Gransnet forums

Chat

What did you do today ?

(124 Posts)
lemongrove Mon 03-May-21 17:43:51

We used to have a thread about ‘daily doings’ on here, but I expect Covid and lockdowns ended it as we all didn’t do much!
Coming out of it soon so there will be more inspiration as posters actually go places.It can be anything really ...mundane or exciting.If I read that somebody has been to an interesting location or gallery/ museum etc or has actually washed their windows? it makes me think about doing it.
This afternoon I had a couple of hours baking time, happily in the kitchen listening to music and producing a lightly fruited cake, chocolate muffins and lemon curd tarts ( only the cake for ourselves.) What did you do? Typical bank holiday weather kept us inside.

Greyduster Thu 06-May-21 18:04:41

Lemon it’s a bit in yer face colour wise. You need something a bit more subtle for fishing! But you’ll see me a mile away when I’m lost on Ben Nevis (who am I kidding!???).

Whitewavemark2 Thu 06-May-21 17:33:33

DH on dog walking duties today. Ironed - hate ironing. Washed woollens. Sowed French beans climbers and bush French beans. Planted out aubergines in greenhouse along with tomatoes.

Spent hours looking for DD birthday present. I sent loads of photos for her to choose, then I couldn’t remember on which site was the one she had chosen.

Begun to plan her birthday food - it is to take place in her garden ???numbers limited but we have all had at least one vaccination except one DGS but he is stuck studying from home, and isn’t doing anything.

Going to vote after we’ve eaten.

lemongrove Thu 06-May-21 17:23:37

Did all the ironing piled in the basket this morning, went to vote, had lunch.This afternoon we had a happy couple of hours at two garden centres and spent a fortune.Got five different tomato plants, two types of courgette, a tray of fuchsias, a tray of pelargoniums ( orange) three large white pelargoniums, and five different calibracyhias.?

lemongrove Thu 06-May-21 17:18:15

You can’t beat buying a new waterproof coat for a bit of retail therapy Greyduster ? I go for shoes or a handbag usually though ( since I do very little fishing...alright, none.)
Know just what you mean about the hospital parking, it can be a real anxiety inducer can’t it? Took DH for a heart app a few weeks ago, and not a single parking space.About ten cars had been allowed in and we all just circled for ages.In the end, he just had to get out and go in while I waited for a space ( which took a further 20 mins.)

Greyduster Thu 06-May-21 16:54:51

We had a wonderful time driving around a large hospital site, looking for a parking space. Good job we had allowed plenty of time. I left DH still driving round when I went for my appointment. If I had driven myself, I would never have made it to my appointment - I would still be driving round there like the Flying Dutchman, destined never to stop! It’s more stressful than any of the procedures you’re attending for! As a consolation, on the way home I stopped and treated myself to a new waterproof jacket.

Kim19 Thu 06-May-21 09:00:23

I had two lovely eating sessions yesterday. First was lunch with what we fondly call our politics group. We met at a further education class many years ago and chose to continue our involvement. It was outdoors and I was suitably attired with thermals, hat, gloves, the works. A bit cluttered but we are a rule-compliant lot and the occasion was indeed fun as it was our first since many months of the dreaded zooming. I ate minimally as I was going on to have dinner with son No 2. I would not normally agree to double booking but his availability is so hazardous that I wasn't prepared to risk missing out. Great occasion. Just love spending time with him. This one was indoors and he laughed at the layers I peeled off. Oh yes...... grand day for me.

Savvy Thu 06-May-21 01:18:24

Unfortunately on Monday I had to have my 10year old male degu put to sleep following a long illness. So I spent the day arranging to adopt 3 female degus so my now lone female will have some company.

Nicegranny Thu 06-May-21 01:10:30

I really enjoyed reading the whole of this thread and I hope it continues because it’s interesting what other people do. Some of the things sounded cosy warm and comforting whilst others lm guessing who must be much younger than me sounds energetic. On that note Ladyleftfieldlover good luck with your knee surgery lm in-line for an op on one of my knees too.
As for me I had my hallway ceiling re-plastered today. Reorganised and cleaned my kitchen cupboards and the two new units l had put in. Sorted stuff to get rid of for charity. Sat down for a break with a cup of tea and watched the rain pouring down. Got engrossed researching online for copies of prints and paintings that I think could look nice in my home for colour and subject’s that I like.
Cooked chicken and M&S chips for my supper. Resisted the urge to nap and cleared up.
Watched Sewing Bee which always reminds me of how lazy I have been these last few months because l can sew quite well.
Couldn’t fight the urge to nap anymore so here I am ? awake at 1am.
Mokryna loved the snap of the ducklings such beautiful little creatures.
Now lm off to bed to finish my book
Where the Crawdads Sing.

mokryna Thu 06-May-21 00:02:53

Looks lovely lucca. The cherry blossom has already died off here.

Lucca Wed 05-May-21 23:13:45

Played tennis. Twice. Had a walk here....

grandmajet Wed 05-May-21 23:10:40

We went out for lunch with our eldest daughter - the first time I’ve eaten out since September! We sat by the beautiful river Trent, then had a little walk through a nearby nature reserve. There is an area where different types of willow are grown, to be cut for whatever willow is used for!
It was lovely.
I had a nap when we got home, while Grandpajet made a liver and bacon casserole for tea. It was very tasty. We watched, and competed with each other in, House of Games, which we love.
I think our NT membership still stands - must check.

lemongrove Wed 05-May-21 22:08:02

Must renew our NT membership, lovely to roam around their wonderful gardens isn’t it? We usually visit Basildon Park (NT)
To see all the bluebells.
Went into a local town today to visit M&S, bought some jeans there ( you still can’t try on, but luckily they did fit, as I discovered once home.) Hardly anyone in the place even though it was nearly lunchtime, very surprising.
Cleaned various bits in the house, made chicken casserole and read my current book.

ClaraB Wed 05-May-21 06:37:58

Had a lovely walk around Cliveden National Trust, the bluebells were in full flower and we walked along the river. it's just nice to go out again. Did some tidying in the garden in the afternoon before the rain set in.

Grandmabatty Tue 04-May-21 20:30:28

I was babysitting my 2 year old grandson. Firstly we toddled to the fish man where he blethered to all the customers. Then we went to a local park where he had the entire play park to himself. Lots of running about, jumping in sand etc. Then we fed ducks and swans and sat on a bench and ate blueberry muffins. Later, we played in the garden with his water table and sandpit. After I dropped him off, I had lemon sole for tea. A pleasant day with lots of fun

Sadgrandma Tue 04-May-21 20:26:30

Feel guilty now as didn’t really do anything! Did have a painful game of Scrabble with DH but Lockdown has scrabbled my brain

lemongrove Tue 04-May-21 17:40:49

Designers Guild sounds interesting Paperback ? a much nicer day than mine, like AGA it was a window cleaning day, just the insides, but tiring enough.Also checked out the garden to see if any of our new plants were damaged, as we seemed to have storm force winds yesterday, thankfully they were fine.
For those who bought tomato plants recently, which ones did you buy? Haven’t been out to get mine as yet, and I like to grow at least five different types.I should really grow them from seed ( lazy article that I am.)

Paperbackwriter Tue 04-May-21 17:25:12

Drove up to Chelsea and wandered around Designers Guild this morning, looking at fabrics and ordering samples for some new blinds. It was the first non-food shop I've been in for many months, possibly even a year. Bliss.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 04-May-21 17:22:21

I went for a drive which I try to do weekly to keep the battery topped up. I was lucky with the weather as the threatened rain didn't materialise until I got home. Later it rained quite heavily but not for long and we had a little hail bouncing off the patio. Now the sun is shining, you just don't know what to expect, do you?

posset Tue 04-May-21 16:11:03

Spent nearly all morning trying to upload pics of some clothes I want to sell on Ebay. It just didn't want to do it grrr!
Just got home after a game of geriatric tennis with some friends (we are all in our 70s). Now, after a coffee, out into the garden to tidy up a bit.

AGAA4 Tue 04-May-21 15:58:24

Just cleaning windows today but on Sunday I met some of my family for lunch in a restaurant by the river. We had to sit outside of course and just as we sat down the heavens opened and we got wet.
Luckily the shower was over quickly and we enjoyed our lunch.

The best part was seeing my family after nearly a year. It was worth getting a bit damp.

Redhead56 Tue 04-May-21 15:52:45

Visited my DD and went to Boundary Mill.

MerylStreep Tue 04-May-21 15:37:04

Theoddbird
We lived onboard for 20 years and I know exactly what you mean. Our last big trip, taking our boat through France to the Med we talked about how we would mange when we were old
because we had seen so many ‘older’ people having to rely on others for the things you mention.
Plus the market was good for selling ?
I remember the night of the big storm in 87. That was weird, the tide didn’t come in !!!!!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 04-May-21 15:35:28

Theoddbird

Whitewavemark....you have to be physically strong for lifting coal and gas tanks and fit. I lift weights and use resistance bands as well as a half hour walkasize every day. This past Christmas I could not leave boat for two weeks because of calf deep mud and flooding. I am 70 by the way. I will sell my boat next year... Tge only thing I will miss are all my wonderful river bird friends... especially Mr and Mrs Swan who eat from my hand and the oh so sweet Mr and Mrs Duck. Oh and that should have been door not food... hahaha

I’m 75 ?so guess well past it.

chrissyh Tue 04-May-21 15:29:46

Went for my usual walk, about 3 miles, once home I did a bit of housework and then DH & I had coffee and cake and played Rummikub.

Jenn53 Tue 04-May-21 15:25:14

Yes, I love the sound of making peanut butter cookies. Delicious! I would like to try that. Any recipes to offer, please?