Gransnet forums

Chat

Fashionable names

(262 Posts)
Beswitched Fri 07-May-21 09:05:56

A friend's dd has just called her new baby Susan. My friend is very unhappy with the name, thinking it's very dull and dated.

Personally I love the name and think it's far nicer than some of the names that are considered cool and edgy nowadays - Olive, Ethel etc

What 'dull and dated' names would you like to see revived? I also love Jane and Judy.

Shelflife Fri 07-May-21 09:12:09

I love the name Susan !

Witzend Fri 07-May-21 09:22:13

IMO a lot of names such as Jane, John, Mary and Susan, will be making a comeback in the not too distant. I love John!

Look what’s happened to a lot of the names that many of my era connected with whiskery old great-aunts - Mabel, Florence, Edith, etc, - a dd’s friend named a recent baby Ada. To me I’m afraid to say it conjured up someone in a pinny with curlers in her hair, very likely with a fag hanging out of her mouth, too.
Younger parents won’t have those associations.

Except for the really timeless classics, IMO most of them have their popular eras, followed by decades in the wilderness, but eventually resurrected again.
How about Linda? So popular among my generation, ditto Christine, but you so rarely - if ever - hear of any baby called those names now.

Alegrias1 Fri 07-May-21 09:22:20

Susan is my middle name so I'm biased. smile I think its lovely!

I'd like to see more girls called Barbara, and more boys called David.

BlueBelle Fri 07-May-21 09:31:01

I too think they are dull and dated I d never call a baby by a name popular a generation or two ago (including my own name)
The above mentioned are plain and boring to my ears I like something with a bit more umph and meaning although I don’t like those awful made up ones or those that are just respelt like Florence becoming Florenze
But it’s very very personal isn’t it and what I find boring doesn’t mean it’s wrong for them just wrong for me and at the end of the day none of us have any voice as to our offsprings choices I m lucky I like all 7 of my grandkids names. But if I didn’t I d grow to as soon as they were here

Dee1012 Fri 07-May-21 09:33:13

I've always liked the name's Jacqueline and Maria and I do like David.

Kim19 Fri 07-May-21 09:36:33

I really think those of us who are disappointed with peoples' choice of baby names should mind their own business. It is such a personal thing for the parent(s) and not to be marred by outside - albeit close family - opinions. How rude and unkind. I'm currently in this position with a lovely new baby whose appointed name makes me shudder but no one will ever know and I'll just revel in the joy of getting to know her and her name will undoubtedly just become a part of her.

ixion Fri 07-May-21 09:36:36

In 1981, we named our son George.
My mother was - more than - horrified.
It took her two years before she was prepared to call him by name - up to then, he was just 'baby'.
All because she had had a dreadful great uncle George?‍♀️
We just ignored it.

Alegrias1 Fri 07-May-21 09:37:38

Susan means lily flower and Barbara means exotic. Lots of meaning there.

And Alegria means joy smile

Woodmouse Fri 07-May-21 09:38:29

I love Susan but really don't like Sue. (Sorry Sues out there). My middle name is Linda and personally I don't like it but so what!
I would love to see more Janes.

Lucca Fri 07-May-21 09:40:41

Both my sister and I have quite unusual names for the era in which we were born, I’m not sure quite why as my brothers have very nice but standard names. I think I’m a year older than princess Anne and I know about six “ann/es”. Several Lindas and Christines.
It’s all very subjective though isn’t it, this liking a name !

JaneJudge Fri 07-May-21 09:42:38

I think Susan is fine!

Lucca Fri 07-May-21 09:43:04

I like my name now but remember for some reason as a child wanting to be called Valerie which I thought was dreadfully glamorous! Don’t like it at all now !

geekesse Fri 07-May-21 09:46:29

In ten years of teaching, I have never encountered a Deborah or Debbie. It was such a common name in the 60s and 70s.

Lucca Fri 07-May-21 09:48:11

Me neither, except among the staff !

Callistemon Fri 07-May-21 09:52:36

My best friend when I was very young was Susan, she lived next door.
Our other friend was Valerie - haven't heard that for years, even amongst my age group.

Anniebach Fri 07-May-21 09:53:49

When I was in junior school we had Megan, Nanwyn, Eirwyn,
Esme, Gwyneth, Caerwyn, Eluned, Elerie, a Family moved from England, their daughter was Maxine , we were so envious

Grandma70s Fri 07-May-21 09:55:46

I like Susan, but not Barbara so much because of its association with barbaric.

Allegra is the version I know of Alegria. As you say, it means joy. Lovely and very trendy!

I tend not to like the names of my generation and the one immediately before. There were five girls called Jean in my form. Then there were those called Norma, Joan, Barbara and Kathleen. They all sound sort of stolid to me. There, I’m bound to have offended someone now! On the other hand, I quite like Margaret and Patricia.

My own names are pretty much timeless and classic. My brother is David, which is one of those names you just can’t go wrong with. My grandchildren, thank goodness, have good names, I was nervous about that, because I have very strong feelings about names.

MatsukenDG Fri 07-May-21 09:56:21

As for me, I like classics. John, Oliver are pretty simple and good names

luluaugust Fri 07-May-21 09:56:48

My friends were all Susans and Janets, Dianes and Jacquelines, I nearly got named Penelope.

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 07-May-21 09:58:46

My 5 year old granddaughter’s first name is a boy’s nd Amex which was popular in the 1930s for girls; her second B and is French and her third name is a military term.

Lucca Fri 07-May-21 10:00:02

My mother had strong, not to say rigid, views about names and sadly did not keep them to herself. She pretty much bullied my sister into her choice for grandson.

H1954 Fri 07-May-21 10:02:50

I don't particularly dislike names but I really don't like it when names get 'changed' i.e. Abigail to Abbs, Emma to Ems, Julia to Jules, Phoebe to Pheebs etc!
For goodness sake.......use the persons name correctly!

Gagagran Fri 07-May-21 10:04:08

There were five Carols in my Grammar School form. That's another name you don't see babies being given these days. We had two Normas and three Sylvias. My best friend was Anita, later it was Hilary and in my late teens, Susan.

My own name is a very traditional one, and regal twice over! I have always liked it. I was called after my Great Grandmother, who I never knew. DDiL, DGD and I all share the same second name and another DGD has the Irish version of my first name. Our only DGS has DH's first name, which is his Dad's second name, as his own second name.

Interesting how names become fashionable isn't it?

Gannygangan Fri 07-May-21 10:04:53

No doubt the child will end up being called Susie. Or Suzie.

These names were very popular in the 60s. I knew many Susans, Sarah, David, Paul, John. Ann, Deborah etc etc. All very common in the 50s and 60s.

I'm sure your friend will learn to love the name Susan. And it's a rare name today! At least there won't be 4 or 5 in her class when she goes to school.

My parents gave me an unusual name. Sister too. Which I like. But they were rather bohemian and we did have an odd upbringing.

My children have unusual names.

Nowadays a lot of the older names are becoming popular. Evelyn, Alfred, Archie, Grace, Lily etc etc

Maybe we will suddenly see an influx of Susans soon!