Gransnet forums

Chat

Would you go to a summer wedding this year?

(120 Posts)
LizM567 Tue 11-May-21 10:57:58

We have been invited to a summer wedding which will involve an evening "do" and dancing. We adore the happy couple but are not related to them. We are thrilled to have been invited but are nervous to go this year. What would you do?

henetha Wed 12-May-21 13:25:00

I think I would go, but warily. Hopefully you have had, or will have had, both vaccinations by then. Carry hand sanitiser with you and don't get too near to anyone.
Then try to relax and enjoy it. If you do feel uncomfortable you can always leave. Good luck, I hope it's lovely.

Greyduster Wed 12-May-21 13:43:17

We have accepted an invitation to a family wedding at the beginning of August. We will not stay for the evening reception, but are looking forward to the rest. Hopefully just about everyone attending will have been vaccinated by then.

Lillie Wed 12-May-21 14:19:15

Bridgeit

Plan to go , but if at the time it doesn’t feel safe enough for you to attended then send best wishes & decline.

That's not very nice.
A lot of care goes into organising a wedding. If you say no to attending even a few weeks away from it, it messes up catering numbers and seating plans.

Other posters are right to say you could always skip the evening do, LizM.

Hithere Wed 12-May-21 15:02:05

No, wouldnt go

Casdon Wed 12-May-21 15:13:03

Yes, I am going to my daughter’s wedding. We will all be vaccinated, and they have already waited a year longer than they wanted to. Provided we stick within guidance the risk is very low at the moment, and life goes on.
I don’t understand the logic of not doing the things you want to do once you’re fully vaccinated, provided there’s no new variant in the meantime - in which case weddings won’t be allowed anyway? If young couples don’t take the chance and get married now, they may not be able to in six months, a year or whoever.

Grammaretto Wed 12-May-21 18:56:11

The trouble is people often don't stick to the rules.
My DD is a photographer and at a wedding last weekend she told me that once the celebrant had gone, everyone took their masks off and began to relax
DD was not impressed. She was the only one in a mask.
The rain meant that the outdoor photos were limited.

I will continue to be cautious this year.

lemongrove Wed 12-May-21 19:39:46

Yes, I would definitely go, you can still be sensible about mixing, but if you have had your your two vaccinations then a wedding is a part of life, and we really do need to get back to our lives at some point.Go and enjoy it.

eazybee Wed 12-May-21 19:45:13

You need to make up your mind now and either accept or decline, Compiling guest lists this year has been very difficult: first weddings were cancelled, then guests reduced to 15, now 30 and soon possibly more. It would be very inconsiderate to accept an invitation and then at a later date decide not to go, thus preventing another couple from attending.

Bridgeit Wed 12-May-21 20:10:15

Lillie, it may not be very nice,but it is SENSIBLE

Casdon Wed 12-May-21 20:16:01

Bridgeit I’m sorry but that really isn’t sensible, it’s very inconsiderate. The couple will have paid for the meals, and potentially not invited other people to reserve your places if you said you would attend. To leave them in the lurch at the last minute is the height of selfishness. No problem if you’re worried by saying now that you won’t be attending, but don’t sit on the fence.

Bridgeit Wed 12-May-21 20:19:20

I haven’t heard of anyone having a ‘ reserve list ‘ how odd, how do the ones on the ‘ reserve list feel about not being on the actual list . I must be getting old ?

Calendargirl Wed 12-May-21 20:19:31

Bridgeit

Lillie, it may not be very nice,but it is SENSIBLE

No, Bridgeit it’s inconsiderate.

You have to weigh it all up, and if you don’t feel comfortable with the idea of going, you politely decline and allow others to be invited.

Bridgeit Wed 12-May-21 20:22:17

Either you are someone they want to attended or you are not, it’s quite simple.

Casdon Wed 12-May-21 20:25:25

Most couples can’t afford to invite everybody they would like to for the whole day Bridgeit, and space is limited by the size of the venue. That’s why there are also evening receptions. If you were on the reserve list for the whole day you wouldn’t know if the couple get plenty of notice because they would invite you as soon as others declined. This isn’t new, I can remember doing it for my wedding many years ago.

Bridgeit Wed 12-May-21 20:26:45

Well it is odd to me, I find the whole thing a bit hypocritical.

merlotgran Wed 12-May-21 21:05:59

I've been invited to a Silver Wedding/Renewal of vows celebration at the end of August.

I'm more concerned about it being the first big 'do' I will be attending on my own rather than any Covid concerns.

Looking forward to it, despite the four hour drive.

marmar01 Wed 12-May-21 21:11:59

can not wait for my daughters wedding in August, we need to start living again, and enjoying life.

Kim19 Thu 13-May-21 10:06:09

I would attend with gusto (he'll do!!)

icanhandthemback Sun 16-May-21 10:39:34

I am going to a wedding in the middle of June. I fully intend to enjoy myself.

aonk Sun 16-May-21 10:46:33

When my daughter got married 4 years ago there were some lengthy conversations about who to invite and who to leave out. 2 people backed out the day before. Both had valid reasons for doing this so we understood. It’s rude and inconsiderate to back out because you’re not sure. As I said earlier in the thread I think you should go to this wedding but I also think you should decline now rather than later.

Nanette1955 Sun 16-May-21 10:48:32

Yes in a heartbeat, take any precautions that make you feel comfortable and enjoy.xx

Megs36 Sun 16-May-21 10:50:41

Grandsons wedding July,postponed from June last year, such excitement, our wedding clothes viewed and admired, really hope all goes to plan for lovely couple. We are not very mobile so really looking forward to big family do all day.

Cat4 Sun 16-May-21 10:52:26

My daughter has moved her wedding from August to June next year. She wants to ensure that it will be safe the grandparents on both sides and me to attend. If you accept you should attend because these events are expensive for the happy couple, my daughter has been saving for a long time and its not going to be anywhere near an over the top wedding.

Albangirl14 Sun 16-May-21 10:54:13

I would go and we are going to a Wedding in October. But if you may not go please let them know and let someone else have your place. Some venues only have spaces for a set amount so that,s why couples have a reserve list.

cornergran Sun 16-May-21 10:57:25

Only you can decide whether you would be comfortable. Does it have to be all or nothing? If you are anxious could you attend the ceremony and decline the evening invitation? If I cared for the couple then I’d go but we all have to make our own risk assessments. Whatever you decide please be clear with the couple involved, last minute opting out sits uncomfortably with me.