Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you remember your first car?

(72 Posts)
cb1963 Sun 02-May-21 23:28:43

I had just passed my driving test and couldn't wait to have my own car.
I remember it was a Ford Cortina. The paintwork was not too good so I decided to hand paint it myself ( maybe not such a good idea) but I thought it was the bees knees.
Can anyone remember their own first car?

Hithere Sun 02-May-21 23:29:50

Corolla, still miss it. Such a good car.

GrandmaKT Sun 02-May-21 23:49:46

I had a Renault 5. It had a gearstick that came out of the dashboard (parallel with the floor). As I was driving through a busy underpass in Birmingham the gear stick came off in my hand!

Sundaze Sun 02-May-21 23:57:34

Mine was a mini. I loved it, even with its multitude of faults...a sliding drivers door window that wouldn't slide, hydro elastic suspension that required pumping up for a past time.
Carpets that were sodden from leaking door seals. A passenger seat that was temperamental as to whether it would tilt to let rear passengers in or out.
A starter motor that needed coaxing by rocking the car-or hitting tapping it with a hammer. A manual choke which required such precision to keep the engine running without flooding it.
Happy days! smile

crazyH Mon 03-May-21 00:18:23

Mini metro- blue

geekesse Mon 03-May-21 00:23:55

Lime green Marina. Terrible car!

Taylor2016 Mon 03-May-21 00:38:39

Nissan Micra which I purchased from my driving instructor as he retired on the day I passed my test!

MayBee70 Mon 03-May-21 00:40:55

Morris 1000 Traveller. I still have his number plate.

FarNorth Mon 03-May-21 01:19:00

Morris 1300.
I was very sad when it couldn't limp through the mot any more because of rust underneath, and a large hole in the floor - luckily in the back.

MayBee70 Mon 03-May-21 01:26:07

My ex learned to weld so he could keep our Moggie going but eventually it was the red certificate. He went for spares.

nanna8 Mon 03-May-21 02:04:19

Huge Holden premier estate really battered but a lot of metal to protect me !

Purplepixie Mon 03-May-21 03:36:57

A weird shade of green Hillman Avenger. I loved that car. Twin exhausts and sounded like a tank. The driver side door came off in my hand and rust took over. Happy days.

Kim19 Mon 03-May-21 03:41:08

Triumph Herald convertible for me. Beautiful black with white flash along the side and red leather upholstery. I called her minstrel. Can still remember the number plate (even though I can't remember what I did yesterday!). Crazy kind of love.......

silverlining48 Mon 03-May-21 07:06:44

The first car I drove (but didn’t own ) was a mini which had been provided by my work. I had got the job provided I passed the driving test, so no pressure! Luckily at 25, I did.

NotAGran55 Mon 03-May-21 07:22:24

Mine was a beautiful green Wolseley Hornet with tan leather seats . Like a mini but with a little boot and ‘nose’ that lit up smile

I absolutely loved it and parked it in a specific position on the road outside so that I could see part of the front and side views from my bedroom window in the morning when I got up .

I loved driving from the moment I sat behind a wheel and still do to this day in my black John Cooper Works mini .

BlueBelle Mon 03-May-21 07:24:05

Not had one yet ???

Krispii Mon 03-May-21 07:30:41

Mine was also a Moggie Minor in British Racing Green.
My car was three years older than me and the floor was mostly made up of patch welds. Every year at MOT time, another patch. No mod cons. No seatbelts. Manual choke.

I wonder how today's kids would cope without electric windows, air conditioning etc!

BigBertha1 Mon 03-May-21 07:32:01

Not exactly my first car but an early one and my all time favourite red a bright red Citroen 2CV called Poppy. I was a District Nurse.

maydonoz Mon 03-May-21 07:35:56

Mine was a white mini, bought from a friend of my then BF now DH. I called her Dilly because of number plate. She was a great little car, was stolen on two separate occasions but was found by the police before I was able to claim the insurance, which was a month later.
When we sold it after three years we got more than we paid for it, it was so well cared for!

harrigran Mon 03-May-21 07:43:35

Turquoise Ford Anglia, the one the Weasleys had in Harry Potter.

shysal Mon 03-May-21 07:59:51

A Morris Minor. Bought it in the late 60s for £40 and sold a few years later for the same amount. That was our first car after marriage, but the first of my own was a Seat Ibiza.

Calendargirl Mon 03-May-21 08:00:02

Never had my own car, but back in the early 70’s, my then boyfriend (now my DH) bought a Ford Anglia van for £40. We hand painted, with paintbrushes, the outside, a lovely dark blue, and the inside a light blue. He also installed a pair of seats in the back so we could carry another couple.

Happy days, no worries about seat belts (none existent in the back anyhow) or how amateurish it probably looked.

cb1963 Mon 03-May-21 08:39:41

NotAGran55
I've always loved the feeling of independence when you can just jump in and drive wherever you please.

NannyJan53 Mon 03-May-21 08:41:34

A grey mini van. It cost £60, lasted a year when I sold it for scrap for £10! This was 1974. I cannot remember what the next car was.

Anniebach Mon 03-May-21 08:51:22

A black Standard 10 , loved her