Gransnet forums

Chat

How old were you when you had your ears pierced?

(252 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Wed 28-Apr-21 20:00:40

I remember it well, I got mine pieced on my 13th birthday, went to the jewellers with my mum and felt very brave sitting there waiting for the needle, ? was disappointed I couldn’t have nice gold studs though , had to have the awful thin hoop, felt very grown up and couldn’t wait until Xmas few months later to get my first gold studs

mrsgreenfingers56 Sun 02-May-21 21:27:20

I was 26 and went to the local market and had them done and boy did I have red sore ears! But no regrets as enjoy wearing earrings. Don't like to see babies or very young girls with pierced ears though.

Nanna58 Sun 02-May-21 20:31:42

21, and I found it so painful ( I know - a wimp) I nearly didn’t have the second ear done, it was only the fact that asymmetric wasn’t a thing then that made me ‘ woman up’ !,?

GrannyTracey Sun 02-May-21 20:29:34

Age 15 , sprayed with numbing spray & pierced with a needle & a cork

Photocrazy Sun 02-May-21 20:03:52

43 after my 2nd son was born. I used to just wear clip on ones until one night when I went to get ready for bed I only had one earring on. I thought it must have dropped off in his cot, so I had him out of the cot and searched everywhere. I eventually found it, not in his cot thankfully and the next day I went to the jewellers complete with the baby in the pram and asked if they pierced ears and got the reply, "not on ones as young as that". After a bit of explaining that it was for me, I finally got them done!

Onwardsandupwards Sun 02-May-21 19:29:43

My ears were pierced when I was just two months old. Most Italians, especially from the south, have their newborn baby girls’ ears pierced as soon as possible. It’s a cultural thing. I’m glad I had mine done so early, I don’t remember a thing!

tictacnana Sun 02-May-21 19:22:32

I was 31. My Dad said that I looked like a street walker ! I love wearing earrings and feel undressed without them! I once saw a baby ( less than a year old ) who had pierced ears with great big gold and gem studs. He also had a big gold dummy , with a teat attached, a thick gold chain with his name in gold letters, an ID bracelet on each wrist. His head was shaved except for a floppy fringe and a little plait at the nape of his neck. Wonder what my Dad would have thought about that. ?

Hemelbelle Sun 02-May-21 19:06:05

I was 14 in January 1973 and went after school to a jewelers, with birthday money. Some months later I pierced by sister's ears and one of my brother's ears with sterilised needle and cork the other side!

BoBo53 Sun 02-May-21 18:51:30

ixion

Not brave enough to face my Mum any earlier ??

My Mum thought pierced ears were common! I waited til I was 30 before I felt brave enough!

BrandyGran Sun 02-May-21 18:36:09

72!

GrammaH Sun 02-May-21 18:34:35

40. A friend paid for me to get them done as my 40th birthday present. My mother thought only "common" people had pierced ears - despite telling her often that the Queen probably had pierced ears, she was adamant no daughter of hers would wear earrings. I used to wear earrings a lot until lockdown really when I couldn't be bothered with them. I thought the holes had grown over at one point which was a bit worrying as DH bought me some beautiful diamond studs a couple of years ago. Fortunately all is well but I now wear them more often again.

Aztra Sun 02-May-21 18:34:15

I never wanted my ears pierced after my sister had hers done + got a bad infection that lasted months. Then when I was 27 my mum + my sister told me as a birthday treat I was getting my hair done - marched me into a hairdresser where I was told I wasnt but I was getting pierced ears instead I protested but was held down and moved during one piercing - so now I have one wonky piercing + 1 straight. I wore earings while it healed but haven't worn them since and that was 30 years ago

Wong Sun 02-May-21 18:26:11

I as 19 and had it done in a jeweller's shop. What I couldn't see until I had to go through was that he was disabled. When we got in to the room where he performed his artistry, he pierced my ears by discarding his stick and leaning his elbows on either side of a galley type area to be able to stand with me sitting in front of him and proceeded to pierce. I was scared..... BUT it was painless and I had no after infections etc. and he was lovely.

Elvis58 Sun 02-May-21 18:16:39

12 years old.Had another set done 2 years ago a gap of 50 years!

Jillybird Sun 02-May-21 18:16:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rowanflower0 Sun 02-May-21 17:58:40

20. Never thought about it until I was away at uni. Never had much contact with people with pierced ears until then. It wasn't as widespread then.

Diane7 Sun 02-May-21 17:50:08

When I was 12 and I took my daughter to have hers done at the same age, on her birthday, it was a surprise and I hadn't told her.

Patsy70 Sun 02-May-21 17:43:43

TrendyNannie6, like you, I was 13 years old and my Nan took me to a local jewellers. I had the small gold rings. I’ve still only got the one piercing in each lobe!

Copes283 Sun 02-May-21 17:42:48

I was 21 and my mother had already had hers done and was able to wear such pretty earrings that I wanted "in". She laughed and said I was white as a sheet after I'd had them done! Bless her!

GrauntyHelen Sun 02-May-21 17:22:50

After my O grade results (16 I think) my Gran paid for me to have them done by way of congratulations

stella1949 Sun 02-May-21 17:14:23

I was 16 - when I went home with them, my older sister said "oh you look cheap !". She finally got hers done at about 40, so I returned the favour and said "Now you can look cheap like me !"

Cymres1 Sun 02-May-21 17:04:45

Have never wanted to have any piercing of any description. I saw the refugees in our local army camp as a child, some had had their jewellery forcibly removed as they were kicked out of the country and I never wanted anything that would catch in clothes.
I can admire what others choose to do, some are very pretty, but I wouldn't have a piercing for anything. As for some of the other things people stick through their skin it makes me actually nauseous.

Lin52 Sun 02-May-21 16:37:14

Aged 22, love my earrings, never go out without any in.

starstella Sun 02-May-21 16:29:09

I AM 71 AND NEVER HAD THEM DONE.I DIDN'T FANCY THE HOLES.

CBBL Sun 02-May-21 16:07:48

18. I was married by then. I wanted to be able to wear dainty earrings. Went to a salon for this. The clip on types of earrings were too large for my taste! Still wear earrings now (age 73), but have only ever had one piercing in each ear!

Nanananana1 Sun 02-May-21 16:07:45

I see I am not alone here in that my mother and grandmother used to say pierced ears were for common people, gypsies and sailors! That also included tattoos too!
Needless to say when I was 25 I had mine done and my Mum followed suit! I couldn't commit to a lifelong tattoo though, I change my mind too often!