Gransnet forums

Chat

any one STILL with AOL like me?

(10 Posts)
NotSpaghetti Mon 03-May-21 01:20:08

I think maybe we had Pipex before Aol... is that possible? I know we had a dial-up for years. Aol was our provider (I think) from about 1992 but by 1995 we'd left it for Eclipse Internet who were the very best supplier we had until they were bought out. What fantastic customer service we had from them in the early days.

Maggiemaybe Mon 03-May-21 01:09:08

Apparently there is an aol scam doing the rounds now, infoman, where you’re told that your account will be deleted if you don’t update it.

Don’t click on any links and just delete it.

Maggiemaybe Mon 03-May-21 00:10:01

Oh no! I’d better bring myself up to date before I apply for that CEO post then.

Seriously, the last thing I’m going to worry about is whether I have a cool email address. I do have a gmail account as well, amongst others, but thanks for the advice anyway, Chestnut.

Chestnut Sun 02-May-21 23:37:05

I didn't realise AOL still existed to be honest. I associate it with the 1990s. It doesn't have the level of security that other like G-Mail have today. You can easily open a free e-mail address with G-Mail (Google).
I would never click on a link or respond to anything as it is likely to be a scam or dangerous to your computer or device.

AmberSpyglass Sun 02-May-21 23:15:59

Apparently you’re statistically less likely to get a job if you have an AOL email address listed on your application form, because it suggests that you don’t keep up to date with technology...

Maggiemaybe Sun 02-May-21 23:05:47

I’m still with aol. I didn’t think anything of it till someone commented the other day that there couldn’t be many of us left. smile I couldn’t be bothered to change my email address, tbh.

I was notified by email a few months ago that I would no longer be able to access aol on my iPhone the way I always had, and had to use another route I was given a link to. I was a bit dubious, but did as I was told and haven’t had any problems since.

Anniebach Sun 02-May-21 21:07:34

I haven’t received one. Why is it old fashioned?

BlueBelle Sun 02-May-21 20:12:09

Sounds like a scam

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 02-May-21 20:10:20

I’m still with them and haven’t had an email, in fact when I opened my Account this morning I was told I was a treasured customer! Maybe you received a spam email ?

TBH most people express surprise that we are still with AOL, apparently it’s soooo old fashioned.

infoman Sun 02-May-21 18:18:15

had a "AOL"? e-mail saying my account will be terminated this May 5th has any one else had some thing smimilar?