Tue 27-Apr-21 20:28:04

I bought two white bras from m&s off the internet and by luck they fitted perfectly and they were nice and stretchy too. I’ll never buy underwire again that’s a definite no no. Good luck I think it’s just a trial and error.

Shizam Tue 27-Apr-21 20:08:13

Back in the day, I went to Rigby & Peller. Very expensive but amazing fitters. Now can’t stand underwired bras. Have just bought fairly comfy slip-on one by Couveture (sp?). Support is ok, wouldn’t go running in it. Basically, I hate wearing a bra these days. Also shoes! I have gone feral!

icanhandthemback Tue 27-Apr-21 18:33:43

My daughter sent me this site for getting the right size. It might be helpful:

www.booborbust.com

Flo53 Tue 27-Apr-21 18:21:28

Like BlueSky I have been wearing crop tops for several years now as they are much more comfortable than bras, although the removable padding can be a bit thick, although no padding at all is not an option for my very prominent nipples. I’ve recently made my own from a bikini pattern - very comfortable, and only need to put the padding where it’s needed.

grannypiper Tue 27-Apr-21 18:12:24

Have found M&S flexifit non wired to be the best bra i have ever worn. Have written to and emailed them to ask why they have the biggest sizes closer to the floor, have pointed out it is far easier to bend over if you are a size 10 with a 32a bust than it is if you are a size 18 with a 40DD, they have never answered !

Jillybird Tue 27-Apr-21 18:01:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chimes22 Tue 27-Apr-21 17:42:50

Doreen bras for me.excellent fit and wear well

Rosina Tue 27-Apr-21 17:30:35

I have worn M and S bras since i was ayoung teenager, and when I gained a little more bosom I was fitted by M and S with new bras. They were absolutely fine. When I needed more I bought the same size - oh disaster. They didn't fit anywhere, gaped round the ribs, I bulged over the top, and even after sending for a multitude of different combinations of cup size I came to the conclusion that M and S had completely changed every size. My original bras still fit perfectly, but are shabby. I'm interested to hear that they have a bra sizing guide - I'll look online.

CAH65 Tue 27-Apr-21 17:24:40

I am smiling reading all the comments- it is funny, but bra talk is necessary for me (and obviously for others!) as during COVID and being home all the time- I stopped wearing bras entirely and now am thinking I may need to invest in a few as we are all going out in public more. I hate bra shopping for all the reasons you all list!

Paperbackwriter Tue 27-Apr-21 15:09:44

I was sent by a magazine I used to write for to Rigby and Peller for a proper fitting. I got Mrs. Kenton, the absolute boss and she was quite fierce! No measuring, they just look at you. I spent my entire fee for that piece on two bras which I loved for a few years until I unaccountably grew out of them.. Mrs. Kenton lost her By Royal Appointment by mentioning fitting royalty in her autobiography. I thought that a bit harsh. She's no longer with us, sadly.

Paperbackwriter Tue 27-Apr-21 15:06:07

My current favourite bras are from Bravissimo and are labelled as 'bralets' although they aren't teeny and flimsy at all. No wires - have long given up on those. Worth checking out..

PaperMonster Tue 27-Apr-21 14:38:12

Boob or Bust are good. M&S don’t have a good reputation for fitting. I’d suggest going to an independent.

When I’ve had a bra fitting, the fitters have advised the cup style that’s most suitable for me too. I’ve now found the ideal style for me and, bonus, I don’t have to chop and stitch the straps due to my tiny shoulder/big boob combo!

grandtanteJE65 Tue 27-Apr-21 14:35:33

Buy your bras during your next holiday abroad whenever that is.

I have never heard of anyone havin this trouble in Germany, Denmark or Holland. A bra size is constant, unlike ladies' trouser sizes, which are a pain in the a**'!

Musicgirl Tue 27-Apr-21 14:34:30

I have started wearing bralettes rather than bras. They go in dress sizes rather than cup sizes and are both comfortable and supportive. They give a really nice shape too. TU at Sainbury's have some very pretty ones.