Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning May Bank Holiday Monday

(85 Posts)
12Michael Mon 03-May-21 06:04:28

Good Morning Everyone,
This morning is looking dry at the moment but with grey skies here in brackley.
my day, some housework, and laundry plus a small shop, otherwise its stay in today, and my favourite sport is not on today, so will maybe have good nap in the afternoon.
Take Care,
Mick

Urmstongran Mon 03-May-21 20:21:08

Ooh I read that a couple of years ago Blue. It’s very atmospheric isn’t it? A great read.

BlueSapphire Mon 03-May-21 20:19:40

Urmston, I didn't get round to watching the film! I started on my book club read (The Dry by Jane Harper), and it was so good I couldn't put it down, and am now nearly halfway through. A good thriller, which I don't normally like, but I have to find out whodunnit!

muse Mon 03-May-21 14:44:50

A very late good morning Mick and all from a blustery showery Cornwall.

Been catching up with TV and a few review sites this morning. Had to have another lie in. I think the time as come to contact the doctor about my hip which is only really troubling me when lying down. Back on the painkillers to help me relax.

Off for another walk with Mya. Car still being sorted so it's a wander through the woods.

I'll settle with a coffee when I get back and read everyone's news.

Urmstongran Mon 03-May-21 13:44:04

Loved those 2 tales EV it was like an episode of ‘Call the Midwife’ (well, not babies but YKWIM!). Of its time and day anyway. I imagine it being in the 1970’s when you said ‘I whipped off my underskirt’. I don’t know anyone who buys/wears one nowadays.
?
Anyway, enjoyed the stories nice to share.

Susan56 Mon 03-May-21 13:42:58

Just popped back to say Happy birthday to NnannyTopsy?????

Also to say hope Marydoll is ok and recovering from her reaction to the second vaccine.Thinking of you Mary?

Jaxjacky Mon 03-May-21 13:26:49

Just popped back in have a very Happy Birthday Nannytopsy ???

GrannyGravy13 Mon 03-May-21 13:13:35

Nannytopsy wishing you a flamingotastic birthday ???

GrannyGravy13 Mon 03-May-21 13:12:54

Hi Purplepixie we had chicken and ham pie last night, scrummy.

Greyduster Mon 03-May-21 13:07:46

Happy Birthday Nannytopsy??. Have a lovely day. Welcome Purplepixie!

Purplepixie Mon 03-May-21 13:00:41

Thank you ? ? ?

Blossoming Mon 03-May-21 12:52:40

Glad you decided to join us PurplePixie. I love mince and onion pie ?

Mapleleaf Mon 03-May-21 12:48:25

Good afternoon, all.

I hope you are enjoying this bank holiday Monday, despite the weather. I suppose the gardens need it, but it's a shame that it's chosen the holiday Monday to rain at its heaviest. I decided that the bathroom needed a good fettle, with things removed to dust and wipe down, tiles washed and cleaned, etc. I always keep the bathroom clean, of course, but every so often, it needs a deep clean, so today was the day as the weather isn't conducive to sitting outside. Anyway, all done now, so enjoying a coffee.

I hope you enjoyed your birthday yesterday, mick and had a little treat. Belated birhday wishes to you ??.

Not sure what's on the agenda next, but I am working my way through the CD of Wolf Hall so may listen to some of that whilst I iron.

Glad you decided to post on this thread, Purplepixie. Your pie sounds delicious. I agree as well, that corned beef and potato pie is a treat, too. ?

I love York, Party4 and before all the lockdowns, DH and I would go regularly. We've enjoyed the boat trip several times and the open topped bus ride. There's a very nice Italian restaurant we go to as well - I do hope they have survived all these lockdowns.

Good to know you are safely back home, dragonfly and hope you are having very lazy days to recover. ?

Well that's my news for now. Enjoy the rest of the day if you can and take care.

EllanVannin Mon 03-May-21 12:35:43

PS. it was still morning when I began the post smile

EllanVannin Mon 03-May-21 12:34:24

Good Morning All x. Happy Birthday Nannytopsy x
Rather damp outside as the rain started yesterday evening just after I got the towels off the line. They'd dried beautifully even though the day was dull.
Put them on the maiden to air then into the linen cupboard this morning.

Decided to do the ironing as well because I knew once I sat down it wouldn't get done.
Had a couple of hair-raising days the first was when I locked myself out on Saturday---first time I'd done that. I'd been to the corner shop so had my trolley with supplies. Went to my neighbour who rang another neighbour whose garden leads to my flat and fortunately he got through the bedroom window which was ajar and then opened my front door. Phew !

I'd left the keys inside the lock when I let myself out to the shop. Hooray for neighbours.
Then last night before LoD I realised that I hadn't seen one of the cats for an hour but remember letting her out into the garden. I couldn't rest, going to the front then the back calling her. Then I got my coat on and looked up and down the road----not a soul about.

Sat and watched a bit more of the programme and meanwhile left my bedroom window open just in case she came in from the garden. Still no sign but thought to myself at least she's tagged, though in 6 years she's never wandered.

Reluctantly went to bed and just lay there thinking all kinds of things and it must have gone midnight, then I heard her snoring ! Little so and so had found a speck under the bed between suitcases near the headboard and was oblivious of my distress or the fact that I'd been calling her.
I'd go hairless if I lost her.

So pleased you were allowed home Dragonfly. The medication should do the trick. It's not a nice sensation.

Sorry you had to witness an accident Sar, they're never nice to see but at the same time you feel that you have to try and help in some way even if it's to talk to the poor person. Good for you.
Twice that has happened to me. Once was when a woman collapsed on the bus and fell and cut her head on the floor of it, so ( what did I do ?) I whipped off my underskirt and folded it like a pillow for her head while someone phoned for an ambulance. I gave the ambulance chap an empty plastic bag to dispose of the underskirt.

Next time it was an old man who'd been hit while crossing the road and down he went. He also had a head injury and was bleeding so I sent someone across to a shop for a couple of dusters. One to keep his head from contact with the road and the other I used to take his false teeth out in case he choked. Someone from the shop had phoned for the ambulance and I handed the paramedic the duster with his teeth grin and said " don't say I never give you anything ".

No wonder I've never been bored in my life !
Never a dull moment. Though I'm making up for it now.
Left-overs today from yesterday's delicious lamb roast.

I don't expect many of you will be going so far today in this miserable Bank Holiday of rain and cold. What a washout.
Anyway I wish you all well with thoughts to those struggling xx

Litterpicker Mon 03-May-21 12:08:27

Good morning, not quite midday yet. Sunny and blowy here in West Sussex, with big white and grey fluffy clouds. I think the wet weather is due to arrive by the evening.

I was resisting a second biscuit with my coffee when DH decided I should check what I had in a savings account that we set up in my name, about 8 years ago. I am very lazy and easily bored so I let him do all the money management. It turned out to be quite simple to check with card reader and PIN but I was so stressed at the thought that I have ‘had to’ have a finger of kitkat to recover ?

I am glad to hear you are feeling a bit better today Auntieflo.
Belated “Happy Birthday Mick and “Happy Birthday” *Nannytopsy”.

EkwaNimitee I have been reading that thread about “stuff” as well. I’m not planning a move but will have to clear living room and hall to have new flooring laid. There is a largish bookcase in the hall and three”Billy” (IKEA) bookcases in the living room. The thought of packing all that up and finding somewhere to put it is very offputting. The spare bedroom will have to be cleared for family coming in July. I will not start trying to describe what’s in there. I was going to sort everything out during lockdown last year!

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 03-May-21 12:07:22

Sars53 you must be traumatised by that accident, I certainly would be. hope you a re feeling better today.
Yes, where is Pantglas Marydoll
Make the most of Cambridge Brooks that is where we were just before this all broke out, I wasn't sure if we would get home. Our main purpose in Cambridge was a funeral, but we decided to to a bit of exploring the city while we were there. Had visited once in the 70s just for an afternoon. It was a lovely city to visit, loved the museum/gallery.

dragonfly46 Mon 03-May-21 11:47:12

That is a good reminder Urmston. That is why I never post pictures of the DGC.

Roses Mon 03-May-21 11:35:22

Happy birthday Nannytopsy?

Urmstongran Mon 03-May-21 11:32:59

Just a reminder for us all that this (GN) is a public forum. I was just reading an article in today’s Telegraph about Covid anxiety and this caught my eye ...

“Thoughts like these are echoed in online messaging forums. “The virus hasn’t gone away,” wrote one Gransnet user last month. “Even if like me you have had both vaccinations, there is no guarantee a variant won’t turn up and require more and different vaccines. I don’t intend to go daft now, just because someone says we can.” Another replied: “I’ve got used to living the way I do now and will find it difficult to live normally again.”

Grandmajean Mon 03-May-21 11:32:40

Many happy returns *Topsy8

Nannagarra Mon 03-May-21 11:16:21

Happy birthday topsy!
??????

brook2704 Mon 03-May-21 11:10:50

A very Happy Birthday nannytopsy enjoy your special day! ????

Lin52 Mon 03-May-21 11:08:11

Good morning everyone from NELincs, good Bank holiday weather here, but did manage to give my shed a birthday before the rain set in. Lovely to read threads from everywhere, hope you all have a good day.

Blossoming Mon 03-May-21 11:01:02

Good morning all from rainy cool Lancashire. It’s too damp for our planned trip to the garden centre, we can go tomorrow or Wednesday instead. We need weed killer for the gravelled area and doubtless a few impulse buys too ?

Have the best day all. Welcome to any new members I might have missed and a wave to any Lurkers. I wonder if the “oneupmanship” lady is still keeping count? Hugs for anyone that needs one, they’re free and no strings attached flowers

EkwaNimitee Mon 03-May-21 10:51:53

Good morning, Mick and everyone from a damp Carlisle where rain is setting in now.
Yesterday I went to the garden centre early to buy compost to refill my large containers plus plants to put in them. I did get round to mowing the lawn in the afternoon. It was quite dry again so a good amount of rain will be welcome.
As for today, a large pile of ironing is looking at me. It may be started....but I have cull fever at the moment. I have been embarrassed by the amount of stuff I have moved into the new place and, encouraged by a thread on another forum, I am determined to cut it down. It’s a good wet day job.
Good to see better news from those who have been suffering, may it continue and I hope those on holiday and having meet-ups are having an enjoyable time.