Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you ever been to a festival?

(32 Posts)
cb1963 Mon 03-May-21 11:54:45

With lockdown restrictions easing I see on the news that they are trialling festivals again.
Has anyone ever been to one and was it fun?
It's something that seems to have past me by.
They all seem to be having a whale of a time when you watch on tv

Zeddy Mon 03-May-21 12:02:27

We got engaged with a coke can ring at the Reading Festival in 1975

FannyCornforth Mon 03-May-21 12:05:45

Went to Glastonbury and Reading several times in the early 90s.
Fantastic memories and lots of teenage fun and games.
It would be my absolute, worst nightmare now.

jaylucy Mon 03-May-21 12:08:44

Does the Greenbelt Festival count?
Used to be held in the grounds of a large house in the next village and, as locals , we got in free!
Great fun, some of my friends camped but seeing as most years it rained and the field ended up like a swamp around the tents - and every local shop sold out of bin bags , that were worn as rain capes, they only stayed for one night!
Saw Cliff Richard twice plus a lot of other Christian rock bands. Usually had a good time!

Aveline Mon 03-May-21 12:14:12

'Festivals' abound. There are so many book festivals, film festivals, TV festivals as well as eg the Edinburgh Festival. I've been to some of those.

MissChateline Mon 03-May-21 12:22:08

I loved Glastonbury in the mid 80’s. I had just separated from my ex and had friends who had a circus in education. We used to all travel down in the big converted van which had a stove and beds in. I loved all of the activities and being the back end of a Chinese dragon.
For the past few years we have been going in the Campervan to WOMAD. The world music is fabulous and the atmosphere fantastic. The age range of attenders is very varied and it’s a very friendly chilled out festival. We have seen so many stunning African and Asian bands as well as music from all over the world. Sadly this festival may never happen again due to the difficulties of obtaining visas for all of the musicians and support staff. We will miss this festival.

cb1963 Mon 03-May-21 12:27:02

FannyCornforth
Did you take a good pair of wellies?

Sara1954 Mon 03-May-21 12:30:42

Did Glastonbury once, I think probably the second year. I have never been so muddy and cold, never again.
We have been to smaller festivals though, and they really are great, lovely atmosphere, good music, don’t like the portaloos though!

FannyCornforth Mon 03-May-21 12:31:08

No - I sported monkey boots! ?
Every time I went it was scorching hot.
One memorable time I got sunstroke and my forehead swelled up.
I honestly looked like the elephant man.

timetogo2016 Mon 03-May-21 12:33:45

Festivals have never appealed to me tbh.

Visgir1 Mon 03-May-21 12:50:40

Went to the IOW festival 2015 absolutely fab fun. Glamped, so we did have showers, loos, and a bar in our area. We were mixed ages including x2 teenagers. Weather good and saw some amazing acts including Fleetwood Mac. Everyone we met was happy, friendly, no age barriers at a festival, everybody is young at heart, it's a experience.

Shinamae Mon 03-May-21 12:53:38

No,festivals have never appealed to me either but in 1970 I did see Pink Floyd in Hyde Park, that’s as near to a festival as I have ever got....

BlueBelle Mon 03-May-21 12:56:23

Yes yes yes I love festivals and the last one I went to would have been about 4 years ago
I spent years going to WOMAD we nearly always had good weather except one year but we had so much fun it didn’t matter at all
I m hoping to go again as soon as
My grandkids have bought their tickets for this year so fingers crossed

Ro60 Mon 03-May-21 13:05:47

Oh yes every year the Harvest Festival at my local church.
Well, only an afternoon at the Godiva Festival. It was fun, sat on the grass with our overpriced drinks in plastic cups. Ventured in to us couple of tents but it was rather loud.
That was 10 years ago.
Really it's all passed me by.

Purplepixie Mon 03-May-21 13:26:19

Yes, I love festivals. Sadly never went to Glastonbury and wouldn't want to go there now. We've been going to little music festivals for the last 10 years. Fabulous music, great company, lovely food and camping out under the stars. Fab u lous!!!!! ?

Jaxjacky Mon 03-May-21 13:29:59

Monsters of Rock at Donnington twice and Isle of Wight once, think it was 2013.

boheminan Mon 03-May-21 13:33:45

Went to both Isle of Wight Festivals (still have the programmes) also Reading, Glastonbury, Fairport and lots of local music festivals. It'll be great to get back to it

Baggs Mon 03-May-21 13:36:19

Bruges Harpsichord Festival in 1977. Sixteen classical Baroque concerts on original instruments in eleven days. Awesome. We stayed in a cheap hotel.

JackyB Mon 03-May-21 14:44:57

When my DS were about 13 and 15 we went to a few local festivals run by our favourite radio station. For me it was a great excuse to get to see some big names. For them it was also a great way to see their favourite bands and enjoy the festival atmosphere which they wouldn't have been allowed to on their own.

One was in a field and the three of us slept in a tiny pup tent. We just had a carton of milk and three bowls for our breakfast muesli - the rest we bought at stands around the field. We left during the headliners on the last night (ZZ Top) so as not to get caught in the rush to leave.

We also saw David Bowie and Richie Blackmore. As Club members we had access to the big marquee where the artists gave private unplugged concerts after their gigs. I am glad I got to experience this.

cb1963 Mon 03-May-21 14:52:34

JackyB
That sounds like a magical experience. I loved ZZTop back in the day. I always remember Mike Beard was the only member without a beard ?

NotAGran55 Mon 03-May-21 15:20:25

Yes, Reading and Glastonbury several times . Cambridge Folk festival once . Several local festivals including one that went into administration half way through but carried on anyway . The Hot House Flowers were the headliners .

Loislovesstewie Mon 03-May-21 15:23:52

My first festival was the Bath festival of Jazz and Blues in 1969 after that it was Reading every year for ages. The Bath festival was brilliant. I was 13.

H1954 Mon 03-May-21 15:24:15

?????? does a harvest festival count??

hulahoop Mon 03-May-21 15:25:45

No they never appealed to me .I did enjoy music loved going to disco,s .

MayBee70 Mon 03-May-21 15:29:17

Shinamae

No,festivals have never appealed to me either but in 1970 I did see Pink Floyd in Hyde Park, that’s as near to a festival as I have ever got....

I hitched to that all the way from Cornwall. Slept through it and hitched back.