Gransnet forums

Chat

Gransnet’s 10th Birthday

(97 Posts)
Marmight Sat 01-May-21 08:36:56

Gransnet will be 10 years old this month. Like many others I joined at its conception and now its membership has grown from a few hundred to thousands. At the beginning I found it a life saver particularly when my DH died suddenly and I was supported by many new friends, who over the years have become good friends in RL, some nearby and others far away. What are your memories/opinions/feelings of GN then and now? I tend to lurk these days and post less frequently and many well kent names and characters sadly no longer appear.....
(If there’s already a thread on this, apologies. Couldn’t find one on the long list!)

Granny23 Sat 01-May-21 12:30:51

I joined Mumsnet when DGS (now an almost 6ft 14 year old) was expected, I wanted to update myself on modern childrearing practices. There was a section for Grans on Mumsnet, which eventually led to Gransnet being set up as a sister forum. I was one of the first members. There seemed to be only about 20 regular posters (including Jingle, who seemed to feel that she must post on every thread, even to just say, "I know nothing about this") so everybody "knew" everybody. Since then it has grown and grown, with many "characters"becoming established. I still drop in most days but do not post often. When I do, I seem to be thread killer in chief, as many of my posts go unanswered.

Squiffy Sat 01-May-21 12:31:23

I joined about seven years ago after hearing the story on the radio about GreatNan’s disappearance and the practical and virtual support offered by GNetters. Very heartwarming ?

Parsley3 Sat 01-May-21 12:38:47

I joined when I first became a grandmother and my grandchildren will be 10 this year. There were fewer members then but the posts were not so different in my memory as they are today. The political threads were just as robust and I enjoyed the debates between Anniebach and Durhamjen who was Queen of the links. Perhaps posters are more ready to call out nonsense now that we have a few years under our belts. What I do like is that new posters are being made more welcome as there used to be a group who were quick to jump on them with “I’ve been here from the beginning” comments. I do find it sad that lighthearted is being added to titles as this is not necessary. However, the country has been through a lot with Brexit and COVID so we can be forgiven for sometimes feeling that this is no time for frivolity. This will pass.
As for the moderators, they used to join in with personal comments and I miss that.

kittylester Sat 01-May-21 12:43:03

fanny the parties were a bit like the Argy but with added broomstick as far as I remember. The most memorable one was an excursion to Pendle Hill (?) I think everyone got home safely.

We didnt seem to get trolls in the early days.

FannyCornforth Sat 01-May-21 12:46:43

Thank you Kitty, they sound excellent smile
I don't know the story about GreatNan - what happened?
(Sorry for all of the questionsblush)

annodomini Sat 01-May-21 12:56:53

I joined after the first week or two. I remember a lovely welcoming tone when I first appeared on the scene. Some of the original members are still on the scene, though their voices are sometimes drowned by those of more recent arrivals. I have made good friends and have regular 'coffee dates' with one who lives close by. We have watched the progress of our grandchildren who were either unborn or toddlers when we first met; shared the anguish of some grans and celebrated the joy of others. Here's to the next ten years.wine

grannylyn65 Sat 01-May-21 13:06:52

What happened to Jingles?

FannyCornforth Sat 01-May-21 13:13:59

grannylyn Jingles sadly died a couple of months ago.
There was a very long thread. Her son posted on it.

ixion Sat 01-May-21 13:23:49

I put 'greatnan' in to the search box here a while back and was able to follow the very sad story (to save any distress to her friends still posting to the site)

FannyCornforth Sat 01-May-21 13:27:27

Thank you ixion
I've been told the sad story now.
(The search function doesn't work for me, it doesn't for a lot of people unfortunately)

ixion Sat 01-May-21 13:29:43

Have you been given any reason why not from HQ?
It does seem a shame.

FannyCornforth Sat 01-May-21 13:32:01

No, I haven't mentioned it, but I've seen quite a few threads about it.
GNHQ say that they are working on it, if I remember correctly...
It does seem odd, as it works fine on Mumsnet and it seems to be exactly the same set-up.

Anniebach Sat 01-May-21 13:40:16

kittylester I went on that excursion on Fred my scooter but
only got as far as the Severn Bridge, Fred’s battery went flat

kittylester Sat 01-May-21 13:42:32

Jingles was a great character. She was suspended a few times (I think) and eventually banned. She sneaked back a few times under different names but was always recognisable.

Luke maw's recent banishment, there was no real reason to bar her either.

Galaxy Sat 01-May-21 13:44:58

It doesnt work for me either fanny and is also fine for me on MN.

SueDonim Sat 01-May-21 13:50:29

I’m not sure when I joined GN. Quite a few years ago, anyway. I morphed over from Mumsnet, when my ‘autumn crocus’ last baby grew up a bit and was joined by grandchildren. smile

I’ve never been a prolific poster and often feel invisible, maybe because others have usually said it before me. I’ve had contact off board with three or four other members over the years, though. I take breaks, too, particularly if GN keeps me awake when I go to bed - I know I’ve overdone it then!

The prominent names have certainly changed in that time, though I’m lousy at noticing name changing. I had no idea about Jingles’ multiple personas until very recently. It all went over my head. confused

I do like to see other people’s viewpoints on topics. It’s never a waste to find out how other people see matters, providing an insight into their opinion even if I don’t agree with them.

JCFrance Sat 01-May-21 14:28:18

I can’t remember when I joined, I’m like SueDonim by the time I receive the email the topics are often several pages long and I’ve nothing left to add, I enjoy the diversity of opinions and don’t always agree but that’s life and if I find one stressful I just leave it and read another. Here’s to the next 10 gransnet ???

SueDonim Sat 01-May-21 14:32:10

I haven’t heard of GreatNan, or if I had, I’ve forgotten the entire thing. 2013 was a busy year for me, so maybe that’s why it went past me. However, I searched and found the story - how sad. sad

GRansnet’s own search doesn’t work for me so what I do is go to Google, type in the relevant name/word followed by Gransnet and that will bring up some links. It’s how I found the above threads about GreatNan. Hth.

Aveline Sat 01-May-21 14:38:27

The GN conference in Edinburgh in 2016 was great fun, expertly organised by Elegran. Among other activities we extracted the DNA from strawberries and had a lovely lunch. There were party bags too. I still use my 'Gransnet 2016' biros for my crosswords.
Other meals out too including Christmas lunches and Burns celebrations sometimes at someone's house and sometimes in various clubs or hotels. Occasionally we travel further afield too. It will be great to get back to those outings (and lunches!)

Ellianne Sat 01-May-21 15:03:59

I came to GN on the moving house thread which is still going strong. I also had a nice meet up with other GNs from that thread last summer.
I like the threads which include photos, (not too personal), as I'm a visual kind of person. The GM thread is good for that.
I like talking about cookery, home décor, pets etc. I hope in the future a travel/holidays thread with different locations will crop up.
Nearly everyone is friendly and kind.
Perhaps those few who are unpleasant find it difficult to look on the bright side due to circumstances. I too back off if things get nasty.
Happy 20th birthday Gransnet, a God send during lockdown!

Pittcity Sat 01-May-21 15:10:47

Still use mine too Aveline

Rufus2 Sat 01-May-21 15:30:38

I've been told the sad story now
FannyC Yes! Vey sad. October 2013. sad
She appeared to be quite a character and left a huge legacy of jokes which are still in GN archives and which she freely admitted were plagiarised
I, in turn, have plagiarised many of them and it's interesting to note that what were very popular then, now raise hackles!
Have the Puritans made a comeback? hmm
OoRoo

SueDonim Sat 01-May-21 15:35:50

I must live in a cave! I had no idea about a conference in Edinburgh even though I’m in Scotland.

Urmstongran Sat 01-May-21 15:39:39

I think I’ve been a member for about 5 years and a more prolific contributor these last 3 years. In fact some days I think I’m addicted but I’m sure a combination of good weather and meeting up (indoors on chilly days) with family & friends will stop my gallop a bit.

Actually I like the anonymity of Gransnet. I’d not want to meet-up at gatherings in real life.

Grannycool52 Sat 01-May-21 15:41:16

I joined Gransnet about 4 years ago and loved it. However, last year it seemed to become rather rancorous, with some posters writing quite nasty responses to others' genuinely felt posts. I opted out for a while but have recently returned and am finding it much more pleasant again. Most regular posters seem to be lovely people.