Gransnet forums

Chat

Hug or not to hug

(56 Posts)
overthehill Sun 09-May-21 10:05:44

One thing the pandemic has freed me from, is having to hug odd people from, friends, neighbours even strangers who happen to be friends of friends.
We can't do it now, but a hand shake was always good enough for me.
Hugging for me is reserved for hubs, children and grandchildren, no one else.

Maggiemaybe Sun 09-May-21 11:18:11

I really love a hug from my nearest and dearest - family and good friends. I can’t remember anyone else ever moving in for one, and I wouldn’t want them to!

As regards the sign of peace, our church wardens actually went round asking people individually whether they wanted it. The one who asked me said it was a near-unanimous no. And yet the new vicar liked it, so it went ahead. Years later it still seems like a very uncomfortable break in the service.

Sara1954 Sun 09-May-21 11:21:12

Yes, family only. Nothing is nicer than cuddling my plump little two year old granddaughter, I noticed my sixteen year old grandson was a bit reluctant about the goodbye hug when I saw him a few weeks ago, I shall be sparing him that from now onwards.

greenlady102 Sun 09-May-21 11:33:40

nanna8

I’m a hugger. I love it and I hated that stupid elbow bumping they brought in over the lockdown time. You can’t beat a big hug and kisses on each side of the face. A lot do it here, especially those from continental Europe. You can sense when people don’t want it though and I wouldn’t force it on any of those sort of people.

you may be able to sense that but my experience is that most huggers don't and, worse, cannot imagine or accpt that others really DO NOT want to be hugged and kissed.

Lollin Sun 09-May-21 11:35:10

nanna8 I agree the silly elbow touching brings people closer to get to tap each other than has been permitted. Seeing people like Boris, in a hospital of all places, crossing in front of staff to elbow tap someone had me totally confused

Jaxjacky Sun 09-May-21 11:55:17

I’m with the huggers, our family have always hugged, I hug good friends too. Also having spent a lot of time in France I’m quite comfortable with the kisses (bisous), but if someone indicated they weren’t, I wouldn’t do it.

BlueSky Sun 09-May-21 13:17:18

Same here relieved that the hugging stopped for the pandemic, dreading it coming back. In my case it’s reserved for DH, DC and DGC.

Galaxy Sun 09-May-21 13:20:55

It's quite hard to do that in my experience Jaxjacky, I mean indicate that you dont like it, it's a tricky one.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 09-May-21 13:23:19

I like hugs, but only from family and close friends, Certainly not this ridiculous kiss on both cheeks business

grannylyn65 Sun 09-May-21 13:24:06

Wtf is hubs?

Hithere Sun 09-May-21 13:28:13

Ah, the silver lining of the pandemic! Good things always come from horrible situations

I always hated the forced kiss kiss hug hug, because it was the polite thing to do.
It didnt help my parents would chastise me for being rude and not wanting to hug and kiss everybody when I grew up

Bodily autonomy is so important!

Some of my best friend and I dont kiss or hug because it's not our thing and it does not affect the friendship at all. We respect each other's preferences.

Puzzler61 Sun 09-May-21 13:30:55

Mine are/will be kept for immediate family and a few very close long-time friends.
I will excuse myself from any others from now on as I was never really comfortable with it. Especially people who want to hug you when they have a cold/flu. It’s been nice not to suffer with colds/flu this past winter as I’m asthmatic and it’s rarely just a simple cold for me.

overthehill Sun 09-May-21 13:38:02

grannylyn65

Wtf is hubs?

Husband, hubby

Calendargirl Sun 09-May-21 13:39:40

Regarding the sharing of the peace at church. Years ago at the AGM of our little country church, one long standing member of the congregation said “This sharing of the peace. Well, we don’t do it here at St .....” We all agreed with him.

The new vicar was shocked, and could not see why we as a congregation did not like it, and he made us all feel very un Christian for not wanting to do it.

I still hate it, and most of us just give a discreet wave to our neighbour, pre Covid.

Cannot do with the traipsing about, hugging and kissing all and sundry which is what happens at our main Group Church, wasting several minutes of the service. (Pre Covid of course).

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 09-May-21 13:45:10

I love a good hug! Thing is my late mum was not a hugger or kisser, but dad definitely was.

Nell8 Sun 09-May-21 13:55:42

Like an idiot I thought it would be funny to greet friends and family with the mwah mwah kiss used by Edina and Patsy in Absolutely Fabulous. Unfortunately it got out of control and everyone copied me so that I didn't know how to eradicate it! When we meet up again I'm going to mutter "I don't do kissing any more. It's a Covid thing." I'll still happily engage in bear hugs with any willing chap.

ExD Sun 09-May-21 14:35:13

Didn't Diana introduce hugs to us Brits? Did she get it from the American movie stars she so loved? I was so pleased covid stopped it and am considering what to do when it all starts up again.
How about pressing our hands together (as in Namaste) and bowing the head if a good old handshake is inappropriate?

The sign of peace is a different matter so I have started a thread about that on the Religion page so as not to detract this one.

3nanny6 Sun 09-May-21 15:05:33

I am not a huggy person and only nearest and closest family get hugs. Perhaps it comes from upbringing and my mother was never one to hug and kiss us children although out granny and aunties did.

One of my dogs loves to have hugs so any hugs I miss out on she makes up for. The other dog is happy but can be aloof although at times she will come over make her presence felt and want some pampering .

BeverleyJB Sun 09-May-21 15:11:32

I agree, especially with Hithere about the “forced” hugging thing - you're made to feel as if there's something wrong with you if you don't want to!

I was very much hoping that the pandemic would bring some good changes - such as no longer having to do this. Seems I may have hoped in vain.

Jaxjacky Sun 09-May-21 15:16:34

Galaxy tbh I only hug good friends and family I’ve hugged for years, but I’ve seen other people, when approached by a hugger, not me, either hold their hand up in front, or extend a hand for a shake, but you may well be right.
I’ve just missed hugging my children, grandchildren and a few friends, it’s been over a year since I’ve hugged anyone other than Mr J.

love0c Sun 09-May-21 15:37:24

Bring it on I say! I never stopped hugging my family and do not understand the people who did. We are healthy adults and so are the rest of my family.

hollysteers Sun 09-May-21 18:23:49

I’m longing for the old fashioned hand kiss to come back ? The lips shouldn’t really touch the hand of course.

MayBee70 Sun 09-May-21 18:27:56

ExD

Didn't Diana introduce hugs to us Brits? Did she get it from the American movie stars she so loved? I was so pleased covid stopped it and am considering what to do when it all starts up again.
How about pressing our hands together (as in Namaste) and bowing the head if a good old handshake is inappropriate?

The sign of peace is a different matter so I have started a thread about that on the Religion page so as not to detract this one.

I like that. I find it quite lovely.

PamelaJ1 Sun 09-May-21 18:41:53

I will hug anyone I love or in some instances really like a lot. I’ll even kiss them!
I don’t want to hug or kiss anyone else. It is tricky to step back and duck out of the way though so have spent years putting up with it, I think that there are more of us than one may think.

nanna8 Mon 10-May-21 00:33:35

What I don’t like is the blokes who kiss you on your lips as a greeting. I don’t mean family, just acquaintances. I have come across a few of those. Yucky yucky poo. Feel like you have to wipe your mouth, which I usually do. Always ugly old ones,too.

Redhead56 Mon 10-May-21 00:47:16

Blokes don’t kiss me on the lips I would knock them out DH excluded of course! I hug those I love friends included people that matter to me.