Gransnet forums

Chat

Hug or not to hug

(56 Posts)
overthehill Sun 09-May-21 10:05:44

One thing the pandemic has freed me from, is having to hug odd people from, friends, neighbours even strangers who happen to be friends of friends.
We can't do it now, but a hand shake was always good enough for me.
Hugging for me is reserved for hubs, children and grandchildren, no one else.

nanna8 Mon 10-May-21 01:25:22

Sudden and unexpected lurches!

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 10-May-21 06:03:20

nanna8

What I don’t like is the blokes who kiss you on your lips as a greeting. I don’t mean family, just acquaintances. I have come across a few of those. Yucky yucky poo. Feel like you have to wipe your mouth, which I usually do. Always ugly old ones,too.

I remember that! Men who you didn’t know, who were friends of friends. Horrible wet kisses right on the mouth and maybe sixpence tucked into ones hand.

overthehill Mon 10-May-21 10:02:02

nanna8

What I don’t like is the blokes who kiss you on your lips as a greeting. I don’t mean family, just acquaintances. I have come across a few of those. Yucky yucky poo. Feel like you have to wipe your mouth, which I usually do. Always ugly old ones,too.

Have any of you watched 'Classic Millionaire'. Chris Tarrant really likes the ladies and cuddles and kisses some of them. We were astounded when he actually got hold of one woman and kissed her full on the lips. These people think they can do it because they're famous and get away with it. Glad to say Jeremy doesn't do it.

Marmight Mon 10-May-21 10:23:08

My parents had a spinster friend, a retired Matron, who considered my children her de facto great nieces. On entering the house she would pursue them, wet lips pursed, eyes almost closed, as they gradually retreated backwards and up the stairs, trying to avoid the ‘old lady’ lips on theirs. Sadly none of us were very fond of her. She was just a lonely lady with no family who eventually retreated into dementia. We often reminisce about ‘Aunty Muriel’ and her lips.
I’m not particularly a hugger. I think it’s a generational thing. My parents weren’t overtly close and I and one DD have followed. The other 2 are very huggy kissy as are their children

mrsjonesy Tue 11-May-21 13:30:13

I hug close friends and family only and was rather relieved not to have to touch others during the pandemic. But I did feel guilty about it and wondered what this said about me. However, I've decided I can't change my nature and from now on if someone advances upon me with clear intentions of hugginess, I shall swiftly offer my elbow or hand for a bump or a shake. Alternately, I may respond with "you can look but you can't touch, or, if I'm sufficiently rattled I will look em in the eye and say "don't touch me!"