Gransnet forums

Chat

Fashionable names

(263 Posts)
Beswitched Fri 07-May-21 09:05:56

A friend's dd has just called her new baby Susan. My friend is very unhappy with the name, thinking it's very dull and dated.

Personally I love the name and think it's far nicer than some of the names that are considered cool and edgy nowadays - Olive, Ethel etc

What 'dull and dated' names would you like to see revived? I also love Jane and Judy.

CarrieAnn Sun 09-May-21 19:28:29

I don't like my name very much,but much prefer it to the names my Gran and godmother wanted me called,which was Minnie Norah

dirgni Sun 09-May-21 19:33:41

John and Ada !

Joyfulnanna Sun 09-May-21 20:11:47

Paula, such a sweet name, I've always thought

oliversnana Sun 09-May-21 20:15:26

mine is Celia and I have only every met 3 others and Jayne is my middle name.

Rabbit Sun 09-May-21 21:11:17

Dear Beswitched, being a foreigner, I am not too sure about "old" or so-called "old-fashioned", "dull", etc. English/Welsh/Scottish/Irish/Norse baby names, I cannot contribute.
But I just love the name Allegra! To me, it is vibrant, elegant, brainy, full of life & musical.

Beswitched Sun 09-May-21 21:12:22

I have several friends called Helen, which was very popular in the fifties and sixties. I think it's a lovely name but I don't know any young people called it.

Foxglove77 Sun 09-May-21 21:21:41

Fernhillnana

My mother born 1919 was Charlotte Lavinia and I’m shocked at how popular Charlotte has become. My aunt was Minna and I’ve literally never met another one. I’m Rosalind and I’ve met a couple of these in my teaching career. It’s never been popular though.

My grandfather was a gardener to a rich family whose daughters were called Minna and Jemima. I always thought it a posh name!

susieq3 Sun 09-May-21 21:40:29

I am a Susan, find it dull. Everyone except family call me Sue which is o.k. I had two dolls as a child, one was Carol and the other Hazel.

Rosie51 Sun 09-May-21 23:04:04

Just had a phone call to say great niece has arrived and will be called Agnes Ellen. I think it's lovely, and very unusual.

tictacnana Sun 09-May-21 23:27:33

My elder daughter is Beth which, 42 years ago , was regarded as unusual. My younger daughter was named by my Mum as , according to the amniocentesis and scans, I was expecting a boy so had never chosen a name for her. ( I had a C section so they asked Mum to choose. ) I quite like Beatrice, Lydia, Elspeth ... mainly because I have never taught one and I think they’re quite timeless and not ‘cutesy’.

Sawsage2 Mon 10-May-21 00:00:11

I like flower names Rose, Violet, Daisy, etc. I also like the name Marisa. When I was christened mum wanted to name me Hazel but Nan said I would be called Hazelnut at school so mum quickly changed it!

Kiwigramz Mon 10-May-21 00:04:33

I was at school with a girl called Pearl. She always had a snotty nose so I never liked the name by association.

Love chloe

rosemary55 Mon 10-May-21 08:22:58

My granddaughter (8) is a Pearl, thought it was odd at first, she's beautiful inside and out smile

kittylester Mon 10-May-21 10:17:52

NoddingGanGan

One of my daughters is called Susannah, nobody spells it correctly. I think she's just about given up! "Oh, hello, you must be Suzanne?" (Big sigh, "yes, that's me"!

As I said above, our eldest daughter is called Susannah and for a while she was very friendly with a girl called Suzanne - that was confusing! Not for us but for the rest of the world apparently

HillyN Mon 10-May-21 12:26:54

In my class at school there were several boys called Clive or Norman and Jane/Janet/Jeanette, Lynne/Linda and Rosemary were popular for girls. As someone has mentioned, I chose Rosemary for my favourite doll, as I really loved the name.
My mother was Diana which was very unusual for the time but she got really annoyed because most people called her Diane. My MiL was Mabel and my DD has given my GD that as a middle name. Her friends all think it's lovely!

travelsafar Mon 10-May-21 12:48:07

We have a new addition to our family and hoping her name will be Lily Rose, another old fashioned name

Rosina Mon 10-May-21 17:51:50

So many names mentioned here that were common in my classes at school, Joan, Patricia, Robert, Kathleen, Anita, Linda, Gordon, Penelope, Janet, Carole, Pauline, Gillian, Clive, Jean, Edward, Kenneth, David, Irene - will they ever be revived? James and David seem to be fairly perrenial, and it's lovely to hear the really old names, those of my ancient aunts and uncles, like Martha, Dorothy, Emily and so on become popular again. Like some other posters I really dislike the 'celebrity' names that seem to be manufactured with the most convuluted spelling possible.

Jemma75 Tue 11-May-21 02:21:59

Since my dd was very young she loved the name Lucy. I suggested we call the dog Lucy so we could say, "Lucy we're home." Guess what - she is having a girl and our Lucy she will be!

Nana3 Tue 11-May-21 04:23:47

My parents gave me 2 names then proceeded to call me by the second one. It means I'm called by my first name in the doctors, hospital etc. I just go with it now, past caring.

Nana3 Tue 11-May-21 04:31:43

Sorry OP, I would like Sarah and Alice, also Robert and Thomas to stay popular. Good traditional names that don't really date.

BBbevan Tue 11-May-21 04:35:42

We had a whole clutch of Lewis's at school. They were all naughty so I have a difficult time with that name. My name was very unusual at the time ( 40_60) but much more prevalent now.

M0nica Tue 11-May-21 09:18:23

When we were considering names for our DS, we knew very few young children and had no idea what the popular names for boys were. We didn't consider any family names and the short list was David, Paul, Stephen and Matthew. Nobody we knew had children with those names.

We opted for David and then a few months later read a newspaper article that said the three most popular boys names the year DS was born were: David, Paul and Stephen, Matthew was also high up the popularity stakes as well. - and of course, once he started to mix with other children at playgroup and school, we began to realise just how popular all four names were.

When we would have looked at other names had we known how popular they were, nothing exceptional, just something less popular.

Jaxie Tue 11-May-21 15:06:22

To GreenGran78, We have a New Zealand relative of 50 who is called Brenda, but of course it is pronounced “Brinda” over there.

Yammy Tue 11-May-21 15:45:17

It's alright giving a child an unusual name but will it be spelt right. We had this problem when I taught.
My name ended in 1960 I don't like it and hope it never makes a comeback though I have heard it given as a second name after a granny. Names seem to go in areas I'm one of the Jean, Joan, Patricia, Janet and Kathleen generations.
Neither of my children complains about theirs ,maybe behind my back.

welbeck Tue 11-May-21 15:50:28

i tend to like traditional names, and more than one syllabub.
but perhaps that's greedy.
the only name i definitely dislike is
gretchen.
for a while i didn't realise that it was an actual given name; i assumed it was an unflattering description of a woman, because it just sounds like it, she's such a gretchen.