Gransnet forums

Chat

Boring but potentially amusing thread: Putting Things Down the Loo

(51 Posts)
FannyCornforth Fri 07-May-21 13:35:35

Hello Everyone!

I am aware that the list of Things You Are Allowed to Put Down the Loo are vanishingly small (to use the parlance de jour).

However, today I was surprised to see a label on a box of tissues which stated that on no accounts should I put used tissues down the loo; instead used tissues must be put in a bin. ?

I admit now that I will not be following this order. ?

DH, a builder who has sorted out many a toilet error commited by the general public, memorably went a house where the residents had been putting whole trays of cat litter down their khasi. ?

I think that the worst thing that I've put down the loo was a pair of socks.

Do you have any toilet tales or mishaps?
(Hopefully not of the digestive-system variety)

Thank you! ?

Greyduster Fri 07-May-21 15:56:56

Emmasnan my three year old flushed my eternity ring - a full hoop of diamonds - down the toilet. We sent for a plumber but it couldn’t be found. He also had a penchant for putting things down the drain in the road outside our house! It’s a miracle he survived to adulthood.......

Tizliz Fri 07-May-21 16:09:45

Our son told his teacher that his goldfish had died. Teacher said that it had gone to heaven, son replied ‘no, it went down the toilet’

grandmajet Fri 07-May-21 16:15:50

My daughter’s dog put his head in the loo to have a drink but we didn’t flush it!

MrsAllboys Fri 07-May-21 16:31:04

I seem to remember, many years ago, it was reported that Prince William aged 2 put his father's hand made (of course?) shoes into the loo and attempted to flush them away!

shysal Fri 07-May-21 16:43:19

When my mother lived in residential care she blocked the toilet all the time with tissues. It required a plummer on lots of occasions, but she just wouldn't believe that it was her fault.

I have this notice in my bathroom because I have a Bengal cat (used to have 3). They love water!

JoyBloggs Fri 07-May-21 17:40:43

Sorry a bit off-topic but this thread reminded me of when DD1 was very small.

I discouraged her from playing around the loo because of 'germs'. Always a very inquisitive child, one day her curiousity got the better of her and she stuck her head right inside the toilet bowl. When she emerged I asked why she had done that. " I was looking for germs" came the reply! shock

boheminan Fri 07-May-21 17:46:44

Many years ago I was gifted a large bottle of Chanel No.5. One day I mistakenly left it unopened on a shelf in the bathroom. My daughter, aged about 3yrs stood on tiptoe, got the bottle down and poured the whole lot down the loo. Must have been the most expensive toilet cleaner ever.

Calendargirl Fri 07-May-21 17:52:23

Bit late to this thread, but yes, definitely shouldn’t put tissues down the loo.
There was a thread about this in the first lockdown, when loo rolls were in short supply, and everyone was saying what alternatives were being used (and flushed) unfortunately.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 07-May-21 18:50:19

One of my darling daughter-in-laws managed to drop her 6 hour old engagement ring down the loo in my bathroom whilst being ill (party at ours to celebrate engagement) needless to say I retrieved it!!!

Margsus Fri 07-May-21 19:07:16

Blossoming

No, but I wouldn’t put tissues down the toilet. They’re designed to stay whole when wet, unlike toilet paper, so are liable to cause blockages.

If tissues are designed to stay whole when wet, why is it that if one gets into the washing machine it disintegrates into a million pieces? ?

Susan56 Fri 07-May-21 19:25:07

Namsnanny, he was fourteen months??

GrannyLaine Fri 07-May-21 20:07:45

Several years ago one of my grandsons came to play dressed in full Spiderman gear. He took himself off to the toilet and managed very well except that he managed to flush the crucial Spidey balaclava. He cried so much that grandpa ran outside lifting manhole covers to try to intercept it. No success unfortunately and he has never forgotten it.

Elusivebutterfly Fri 07-May-21 21:16:38

Years ago my grandmother was ill when staying with us. She lost her false teeth down the toilet whilst being sick. They weren't found.

Callistemon Fri 07-May-21 21:57:12

Lucca

My son dropped his Mobile phone down....retrieved and given the rice treatment,it was fine.

My son's phone went the same way - and it was brand new. It was fine afterwards.

My engagement ring went down the plug hole in the basin, luckily retrieved from the U bend by a handy DH.

Callistemon Fri 07-May-21 22:00:42

^In the past, people used to flush away dead goldfishes^?
We've done that, saying a suitable prayer. ?

Hamsters etc were buried with due ceremony in the garden.

cornergran Fri 07-May-21 22:18:31

Our firstborn would flush anything he could including my car keys and purse, both fortunately stayed in the bowl to be discovered by his mother frantically searching for them. We just couldn’t stop him so put a hook and eye type fastener on the top of the door to keep him out. It worked well until friends came to visit who couldn’t reach the top of the door to get in. Oops.

MagicWand Sat 08-May-21 01:06:25

In our first house we had an outside toilet as well as one in the bathroom. DH put salt down it every year at the beginning of winter to stop the water freezing except for the year when he managed to put granulated sugar in the pan by mistake! Thankfully I caught him putting the empty pot back in the cupboard!

absent Sat 08-May-21 06:18:22

Just for the record, it is not a good idea to put nappy wipes down the loo. Although they appear to be made of paper and thus biodegradable, they have a plastic substrate and are not biodegradable.

nadateturbe Sat 08-May-21 07:11:00

I once dropped my specs accidentally into one of those horrible French loos at Saumur Chateau. They were prescription sunglasses and I couldn't do without them. Had to take a deep breath and fish them out. Aagh!

BlueBelle Sat 08-May-21 07:15:50

I think I m pretty good I ve never put anything down the toilet except loo roll I do remember when the kids were small I put a dead goldfish down and apart from various grandkids dropping phones down (retrieved of course) only loo paper
I was totally horrified when there was a thread about this some time back and a number of people said they put their leftovers from their dinner down the loo!!!

DanniRae Sat 08-May-21 07:44:38

I am embarrassed to say that I didn't know not to put tissues down the loo blush However I won't be doing it again! smile

harrigran Sat 08-May-21 07:58:18

When DC were young all sorts of everything went down the loo. Legs bricks were found there so often that it became a euphemism for going for number twos.

JulieNoted Sat 08-May-21 08:35:06

I was totally horrified when there was a thread about this some time back and a number of people said they put their leftovers from their dinner down the loo!!!

My MiL routinely did this. Her justification? "Well it goes in the loo once it's been digested, so what's the difference?" confused

25Avalon Sat 08-May-21 08:51:45

Try having a septic tank. You soon learn to never ever flush anything down the loo except toilet paper.

Btw do you remember all those coloured loo rolls to match your bathroom decor? Now we see only white which is more quickly biodegradable than coloured. Wonder if that’s why?

nanna8 Sat 08-May-21 09:34:22

Yes you can’t even put bleach down a septic system. We used to have one. We used to have to use special thin toilet paper. I would never put tissues down any toilet, it blocks them sooner or later.