Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you always lived in the same town/city?

(56 Posts)
Polarbear2 Sat 08-May-21 10:16:07

I’ve always lived in the same city but occasionally get the feeling I should try living somewhere else? I’ve felt this much more lately. I feel I’m perhaps missing something?? I once had this conversation with a guy who had lived all around the world. He said it’s not all it seems and ‘you always take yourself with you’. Thoughts/experiences??

Gagagran Sun 09-May-21 16:30:39

I was born in a Pennine village in Yorkshire and lived there until I was 3 when we moved to another village not far away. When I was 8 we moved to The Wirral and lived there until I was 16 - very happy days there. Moved back to Yorkshire and the same village. Got a flat share as needed to be less remote and nearer work and then got married and stayed in West Yorkshire until 1975. Had a 3 month foray to be warden of an outdoor centre in Debyshire but it proved a total mistake with a 2 year old and a 4 year old so moved back to Yorkshire.

In 2003 we both retired early and move to South Bedfordshire to be near our two new DGC - first ones. Stayed there in a very nice village until 2012 when we moved to the south coast, following our DD and family as she was going back to work and needed help with her DC.

Probably won't move again now unless it's a no option but to move situation. DH loves it here but I have never felt fully settled despite this being the favourite of all the houses I have lived in. Preferred the South Beds. location and felt as if I had transplanted there successfully but have not had that same feeling here.

dragonfly46 Sun 09-May-21 16:35:02

I have lived in many different places including three countries. A friend once said to me my life seemed longer than hers because I had more milestones.
I must say I am happy to have moved around and experienced so many different ways of life.

lindiann Sun 09-May-21 16:42:18

I have lived in the same town and house all my life smile

Artaylar Sun 09-May-21 16:57:06

I lived in the same town in North West England until I was 45. Then I upped sticks to move as a billy no mates for a new job in South East England. where I met my now husband. Moved on 5 different occasions again until Autumn 2015 when we ended up on Anglesey.

I can see the need to move again at some point as our current home is quite rural and isolated. We'll probably give it another 5 years or so here and then think about moving to a small town with good amenities, most likely somewhere in the North of England or somewhere on the North Wales coast closer to England.

Polarbear2 Mon 10-May-21 09:06:00

Thanks all. We’re all very different- no surprise. It’s interesting though how many of you have moved around a lot. I agree with your friend dragonfly. You have more milestones. It’s a good phrase. My only moves have been post divorce within the same city. Those moves though are my milestones in a way. I think those few fairly quick moves gave me itchy feet. I’ve been settled for 8 years now and I’d love to try somewhere else. If money wasn’t tight I’d do it for sure. Big financial risk for me though. Needs careful thought. Thanks again.