Gransnet forums

Chat

Not allowed to pray

(48 Posts)
Newatthis Mon 03-May-21 10:44:39

I have just read this on the BBC news and I cannot understand why this is being allowed in our society. I cannot see it happening in a Christian church, or any other place of worship and I am sure it would be illegal.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56937289

vampirequeen Mon 03-May-21 13:08:51

The Prophet said that women are not obliged to go to the Mosque to pray so some don't cater for them. The reason for segregation in other Mosques is mainly for two reasons. Firstly there should be no distraction from prayer and secondly the physical action performed in prayer.

EllanVannin Mon 03-May-21 13:12:44

It's their way and the way they operate. Nothing to do with us nor anyone else.

Iam64 Mon 03-May-21 13:15:34

Some Muslim women are attempting to challenge these traditional, oppressive, discriminatory views.
It isn’t so long since it was believed newly delivered mothers should be Churched
Women had to cover their heads to be allowed into Catholic Churches.
I dislike to exclusion and oppression of women in fundamentalist branches of religion but I don’t see it as illegal

Blossoming Mon 03-May-21 13:19:40

Some forms of Judaism have separate areas for the sexes in synagogues. Traditionally men went to synagogue, women performed essential religious functions in the home.

It isn’t illegal, people can worship how they wish in ‘our society’.

nanna8 Mon 03-May-21 13:44:24

At the church I attend only males can be pastors. I totally accept that but if I didn’t like it I would go elsewhere. No one forces anyone to attend a particular church, not in our culture anyway.

Urmstongran Mon 03-May-21 13:48:40

In a patriarchal society it’s a form of control. I don’t like it. Nor agree with it in any way, shape or form. However I’m not religious so I don’t have to concern myself.

Anniebach Mon 03-May-21 14:15:00

In some Synagogues women and men do not sit together ,
their place of worship, their faith, their business not mine.

M0nica Mon 03-May-21 14:38:18

I cannot understand why this is being allowed in our society. I cannot see it happening in a Christian church, or any other place of worship and I am sure it would be illegal.

Since religion like political party is an intensely personal decision, what right has anyone to dictate to someone, what they should believe in and how they should practice their beliefs.

Redhead56 Mon 03-May-21 14:43:52

I went to a synagogue for my DH nephews bar mitzvah some years ago. Women sat upstairs it was just accepted as the norm.

SueDonim Mon 03-May-21 14:56:23

My DIL is Muslim and wants to attend a mosque but hasn’t been able to find one that will accept her.

simtib Mon 03-May-21 15:47:52

Yes it is their religion and they are entitled within reason to do as they please but I can not see how anyone would join or be part of any religion, group or organisation that blatantly and openly discriminates against one sector of the community.

Hithere Mon 03-May-21 16:23:28

Religion is created by men for men.

Loislovesstewie Mon 03-May-21 16:24:23

Hithere

Religion is created by men for men.

Oh yes! I'll go along with that idea!

vampirequeen Mon 03-May-21 16:37:33

I don't see the problem regarding the separation of men and women. When Muslims pray in the Mosque they stand together (obviously not at the moment) side by side, in front and behind and when they kneel then they are close proximity to each other. It would be embarrassing and inappropriate for men and women to be in such close proximity especially in that position.

Aveline Mon 03-May-21 16:44:55

It's not so much the separation that the Muslim women are complaining its that they're not allowed in at all in some mosques. Their families could move to a more enlightened mosque?

Hithere Mon 03-May-21 17:29:30

Vampirequeen

According to your post- then how about setting up days women can go and pray?

(Not that I agree with your comment as all - that is no justification why women are discriminated against)

NotTooOld Mon 03-May-21 17:56:40

I'm not religious, more of a humanist, but I can see no need for this sort of discrimination in any religion. Women should not accept it, tradition or not.

vampirequeen Mon 03-May-21 18:05:49

Hithere

Vampirequeen

According to your post- then how about setting up days women can go and pray?

(Not that I agree with your comment as all - that is no justification why women are discriminated against)

Because men are obliged to attend the Mosque whereas women are not obliged to .

I'm not saying it's right or wrong but that's why men and women don't pray in the Mosque together. A few years ago I was invited to attend Friday prayers to gain more understanding of Islam. The men stand very close together and the head of the man behind is very close to the rear of the man in front. Understandably it's not seen to be appropriate for mixed prayers in those circumstances.

simtib Mon 03-May-21 19:40:10

And who decided that they should pray in away that meant that it would be inappropriate for men and women to pray together.

Urmstongran Mon 03-May-21 19:50:01

Men?

Hithere Mon 03-May-21 20:05:12

Ding ding ding

vampirequeen Mon 03-May-21 20:21:59

The Prophet made it clear that women could go to the Mosque but didn't have to. Whereas men have to go the Mosque. Separate prayer areas are to prevent distraction. When a person prays they should only think about Allah.

Some Mosques are using the female spaces to allow men to socially distance and pray in safety.

If the Mosques didn't allow for social distancing then people would be complaining about that instead.

I thought this discussion was going to be about Islam but it seems to becoming yet another man bashing thread.

SueDonim Mon 03-May-21 20:22:38

M0nica

^I cannot understand why this is being allowed in our society. I cannot see it happening in a Christian church, or any other place of worship and I am sure it would be illegal.^

Since religion like political party is an intensely personal decision, what right has anyone to dictate to someone, what they should believe in and how they should practice their beliefs.

Yet you think it’s ok for men to dictate to women that they can’t use a mosque?

Deedaa Mon 03-May-21 20:31:04

Watching the news reports about the tragedy in Jerusalem I was struck by the fact that my screen was full of men. I realised that we are hearing about women being excluded in Islam but very little about exclusion in Judaism.