Gransnet forums

Chat

Two favourite European Countries apart from the UK and a reason if you like

(65 Posts)
nanna8 Wed 05-May-21 07:16:12

I was asked this recently by a friend and after much thought said
Norway because of the stunning scenery and
Italy because of places like Venice and the paintings,history, food etc.
Lots of lovely countries but I have never been to Russia so I couldn’t judge on that.

nanna8 Wed 05-May-21 10:18:05

Oh Greece is lovely, too but we’ve only been once so hard to judge. Also Croatia and Germany, love Bavaria, love Austria, too where we had our honeymoon in the Alps.

Westcoaster Wed 05-May-21 10:26:13

Denmark is top as that's where my husband came from. Wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen with amazing things to see and do, mostly on our bikes ... so many happy memories.
Also love Malta for the weather and interesting history and places to visit.

Kate1949 Wed 05-May-21 10:29:08

I love seeing the votes for Ireland. My family are from the south and we've been there many times. It's stunning.

Deedaa Wed 05-May-21 10:33:33

Italy of course! Preferably anywhere round the lakes. I love the people, the food, the scenery, the culture, the whole way of life. France would be second choice because parts of it are really lovely.

Grannycool52 Wed 05-May-21 11:47:37

Republic of Ireland, France (especially all the west coast and the Alps, and the German Rheinland get my votes.

Ailidh Wed 05-May-21 12:01:02

Germany, every time. Beautiful countryside, amazing cities, and a public obeying of the rules of good manners that I love.

I couldn't think of another until I noticed the OP mentioning Russia - I've just only seen St. Petersburg in the post-Soviet era and, for all its stunning buildings I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I had when I'd visited it as Leningrad (and Moscow and Kiev and Yalta) in the 70s USSR - whatever life was like for the inhabitants in those days, it was an amazing place to be a tourist: incredibly safe with fantastic public transport, and a sense of pride.

Lucca Wed 05-May-21 12:01:23

Really interesting to hear about places like Slovenia where I’ve never been. I’ve wanted to go to Croatia too for a while. I love Europe and have no desire now to go beyond it but needs must having a son in Australia ?.

lemongrove Wed 05-May-21 12:05:02

Italy and Spain, in that order.
Have been visiting both countries for many years and we try and stay in as many different regions as possible.
Weather, laid back people, food and scenery.?

lemongrove Wed 05-May-21 12:06:37

monk08

Portugal for their custard tarts? never quite taste as good elsewhere, but also the people. Also northern Italy ballooning over the Cueno region is sight to behold,with the mountains covered in snow .

Ah yes! The custard tarts.We ate our own body weight of them in Madeira.?

Lillie Wed 05-May-21 12:14:56

Madeira and Malta.
I love islands these days. More mangeable in size to visit.

grannytilly2511 Wed 05-May-21 13:19:04

Portugal , agree. custard tarts are delicious . the people are very friendly .and welcoming the beaches are great , and of course the weather .
Italy , scenery. food .wine and the general way of life there .

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 05-May-21 13:43:27

France, especially Brittany where we had many great camping and cycling holidays. I'm attracted to Finland because of the beautiful scenery.

Galaxy Wed 05-May-21 13:49:08

I have never been to Portugal, sounds like I need to make some plans to visit.

Grandmadinosaur Wed 05-May-21 21:18:49

Spain has a soft spot in our hearts. Lots to see and explore love the food the people the shops,markets etc.

Ditto for Italy. Such breathtaking scenery, buildings,food etc
I too am happy just sitting looking out to the sea ?
Oh yes Custard tarts ? a big fan in this house too

Grannybags Wed 05-May-21 21:21:24

Italy. Florence is the best city in the world (that I've been to!)

Iceland. Pure rugged beauty

avitorl Wed 05-May-21 21:56:22

For me it has to be the Greek Islands.I always think all is well in my world when I visit islands like Paros,Naxos and Rhodes Old Town.

Witzend Wed 05-May-21 22:19:24

Greece, and not just the islands. Generally very chilled atmosphere, people who appreciate it if you make an effort with the language, much of the food, the music, the history.

Hard to pick a 2nd out of all the others, but probably Italy.

Grannynannywanny Wed 05-May-21 22:24:03

Republic of Ireland for me. I love it. The friendly people, the scenery, the traditional music sessions in small friendly pubs. I could go on but I’d sound like I was working for the Irish tourist board!

welbeck Wed 05-May-21 23:49:41

Ireland

Lucca Fri 07-May-21 14:09:17

Grannybags

Italy. Florence is the best city in the world (that I've been to!)

Iceland. Pure rugged beauty

When I was asked to start teaching Italian my boss found me a refresher course for teaching Italian (I’d left Italy 20 years before) . .....
Two weeks in Florence.. studying advanced grammar plus having lectures on Italian art politics etc, a guided tour of the Uffizi with a professor of fine art......a visit to Siena...
Two of the best weeks of my life !

Serendipity22 Sat 08-May-21 17:14:43

Ohhhh without a shadow of doubt COTE D'AZUR .... why ! Well ....EVERYTHING...... the way of life, weather, villages, just the whole ambiance...

My 2and would be Canada, the people are amazingly polite, kind,welcoming, the Autumn trees, views , house designs .... smilesmile

ZoeLTW Wed 27-Oct-21 10:12:49

As others have already mentioned, Belgium is a beautiful country with so much variety to discover sunshine Check out this travel guide to Belgium, the Netherlands, or the Czech Republic for inspiration and travel advice! app.livetheworld.com/belgium

Kali2 Wed 27-Oct-21 10:45:15

I am seriously thinking about this one.

But there is a MASSIVE difference between being on holiday in a country, having a second home there, and LIVING in it permanently.

My initial response would have been France or Italy- but both have their own problems, for sure. And are very varied, with very different climates, atmospheres, cultures even. Jus thinking of France, there is a huge difference between living ir rural Ariège at altitude, or San Tropez, or the Alps, or the flat NE, etc, etc.

What would bother me about both is the rise of intolerance and racism in both, and the hunting culture à la let's shoot and trap everything... No easy.

JackyB Wed 27-Oct-21 10:46:23

Although I live right in the middle (Germany) I haven't really been to many. I feel really at home in France but that's because I speak the language.

Also love Ireland and Israel (well, they do participate in Eurovision!).

As an expat, am I qualified to vote for England? In fact, all of the UK really.

Witzend Wed 27-Oct-21 10:48:30

Greece, followed by Italy. Scenery, people, food, languages, and particularly in Greece, the chilled attitude to many things.

Still a bit startled at a pp calling German a ‘beautiful’ language. And yes, I am familiar with it - did A level, still understand quite a lot, still find it ugly.