Gransnet forums

Chat

How upset would you be if someone said you were boring!

(207 Posts)
Peasblossom Sun 09-May-21 11:31:27

Would you take it on the chin and try to change? I’m not thinking about the shy person who doesn’t have much to say but the “broken record scenario’.
No matter how the conversation starts.

My MIL just couldn’t stop talking about her big operation. Even thirty years after it happened it would come into every conversation.

A teacher friend will always end up reminiscing about her time in the classroom.

And I posted a little while ago about the friend who can’t talk about anything except her grandchild. It doesn’t matter what the starting sentence is, it seems to connect back to GC.

You notice it on Gransnet posts too.

Do people know they’re doing it!
Would you say anything or just grit your teeth?
And what would you do if you found out that was you?

Aveline Mon 17-May-21 09:19:58

Alexa- I'm a natural blether but am also professionally qualified. I did this sort of thing as part of my work and was happy to continue it in retirement. Sadly my return to it will be deferred due to forthcoming hip replacement.

Alexa Sun 16-May-21 18:18:05

Aveline, I am so glad to know there are such facilitators and I hope there will be more in future so that a certain sort of loneliness will be addressed.It must take a high degree of skill and natural ability to do this job.

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 16-May-21 13:42:58

Yes, everything can be looked up these days.

Eloethan Sun 16-May-21 12:53:23

I looked it up - The Young Ones.

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 16-May-21 12:21:26

Light hearted, does anyone know where this quote is from? Clue, depends on what you watched in the early eighties?

Queen...”The king is bored shitless with interesting things....and so am I.”

King...” What I want is to meet someone who is totally and utterly mind numbingly boring, but I suppose I never will.”

M0nica Sun 16-May-21 11:28:29

DS says DGC (14, 11) are already as excited about coming to visit us as they are when coming down to us at Christmas.

Aveline Sun 16-May-21 10:56:57

I used to run 'communication' groups and before lockdown had a voluntary job running 'tea parties' for people in long stay hospital to encourage chat and to give patients something more positive to talk to their visitors about than their illness. All ground to a halt due to Covid of course.

Alexa Sun 16-May-21 10:11:37

Conversation shops where people could meet others to take part in conversations led by someone who is very good at it and can encourage and lead. A novel use for high street premises in the future. There would have to be plenty of parking nearby for disabled transport and mobility scooters/

Alexa Sun 16-May-21 10:07:07

Urmston, is not 'mean' to raise an interesting point of view. Does anyone have the right not to be offended?

Alexa Sun 16-May-21 10:04:47

Urmstongran wrote: "I hate it when people want to recount the dream they had last night. Such a nonsense to have to listen to. Also if a friends says ‘have you read ....’ and if I say I haven’t then proceeds to tell me all about it in detail. Other people’s holidays/photos/hobbies/pets are fine - for about 5 minutes. Then ----?"

I agree. But it's not the topic that's boring. It is how the story is told that is boring.

Good talkers edit what they say according to how amusing or interesting it is for the listener, Good talkers use quality language when telling some anecdote, and do not suffer from verbal diarrhoea. Good talkers encourage the other person to say something amusing or interesting.

The skill of good conversation should be taught in schools. Perhaps it is?

MerylStreep Sat 15-May-21 22:33:36

Urmstongran
No need to apologise.
How do you think I look when I call them oxygen thieves ?

Urmstongran Sat 15-May-21 22:29:37

I’m afraid I sounded incredibly mean just then.
I’m tired after a bad night last night.

MerylStreep Sat 15-May-21 22:08:03

Callistemon
More than welcome ?
Urmstongran
I’ve just got rid of a ‘friend’ who could bore for the Olympics.
I’d would have loved her to mention a book ( she’s never read one)
A television programme ( she doesn’t watch any)
Her whole conversation is her previous life as a pub landlady, and yes, it was an interesting life but that’s all she spoke about.
I know that makes me sound mean but it was unbelievable relentless.

Urmstongran Sat 15-May-21 21:44:24

Just read my post.
Oh dear.
Perhaps I should just stay home as there’s not a lot else is there?
?

Urmstongran Sat 15-May-21 21:42:36

I hate it when people want to recount the dream they had last night. Such a nonsense to have to listen to. Also if a friends says ‘have you read ....’ and if I say I haven’t then proceeds to tell me all about it in detail. Other people’s holidays/photos/hobbies/pets are fine - for about 5 minutes. Then ?
And people who watch a lot of television and want to tell me all about last night’s programme in depth (which I consciously chose not to bother with!).
And a friend who bangs on about her pre-retirement job so much so I’ve started to be brave and say ‘oh yes, you did tell me about that’. (many times).

Callistemon Sat 15-May-21 21:11:41

sluttygran

MerylStreep
Thanks for the invite- I'll be right with you, and I'll bring lots of cheap wine and hundreds of photos of my very superior DGC!

Can I tag along please?

I have a recipe for a very moreish champagne cocktail, champagne not required, Aldi's prosecco is just as good!

Aveline Sat 15-May-21 17:48:50

In such circumstances I set myself key words to try to get the bore to say. I award myself 10 points for every one. This makes me smile a bit and look interested so it can lead the bore to new heights of dullness. confused

sluttygran Sat 15-May-21 15:40:58

MerylStreep
Thanks for the invite- I'll be right with you, and I'll bring lots of cheap wine and hundreds of photos of my very superior DGC!

Toadinthehole Sat 15-May-21 14:53:45

Yes disco, we have the avoidance tactic too. My husband is hopeless at getting out of a boring conversation. I have been known to say “ well, as interesting as all this is, I’ve got a life to be getting on with!”. My husband would literally be stuck if I didn’t haul him out?

DiscoDancer1975 Sat 15-May-21 14:50:16

There are people we avoid because they only talk about themselves, but they are not family or close friends. My kids often finish sentences for me, adding....” yes mum, blah blah blah, you’ve told this story a million times!” Always lighthearted though. ?

Tea3 Sat 15-May-21 14:40:24

What baffles me is why some bores are so difficult to get away from. They seem to have you rooted to the spot whilst they pontificate on without hesitation but with plenty of deviation and repetition. Afterwards I try to analyse why I couldn’t get away. Yes, I try to be polite but there is something more than this that holds you mesmerised with eyes glazing over.

Alexa Fri 14-May-21 16:23:17

Peasblossom, I understand now thanks. I'd not like to snub someone like you suggest, unless they were saying something really unkind and horrible. I'd rather be bored. Most people are boring anyway.

MerylStreep Fri 14-May-21 14:07:59

Sluttygran
I’d invite you to a party any day ?
Don’t worry about the cheap wine. Most people can’t tell the difference after a couple of ? anyway.

Callistemon Fri 14-May-21 13:50:19

JaneJudge

Sluttygran sounds like the visiting couple in King Gary grin 'can you fetch me the nice crisps?'

I only like vegetable crisps but I'm not fussy, the Lidl ones are fine

Hetty58 Fri 14-May-21 10:48:32

Peasblossom, yes, I know many with a favourite, predictable topic of conversation. I make great efforts to chip in with something different, and ask lots of questions, to change things. I get the impression that it's not really a conversation at all. Rather, they are 'broadcasting' to an audience (any audience).

If I really can't face them, I'll make it clear that I have a meeting/appointment, so can only do a quick chat.

Once, I spotted a neighbour just like that approaching. Unable to face the long chat and delay, I crossed the road and turned a corner to avoid them. Unfortunately, I met, head on, another one!