Gransnet forums

Chat

Two favourite European Countries apart from the UK and a reason if you like

(65 Posts)
nanna8 Wed 05-May-21 07:16:12

I was asked this recently by a friend and after much thought said
Norway because of the stunning scenery and
Italy because of places like Venice and the paintings,history, food etc.
Lots of lovely countries but I have never been to Russia so I couldn’t judge on that.

JackyB Wed 27-Oct-21 10:48:52

DH as an ex Latin teacher just loves Italy. I didn't enjoy it, (Rome, Sorrento, Capri, Milan) even though I speak the language there, too. Florence was OK.

Katie59 Wed 27-Oct-21 11:02:57

For holidays France and Italy, Switzerland too but it’s far too expensive. I would not want be resident in any because after a couple of weeks holiday I’m ready to go home. Familiar surroundings and friends draw me back every time, I’m never likely to move overseas.

vegansrock Wed 27-Oct-21 11:10:28

I have family in Italy, France and Ireland so any of them would get my vote, though if I had to pick one it would be Italy near Lago d’Iseo.

sodapop Wed 27-Oct-21 12:30:10

France because I live there and Austria for beautiful scenery.
I would like to visit Iceland and Russia.

Kim19 Wed 27-Oct-21 12:35:30

Nope, couldn't possibly tie it down to two. Their individual merits are so different that comparison is odious. I've never not enjoyed a European holiday yet. Longing for my return when brave enough.

Grandmabatty Wed 27-Oct-21 12:38:05

I love the Greek islands for their individuality, the sea, weather, food and most of all the people: Germany for the scenery, organisation and food and Russia for art and history but not for food!

Lincslass Wed 27-Oct-21 15:05:23

Germany, family, beautiful scenery, good hearty food. and the Republic of Malta,warm sun, lovely people, beautiful scenery, great food. Both have interesting history.

Curlywhirly Wed 27-Oct-21 15:55:35

Italy - obviously as I'm half Italian! I sometimes feel more at home there than in the UK - I am typically Italian looking- small, olive skin, brown hair and eyes and I'm very animated ? I love their passion for good food and the breathtaking scenery (Lake Como is a favourite). My second choice would be France - another country with amazing food and scenery. I do think that being able to speak a country's language (albeit not fluently) has a lot to do with enjoying visiting that country. I loved Croatia, but was so frustrated at not understanding a word the locals were saying!

MiniMoon Wed 27-Oct-21 16:03:28

We had the most wonderful time in Slovenia. Ljubljana is a beautiful city. The mountains can rival the Tyrol, and Lake Bled is scenic and relaxing.
We honeymooned in Italy, and are going back to Sorrento next year to celebrate our Ruby wedding. Looking forward to seeing the Amalfi Coast again, and of course, sampling the food and wine.
I also loved Turkey. I went to Istanbul and Ankara in the late 1970s. I don't think I'd go back though.

Severnsider Wed 27-Oct-21 16:08:47

The Greek Islands, each one is different, and Italy for the exquisite old buildings and art.

Allsorts Wed 27-Oct-21 16:20:17

Spain and Italy, but then I love Madeira too and Norway. I can’t decide!

henetha Wed 27-Oct-21 16:38:52

France definitely. The amazingly varied scenery, the whole atmosphere of the country. I just love it and wish I could have a second home there.
And, because I love mountains, it has to be Switzerland.
But I have spent a lot of time in Germany and the people are so friendly and hospitable.
I like Italy very much too, partly because Italian men make you feel attractive even if you are not.

grannyactivist Wed 27-Oct-21 17:31:11

My favourite country without a doubt is Norway. Not only is every view breathtaking, but we have some very, very close friends there - and for us being able to get ‘under the skin’ of a country is really important. We have had some experiences that usually only a Norwegian would have easy access to. (Plus my husband is fluent in the language and he looks more like a Viking than any Norwegian I know. ?)

A second country is not so easy to choose.

BBbevan Wed 27-Oct-21 17:42:03

Norway : like the people, the scenery, the food etc
Denmark: same as above with excellent tv programmes and lovely clean towns