Gransnet forums

Chat

Can you remember the birthday party you enjoyed the most and least when you were a child and why?

(37 Posts)
Bakingmad0203 Sun 09-May-21 18:35:38

The one I have fond memories of was where there was someone making animals from balloons and we could take one home. There were lots of games and prizes too, and everyone enjoyed themselves.
The one I hated and couldn’t wait to go home from was when there were too many children, and the food was awful. There were no games and everyone looked bored, except for the party girl who was tearing off the paper from her presents and ignoring the rest of us!

Hetty58 Mon 10-May-21 10:09:57

I had a recent chat with my (nine year old) granddaughter about the party rituals of my childhood:

A party at the birthday boy/girl's home
Taking a little gift
Simple games, like 'pass the parcel'
Lovely food - tiny sandwiches, crisps, jelly and ice cream
Singing 'Happy Birthday' before the candles were blown out
A little piece of cake to take home

Perfect, so why did it all get so complicated?

grumppa Mon 10-May-21 10:57:43

The only one I remember is when our Labrador puppy scoffed all the home-cooked chocolate logs. Great!

Jane43 Mon 10-May-21 10:58:28

I didn’t like birthday parties either, I was painfully shy, hated the party games and was always glad when they were over. I didn’t have many parties myself but I do remember one when I had an ice cream cake and was completely taken aback by it, I remember going to school and telling my teacher about it. Christmas parties were even worse for me, Dad was a policeman and all the children were expected to attend the Christmas party so the games were horrendous for me, I would deliberately try to be out first when it was musical chairs or statues. We had to wait for Father Christmas to call our name and go up to receive a present in front of everybody, just awful for me.

baubles Mon 10-May-21 16:14:39

I never had a birthday party and now that I think about it I have absolutely no memories of any birthdays, mine or those of my siblings. I guess my parents weren’t big on birthdays.

I enjoyed organising parties and outings for my own children’s birthdays though.

ginny Mon 10-May-21 16:57:28

My 6 th birthday sticks in my mind . Middle of July , we set off with 6 friends for a picnic in the park. Of course , the weather promptly changed and the rain fell heavily. Back home we went where Mum laid out blankets in the lounge and we picnicked there. It seemed so wonderful
in 1960.

Worst was my FILs 60 th birthday. We had drivento in laws home with our 3 small DDs as a surprise as we were under the impression that there was nothing arranged. When we arrive the garden was full of friends ( including some with children) having a buffet and drinks ! We were not amused and it was difficult not to make it a big issue as we felt very hurt.

Shelflife Tue 11-May-21 12:53:14

One year my mum booked the village hall, usual party food and traditional games . My sister and I are twins so of course we always shared our parties. My friends and hers were different , we were allowed 6 friends each ! Thinking about our birthday brings back such happy memories. We always shared a cake but I do remember thinking how lovely it would be to have a cake just for me ! I told my self that if I ever had twins I would ensure they had a cake each!!!! That didn’t happen to either of us. I am so grateful and fortunate to have so many happy childhood memories.

Beswitched Tue 11-May-21 15:08:02

Hetty58

I had a recent chat with my (nine year old) granddaughter about the party rituals of my childhood:

A party at the birthday boy/girl's home
Taking a little gift
Simple games, like 'pass the parcel'
Lovely food - tiny sandwiches, crisps, jelly and ice cream
Singing 'Happy Birthday' before the candles were blown out
A little piece of cake to take home

Perfect, so why did it all get so complicated?

According to younger mums I know the kids get bored more easily nowadays and also grow out of party games at a much younger age.
I've seen threads on mumsnet where conjurors and magician were dismissed as too childish for 7 and 8 year old 'oh no my ds would find that a bit babyish'.

I suppose they have so many sophisticated toys and exciting outings nowadays that it's harder to make a party feel special

FindingNemo15 Tue 11-May-21 15:46:45

Never had one and never went to one!

Daisend1 Tue 11-May-21 16:45:14

The war,WW11, had just ended and it was my birthday and my mother had allowed me to invite my 'bestest' friends, as I called them, to a birthday tea. How she managed to give us such a spread while food was rationed I will never know.

BBbevan Tue 11-May-21 16:48:56

I. Well remember going to one birthday party where we had salad. There were no tomatoes but a bowl of tinned plum tomatoes on the table instead. My friends Mum gave me some. I did manage to eat a little but have remembered them all my life.

JackyB Tue 11-May-21 18:21:36

What sad stories of party-less birthdays. I think we had one for every birthday and were often invited to friends' and classmates' parties.

The big thing was the party dress. We had to dress up for these parties.

I remember several I went to - my favourite was a Halloween party at a friend's house. Her mother was Scottish and she had us ducking for apples, and doing all sorts of traditional games. We had names pinned to our backs and walked round the room and had to ask questions to which we were only allowed to answer Yes or No. Most of the others were older than me and were friends of my friend's older sister.

I remember being interrogated by one girl who had "Walter Scott" pinned to her back. I wasn't sure who that was, and got him confused with Scott of the Antarctic. I wasn't embarrassed because it was only years later that I realised my confusion.

At one party when I was about 6 or 7 I won the pass-the-parcel. The girl's mother had wrapped some sweets in a Jelly packet, as they fit exactly. I was a bit disappointed at "winning" a packet of Jelly, but I remember trying to be polite and saying I liked raw jelly cubes. The mother smiled and told me to look in the packet! We also played hunt the thimble and Murder in the Dark. This all took place in their front room, where, although we were always in each others' houses, we had never before set foot!

My parents once booked the village hall for a huge party for my sister and me. (My birthday is in November and hers in January) There must have been about 30 excited little girls running around. My parents put loads of preparation into decorating the hall and organising games. My mother made all the sandwiches and cakes.

For one game two girls sat opposite each other on chairs. One was blindfolded and had to feed the other dry Cornflakes. Of course, we thought this was all hilarious. But one of the girls, when she got up, had wet the chair. They were green with canvas seats. I don't think anyone said anything, but I expect my mother took care of her. She was like that.

I can't think of a "least favourite", we were all so innocent and easily amused.