Gransnet forums

Chat

The smell of weed from neighbouring properties is getting really bad, so bad that we can smell it in our home if we have doors or windows open.

(122 Posts)
nuttylady Wed 28-Apr-21 09:40:35

We recently had a young girl with her 2 children move in next door and the smell of weed has got so bad some days we can't open doors or windows. she has several visitors young and old who all seem to smoke it.
We have other neighbouring properties where the smell comes from but the new neighbour is worse than all the others, even at 1am we smell it from the new neighbour as we have our bedroom window open every night all year round.
I know a lot of people smoke it but if they want to smoke it, it should be in their own home where it does not affect other people.

trisher Thu 03-Feb-22 10:53:22

Even 20 years ago when I was teaching the local drug dealer was well known to the community and the police, and his children attended the school I taught in. The idea that social services or the police will get involved because there are children isn't supportable. I think you have two choices, you could try getting friendly and on good terms with the girl so that you can eventually ask her to restrict her smoking or you can close your window.

rikkon Thu 03-Feb-22 10:32:53

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Sarnia Thu 28-Oct-21 12:12:49

keepingquiet

Cannabis ruined my son's life. Like alcohol, gambling or other dependency it has the potential to ruin the lives of people around them too. Unlike alcohol and gambling it is illegal, and therefore anyone supplying it may well be involved in other kinds of drug dealing. There is a whole supply chain that involves property theft, armed robbery, physical violence, gang warfare and the abuse and exploitation of children in county lines that involves prostitution and sexual abuse.
Lots of people extol its use without being aware of the impact it has.
And it stinks, and that stink lingers for weeks.
If it was my neighbour and I was smelling in on a daily basis I would certainly report it to the police.
You don't know what maybe going on behind the scenes that could be affecting the lives of others.

Excellent post. Illegal drugs worried me when my children were growing up and scare me even more now I have growing grandchildren. To me, cannabis is often a stepping stone to the harder Class A drugs. It seems rife throughout the world but nothing productive ever gets done to stop the misery it causes. Very brave of you to post on this thread.

Sarnia Thu 28-Oct-21 12:08:22

Baggs

I have clearly led a sheltered life. I don't know what cannabis smoke smells like. Is it unpleasant?

Personally I find it quite a sickening smell. Very distinctive. If you ever get a whiff of it I think you will be able to distinguish it again.

jessie324 Wed 27-Oct-21 21:45:57

This is really bad. We should not smoke around the children because it's not good for them, even if you are taking it for some <a href="https://buyweedpacks.com/">medical</a> reasons. Many people use to smoke to get relief from chronic pain.

Iam64 Wed 05-May-21 21:17:45

Keepingquiet, good post, thanks

keepingquiet Wed 05-May-21 17:09:11

Yes, it does make my blood boil when people trivialise its effects- it is also a product of modern slavery.
It is also extremely difficult to get agencies involved. Far more support is available for drinking and hard drugs, but the effect on families is just the same.
I have spent so many years trying to get help and support, it just isn't out there.

JaneJudge Wed 05-May-21 09:51:02

that's awful grandmajet, I'm very sorry sad

grandmajet Wed 05-May-21 07:52:01

My step nephew killed himself last year, in his forties, after years of mental ill health. He smoked in a great deal of cannabis in his time. Whether this was a cause or result of his problems we shall never know.

Urmstongran Wed 05-May-21 07:46:01

Sorry to hear that keepingquiet. It must be tough for you, reading this thread.

Seems cannabis isn’t the ‘innocent’ high of the 60’s and 70’s anymore because of what gets added to it. It’s more toxic. Young people are at risk. In may ways too it seems. So very sad.

keepingquiet Wed 05-May-21 07:41:40

Cannabis ruined my son's life. Like alcohol, gambling or other dependency it has the potential to ruin the lives of people around them too. Unlike alcohol and gambling it is illegal, and therefore anyone supplying it may well be involved in other kinds of drug dealing. There is a whole supply chain that involves property theft, armed robbery, physical violence, gang warfare and the abuse and exploitation of children in county lines that involves prostitution and sexual abuse.
Lots of people extol its use without being aware of the impact it has.
And it stinks, and that stink lingers for weeks.
If it was my neighbour and I was smelling in on a daily basis I would certainly report it to the police.
You don't know what maybe going on behind the scenes that could be affecting the lives of others.

Urmstongran Wed 05-May-21 07:29:24

Seems especially so in young adults EV. Something to do with the developing brain and the hippocampus. (in the article). Add a much more potent drug in with the cannabis and today’s users are not the gentle, relaxed hippies of yesteryear it seems.

EllanVannin Wed 05-May-21 07:23:53

I certainly agree that the withdrawal symptoms are a danger signal, Urmston.

Urmstongran Wed 05-May-21 07:19:12

“The marijuana of old used to be classified as a hallucinogen and was thought to not cause addiction because there was no identified withdrawal syndrome. This has changed and with the increased potency of THC there is a definite recognized withdrawal syndrome which includes increased anger, irritability, depression, restlessness, headache, loss of appetite, insomnia and severe cravings for marijuana”

I’m too much of a scaredy-cat to ever have taken it in my youth, thankfully! I’d rather drink alcohol and rely on measures I can see.
?

Urmstongran Wed 05-May-21 07:15:38

Backed up by an American scientist in 2018 here - it’s quite scary:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6312155/

Urmstongran Wed 05-May-21 07:11:23

I too have led a very sheltered life Baggs for which I’m grateful to be honest! I also have a poor sense of smell so haven’t/wouldn’t notice it. That said, I have read that today’s cannabis mix is so very much stronger than years back. Not quite the soft hippy trip it used to be, apparently.

mumofmadboys Wed 05-May-21 07:00:17

Ellen, I worked in the drug and alcohol field for years. Of course I have heard of and seen people with drug induced psychosis. It is just very rare with cannabis. Again cannabis " will more often than not exacerbate the symptoms of anxiety' is not true either.

Naninka Tue 04-May-21 22:43:49

I don't have a sense of smell although I doubt my 88 year old neighbour is a "pot-head".

EllanVannin Tue 04-May-21 18:09:57

mumofmadboys, and you know it doesn't cause psychosis ?

If a person already has symptoms of anxiety, taking cannabis will more often than not exacerbate the situation.
Have you never heard of drug-induced psychosis ?

Yorki Tue 04-May-21 18:04:16

Sago.. I didn't think of that, if the smell is that strong, she could be growing it, hence all the visitors. Its still disgusting around small children though, it needs reporting for the children's sake.

Yorki Tue 04-May-21 18:00:21

I find it quite disgusting smoking weed around young children, she should be reported to social services, it's not acceptable those poor children.

GagaJo Tue 04-May-21 14:04:41

Dinahmo

HannahLoisLuke

Baggs

I have clearly led a sheltered life. I don't know what cannabis smoke smells like. Is it unpleasant?

As a former cannabis smoker ( in the 70s) I can tell you it's quite a pleasant, but distinctive smell.
I haven't smelt the later variety but I believe it's a lot stronger and causes smokers to behave aggressively which good old weed never did. We just lounged around eating chocolate biscuits and listening to Pink Floyd or Santana☺️

Same here except it was the Velvet Underground

My old guy still gets the chockie bickie munchies after a spliff. All nicely relaxed and then next thing you know, raiding the cupboards.

mumofmadboys Tue 04-May-21 11:44:14

Cannabis rarely causes psychosis.
Irreversible damage to the brain is rare.
Psychosis doesnt always involve the devil.
Ellen I think you need to be more careful what you post rather than stating as fact what are merely views.
Green gran I am so sorry for your awful situation. Hope the judge sees sense. Can you speak as a character witness or have a statement read out?

EllanVannin Tue 04-May-21 10:06:32

GreenGran78, cannabis DOES cause psychosis in many, particularly those who you'd least expect at having a violent disposition.
It alters the brain and the damage it does is irreversible especially if taken over a long period of time.

Their psychosis always involves the Devil and/ or some other religious figure when they're having hallucinations. They become entirely detached from who they actually are and also their surrounds including those who they live with ( family )

They have voices in their head which are very real to them commanding them to " usually kill " those who are near to them, family mainly.

Your son needs psychiatric treatment, not a prison sentence. I'm sick of people such as the CPS who are quick to judge without knowledge on how some drugs badly affect people. It's normally the stronger strain of skunk that's now used.

If I were you I'd have a word with his GP first and foremost who'll then arrange for your son to see a psychiatrist. You need to do this as soon as you can as this will prove to the CPS that his action was a one-off and that also he's seeking help for his drug problem.

Anneishere Tue 04-May-21 09:05:04

My own personal views is that cannabis is becoming or has become a big part of society - just like alcohol & same was with nicotine - also I believe cocaine is regularly used now by a big part of society. All becoming accepted as a leisurely pastime. Anti-depressants are quite high too. Speaks volume to me about state of part of humanity. My addiction is crappy FOOD! ?