Gransnet forums

Chat

Bra sizes, anyone?

(87 Posts)
Cabbie21 Sun 25-Apr-21 16:26:48

After essential shops reopened, I went to buy new underwear. I was not sure about bra size, so I picked three different makes and sizes to try on.
The highest number, which I expected to be the biggest, was too small.
The other two were a smaller size but different cup sizes. The D cup was smaller than the B cup!
Having made my choice, I went back to the racks to find another one the same. I struggled to find the right rack, then had to grovel at floor level to find the right size. Nothing in white, so I had to settle for flesh colour.
Why is bra sizing such a game of trial and error?

Aveline Sun 25-Apr-21 16:59:58

The M&S online guide to bra sizing is very helpful. Using it I found I was not the size I'd thought I was at all and the new bras I then bought fitted perfectly.

Chestnut Sun 25-Apr-21 17:07:36

There is no point buying a bra unless you know your correct size. I agree the M&S guide will help and then you can order online rather than searching racks in the store, possibly without success!

midgey Sun 25-Apr-21 17:13:01

Trouble is if you don’t fit M and S bras it doesn’t matter what size you choose! I have found that you have to find the brand that suits you which makes life even more complicated. And another thing....(there are so many!) it also depends on how good the bra fitter person is!

Grammaretto Sun 25-Apr-21 17:29:46

I find it very hard to get the right size. I bought 2 online using the one I had which fitted as a guide I could still read the size on the label but I had to return them both. That was John Lewis.
I bought another 2 but kept them although they are a bit tight!
I seem to have had a growth spurt during Lockdown. grin
Underwear and shoes IMO are impossible to buy without seeing and trying on.

Loislovesstewie Sun 25-Apr-21 17:33:05

Sorry but M&S were useless at sizing me, John Lewis excellent. And the M&S bras were awful!

Aveline Sun 25-Apr-21 17:57:36

Did you use the online bra sizing system though? I set to with my reading glasses and measuring tape. It was a bit if a palaver but we'll worth it. I even did it twice just to be sure.

Cabbie21 Sun 25-Apr-21 18:35:47

All these comments are why I waited until I could buy in person after trying on.

Urmstongran Sun 25-Apr-21 18:48:16

I love bras in the ‘Autograph’ range in M&S. They are slightly more expensive (£25) but fit beautifully. I bought 4 on Monday. I love the colours too - jewel green was one and a gorgeous burgundy. I tried the M&S usual range and found they were more basic (at £16) with less generous styling.

Hellogirl1 Sun 25-Apr-21 21:05:05

I buy online from Damart, always the same bra, but in several different colours, and the fit is just right. I still measure myself according to the instructions in my daughter`s mail order catalogue years ago.

MissChateline Sun 25-Apr-21 21:08:46

Visited M&S last week for bra buying. Not allowed to try on in the changing rooms which are closed. Ended up in the toilets with a variety of sizes of bras and linen trousers to find the right sizes. How do they imagine that they will sell anything until they allow us to try clothes on ?

Redhead56 Sun 25-Apr-21 21:19:17

I usually get measured at M & S but this last year my cup size has altered. I was a 38 ee and it was perfect fit. I bought a few cheap bras a smaller cup size. They will have to do for now until measuring can resume.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 25-Apr-21 21:26:42

M&S were shocking when I went for a bra fitting, I used to go to beales and always got a good fit, but of course they are closed, since then I’ve measured myself and all fine, I prefer triumph bras

Aveline Sun 25-Apr-21 22:15:19

You really need to do the full online measurement. It's 100% more detailed than 'being measured in the shop'. Give it a try. It costs nothing and must be better than trying lots on in the hope of finding a good fit.

BlueSky Sun 25-Apr-21 22:29:58

Don’t bother with all that now. No need for bras during lockdown, now I found those crop top things plenty good enough and so comfortable!

NotSpaghetti Sun 25-Apr-21 22:39:00

I have never found an M&S bra that was cut correctly for me - but on the advice of people above thought I'd try the (apparently excellent) fitting guide.

If the make of bra you currently wear isn't on their list it won't let you progress.... so totally useless for me.

Mollygo Sun 25-Apr-21 23:49:22

M&S are OK, except when I buy 2 bras, same style, different colours, they can also be different sizes.

Kamiso Mon 26-Apr-21 00:15:28

I’ve been buying from Miss Mary of Sweden online. Going for comfort when I really have to wear a bra. Wide straps, wide underband to minimise digging in. Have to measure yourself but clear instructions given. The three I bought from there have lasted well despite me putting them in the washing machine. They are supposed to be hand washed.

My experience with M & S bra fitting was dire. The staff member doing it was totally indifferent. Told me a size and that was all. The blurb said they would bring you suitable bras to try on etc. I complained to customer services as I had to make an appointment (long before covid) and make the journey in to town.

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 26-Apr-21 10:20:28

I bought a bra from M&S last week, alas it's too small and will have to go back - never thought of taking it to the loo - what a good idea!! I have a Rigby and Peller bra which was fitted on me, was expensive and is the worst bra I own!! I used to buy fantasie? from figleaves - it's only recently that M&S has had my size - it was sheer comfort. I've decided in future to go for natural colour, cause it doesn't show through clothes and doesn't go off-white like whites!!

Alexa Mon 26-Apr-21 11:21:36

With aging and osteoporosis my spine has changed shape and , compared with my younger shape, if I wear a bra nowadays it has to be two sizes larger around my rib cage, and three sizes smaller cup.

Nannashirlz Mon 26-Apr-21 11:25:36

M&S are taking bookings to get your bra size checked. Instore if you want to get checked

beth20 Mon 26-Apr-21 11:29:45

Best thing about lockdown? No bra at all! Wonderful! smile

Newatthis Mon 26-Apr-21 11:39:07

What I would give for a bra that fits. i have been measured in numerous stores (all differently) and spent a large amount of money over the years.

jaylucy Mon 26-Apr-21 11:50:52

I only used to buy bras from M&S - that was until they began to be made out of the UK!
I had the same problem - bought several bras in the same siz and design that I liked and out of 4 of them, only the original one I bought fit comfortably.
So I then used to go to BHS (oh how I miss them!) and stock up in the sales.
Since then I have been purchasing bras from supermarkets - Tesco for me a good fit, as is Tu at Sainsburys. Asda's cup sizes are small as well as the bra straps for me bing a bit too thin for an E cup!
One thing that is annoying me at the moment - why do they have brightly coloured bras for summer wear? Tops are very often lighter in colour and thinner material and I'm past the stage where it is ok to be flashing my undies!

Blinko Mon 26-Apr-21 12:42:34

I find M&S bras sizing doesn't suit my shape for some reason. I always go to Bravissimo. They do a range of makes as well as their own. My bra size has changed during lockdown, so I ordered the next smaller size which fitted perfectly.