Gransnet forums

Chat

Not allowed to pray

(49 Posts)
Newatthis Mon 03-May-21 10:44:39

I have just read this on the BBC news and I cannot understand why this is being allowed in our society. I cannot see it happening in a Christian church, or any other place of worship and I am sure it would be illegal.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56937289

Newatthis Tue 04-May-21 15:33:08

The opening sentence to the article included -

'But some mosques in the UK are not allowing women inside to pray'.
I was shocked that the women weren't 'allowed in' to pray, not that they weren't allowed to pray - we can pray anywhere no matter what religion you are.. Normally women are separated but they are allowed in so someone in these mosques have said men 'yes' but women 'no'.

Hopikins Tue 04-May-21 14:52:07

I think this is simple. Men are imperfect and need to pray to improve. Women are perfect and don't need to pray.(grin)

M0nica Tue 04-May-21 14:42:20

Being in separate wards is not about discrimination it is about privacy. If the wards are the same standard wards with access to all the same staff and resources, there is no discrimination.

I have reported the two unpleasant posts. They both smack of stupid teenagers with empty heads and nothing to occupy them.

Oldwoman70 Tue 04-May-21 14:29:46

3nanny6 "There are two post that look very dodgy to me one from Shaniqgran at 11.04 and the next one from
SusAngela at 11.05 not nice at all"

I think they are both the same person - either than or two schoolkids who think they can shock the grannies (how wrong can they be!)

3nanny6 Tue 04-May-21 13:38:53

Newatthis (original Poster) Just enquiring if this thread is a sort of wind up? There are two post that look very dodgy to me one from Shaniqgran at 11.04 and the next one from
SusAngela at 11.05 not nice at all.

I was going to post on this thread but will not bother and cannot even be bothered to report those posts.

muffinthemoo Tue 04-May-21 13:35:54

Heigh ho heigh ho, it’s off to report I go

Redhead56 Tue 04-May-21 13:28:45

I know the difference between privacy and discrimination. The point is I should have been given the choice but I wasn't.

simtib Tue 04-May-21 13:14:49

Chestnut

simtib And of course 'no exceptions' means mixed hospital wards too. I don't think you have thought this through properly.

OK there may be some exceptions but only where it is absolutely necessary and impossibly to work with out segregation. A hospital ward does not have to be in one room. With a little thought and consideration of others most problems can be avoided and privacy maintained.

Redhead56 on a mixed or on an unmixed ward you should still have the right to privacy. Privacy is not the same thing as discrimination.

Hithere Tue 04-May-21 12:59:36

Why do women have to be segregated (in general) because men cannot behave like human beings?

Education is key

SusAngela56 Tue 04-May-21 11:05:36

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Shaniqgran Tue 04-May-21 11:04:53

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Chestnut Tue 04-May-21 10:57:33

Well exactly Redhead56 which is why women often need to be segregated from men as they have bodily issues that men don't have including periods. Toilets and hospitals in particular should be segregated.

Redhead56 Tue 04-May-21 10:53:59

When I had my daughter I was breast feeding and a had a milk cyst that needed draining. I was sent to
hospital as a day patient with my baby it was a mixed ward. Trying to feed my baby was a nightmare having men opposite me glaring. I asked for the curtains to be closed and was refused. I was told because it was a mixed ward it had to be open. It was very embarrassing for me and upsetting being on public display is not for me. Everyone needs their own private space no matter what it is for.

Chestnut Tue 04-May-21 10:10:13

simtib And of course 'no exceptions' means mixed hospital wards too. I don't think you have thought this through properly.

Chestnut Tue 04-May-21 09:53:24

simtib so you're happy with mixed prisons, mixed toilets and no single sex schools? Why can't women have their own space if they want to? The WI is voluntary, no-one has to join, it's not like a religion where both sexes have to participate.

simtib Tue 04-May-21 07:07:42

Chestnut

I don't see a problem with voluntary organisations like the WI, Guides or Scouts being for one sex only. No-one has to join them and I can't understand why any of them have to be open to both sexes. A religious organisation has to be open to both sexes, but it's their decision how they wish to worship. If the women of that religion feel there is discrimination then it's up to them to protest.

I consider all forms of discrimination and segregation wrong, race, gender, colour. There are no exceptions. People have no choice about their race, gender or colour so it should never be used to choose how you interact with them.

nanna8 Mon 03-May-21 23:57:11

Just as an aside, in the book of Proverbs wisdom is personified as a woman, not a man. Kind of goes against some of the misinformed views about Christianity. There are many very strong women in the bible.

Chestnut Mon 03-May-21 23:49:19

I don't see a problem with voluntary organisations like the WI, Guides or Scouts being for one sex only. No-one has to join them and I can't understand why any of them have to be open to both sexes. A religious organisation has to be open to both sexes, but it's their decision how they wish to worship. If the women of that religion feel there is discrimination then it's up to them to protest.

simtib Mon 03-May-21 23:16:01

I am against all forms of Sexism. In this case it is Men bashing as it is men discriminating against Women. It may be a dangerious thing to say here but I am also against organisations where women discriminate against men such as the WI.

Galaxy Mon 03-May-21 21:37:13

Pointing out sexism is not men bashing.

EllanVannin Mon 03-May-21 21:31:21

Anyway, I wouldn't like to be praying in that position after a night on the curry. Nor would I enjoy being the one behind.

Hithere Mon 03-May-21 20:39:59

This is not a bashing men thread

We just highligted the source of the religious rules and how one gender is not supposed to be challenging anything

SueDonim Mon 03-May-21 20:39:00

There are different branches of Judaism. Not all exclude women. My other DIL is a rabbi in her particular sector.

Deedaa Mon 03-May-21 20:31:04

Watching the news reports about the tragedy in Jerusalem I was struck by the fact that my screen was full of men. I realised that we are hearing about women being excluded in Islam but very little about exclusion in Judaism.

SueDonim Mon 03-May-21 20:22:38

M0nica

^I cannot understand why this is being allowed in our society. I cannot see it happening in a Christian church, or any other place of worship and I am sure it would be illegal.^

Since religion like political party is an intensely personal decision, what right has anyone to dictate to someone, what they should believe in and how they should practice their beliefs.

Yet you think it’s ok for men to dictate to women that they can’t use a mosque?