Gransnet forums

Chat

What did you do today ?

(123 Posts)
lemongrove Mon 03-May-21 17:43:51

We used to have a thread about ‘daily doings’ on here, but I expect Covid and lockdowns ended it as we all didn’t do much!
Coming out of it soon so there will be more inspiration as posters actually go places.It can be anything really ...mundane or exciting.If I read that somebody has been to an interesting location or gallery/ museum etc or has actually washed their windows? it makes me think about doing it.
This afternoon I had a couple of hours baking time, happily in the kitchen listening to music and producing a lightly fruited cake, chocolate muffins and lemon curd tarts ( only the cake for ourselves.) What did you do? Typical bank holiday weather kept us inside.

Trisha57 Mon 03-May-21 17:53:39

Well, first thing this morning (OK, it was actually at about 10.30!) I cleaned out the water feature in the garden. Then discovered the pump wasn't working, so fitted the spare pump which involved drilling a hole through the frame of the garage door, feeding the wire through and along the back of the border. Had an argument with a rose bush and got thoroughly "thorned". Water feature is now working again!

This afternoon was spent sewing a tunic top for DD1. It's a new pattern and I had to follow it very carefully as it has buttons on one shoulder and I can't tell my left from my right. Just the sleeves and hem to go now, and I'm feeling very satisfied with how it's gone. Her favourite animal is a llama, and it's covered with colourful cartoon llamas - a bit of nonsense she might like to wear in the summer.

Now I'm looking out at a gale hoping that the greenhouse stands up to the awful weather, as my tortoise is temporarily sleeping there after coming out of hibernation.

Not very interesting, but a good day all in all.

Beechnut Mon 03-May-21 17:54:16

I went to a roadside plant sale with DD until it started to rain.

lemongrove Mon 03-May-21 17:56:23

It’s satisfying getting jobs around the house and garden sorted.

What plants did you buy beechnut ?

Grandmabatty Mon 03-May-21 17:56:25

I spent the morning baking too. Blueberry muffins and peanut butter cookies. I did a bit of ironing too, hoovered and emptied and loaded the dishwasher. This afternoon I watched Where Eagles Dare as the weather is foul.

Sara1954 Mon 03-May-21 17:57:50

Had our first visitors since lockdown this morning, lovely to catch up.
Popped to Sainsbury’s, had a brisk walk, then spent the rest of the day watching the garden being wrecked by the gale force winds.

Greta8 Mon 03-May-21 18:02:29

Sketched out a plan to adjust our garden design to get DH's agreement. Cleaned kitchen. Did a bit of dusting, watched La Dolce Vita this afternoon, but gave up on it. Just cooked dinner. Early night tonight ready for looking after our darling, energetic two year old grandson tomorrow.

mokryna Mon 03-May-21 18:03:55

Walked round the canal in Sceaux park and saw some ducklings.

Katyj Mon 03-May-21 18:04:40

Not much really a bit of online shopping, cleared out the under stairs cupboard got some things ready for the charity shop tomorrow. Then a bit of reading , been very lazy probably won’t sleep tonight now .

Trisha57 Mon 03-May-21 18:08:51

Grandmabatty peanut butter cookies sound scrummy! Do you use a particular recipe? They sound like the sort of thing my DH and DGC would love.

Greyduster Mon 03-May-21 18:09:00

Not a lot really. It’s been chucking it down. I did a bit of ironing, got some more knitting done, baked a fruit cake, watched a Clint Eastwood film, cooked a roast chicken dinner and now I’m thinking about having a yoghurt for pudding - in the absence of anything more interesting and less healthy!

Blossoming Mon 03-May-21 18:10:18

Reading Douglas Smith’s biography of Rasputin, fascinating stuff.

Ellianne Mon 03-May-21 18:11:27

I went on a long dog walk, baked, washed and ironed and packed for holiday next week.
Oh yes and kept checking M & S app. Why are none of the shops doing their usual 20% off over the bank holiday?

maydonoz Mon 03-May-21 18:14:43

Today I did some work in the garden with DH. While he busied himself moving a small pile of bricks (left over from our driveway) to another spot, thereby preparing the space for our new greenhouse, which should come midweek, I deweeded the patio and surrounding paths. Then I put some weed killer on the roots just to make sure they don't sprout up again!
In the afternoon, I searched for a pair of shoes that I wore once to a wedding, even going through boxes in our garage, only to come back indoors and find them in a bag in the bottom of my wardrobe, where I had looked many times before!
So all in all it's been a good day, now we're waiting for the washout that we've been promised!

tanith Mon 03-May-21 18:15:21

A windy walk listening to LOD podcast, cleaned my birdbath a crow is monopolizing it leaving lumps of bread and pizza soaking then returns and eats it so messy. This afternoon I rewatched LOD finale and decided i need to start getting rid of stuff i have one black bag half full a good start.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 03-May-21 18:23:45

I am going into hospital at the crack of dawn tomorrow for a partial knee replacement. I had the other knee done 5 years ago so I sort of know what to expect! So today I did some ironing, sorted out what I need to take with me and read a bit more of Chips Channon’s Diaries. The surgeon said I only need to stay in for one night (it was 4 nights last time) but his secretary has put me down for two nights. A taxi is picking me up tomorrow at 6.30 am. OH takes extremely strong medication for his twitching leg syndrome, so isn’t up to driving until around noon.

monk08 Mon 03-May-21 18:33:34

Hope all goes well for you Ladyleftfieldlover.

Buffybee Mon 03-May-21 18:37:21

Absolutely foul weather here on the foothills of the Pennines so got on with some sewing, repaired a jacket pocket Ds had caught on a door handle.
Sorted fridge out and ordered a Click and Collect for tomorrow, still can't bear going around the supermarket in a mask, so I don't.grin
Thought there was a calm in the tempestuous weather and took dog out. Bad idea!! She was not best pleased as the heavens opened halfway round, both of us got soaked through.
Decided to get into jim-jams early and check which film I'm going to watch later.

grannyrebel7 Mon 03-May-21 18:39:43

Yes good luck xx

M0nica Mon 03-May-21 18:43:47

Painted one wall in the living room then went and spent the rest of the morning in the graden trying to get as much done as possible before the rain started.

This afternoon, I did some lack-lustre cleaning and then sat and read.

Blinko Mon 03-May-21 18:43:51

Defrosted the freezer, at the same time taking stock of what's in there and making a list. Worn out now though cafe

Lucca Mon 03-May-21 18:48:31

Nothing ! Tidied up after GC and parents weekend visit. Watched Line of Duty.
Felt suddenly really sad, missing my sydneysider son.

EllanVannin Mon 03-May-21 18:52:56

Put the ironing away that I did this morning, tidied up, had my fry-up made a coffee, ordered a new kettle and toaster online as the kettle's developed a leak from the bottom somewhere and the toaster was/is on its last.
Watched Pollyanna---which was lovely and ran for two hours on Talking Pictures channel.

Teemed with rain earlier, it was horrible but now brightened up though it's not so warm either. Not a bit like summer.!

Just thrown the kettle out it's leaking like a sieve.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 03-May-21 18:53:03

monk08

Hope all goes well for you Ladyleftfieldlover.

Thank you!

mokryna Mon 03-May-21 18:58:38

Ladyleftfieldlover wishing you well.