Gransnet forums

Chat

What time do you get up in the morning?

(168 Posts)
FarawayGran Thu 13-May-21 06:15:13

I am not an early riser. The reason that I am posting this at
6 am is because I haven't slept a wink.
When I get around to reading the discussions I find the larks among you have filled up to seven pages.
I wonder how I got the impression that 'Larks' feel superior to us 'Owls'
'The early bird catches the worm' is a lofty saying by Larks, but I don't know if there are any such sayings by Owls, I can only remember :
A wise old owl sat on an oak
The more he saw the less he spoke,
The less he spoke the more he heard
Why can't we all be like that wise old bird
Even if we do sleep until mid-morning! moon

Fennel Tue 25-May-21 19:27:53

Lexisgranny - so much advice about 8-10 hours sleep. I've never had that much.
I find that I wake when it starts to get light, so 5-6 now. Eventually get up, go to bathroom, then make a cup of coffee and go back to bed to think for an hour or so and plan my day.
Eventually get 'going' with breakfast about 8 am.

Lin52 Tue 25-May-21 06:33:03

Usually awake around 6am. Sometimes go down , make cuppa, back to bed, read news, catch up on subscribed YTube channels. Other times get up and do same. Depends what frame of mind, ground hog day resonates, ?.

Artaylar Tue 25-May-21 01:27:36

Smurf52

Wow I envy you all. I'm a night owl. I go to bed around 2am and up around noon.

I'm a night owl too - only much worse

Up until 3 - 4am and sleep until 1 - 3pm - bad I know

Lexisgranny Mon 24-May-21 23:18:04

I was told recently by a doctor that I should be having between 8-10 hours sleep per night, but I honestly cannot remember ever sleeping that much even as a teenager.

misty34 Mon 24-May-21 22:55:56

I always wake early but am late to bed in the evening too! I would love to lie and read or listen to radio but my back and neck pain won't allow this. As soon as I am up and about pain disappears. I can usually manage about 6hrs in bed then have to move around.
It's not my bed as I regularly change, hoping to find that amazing bed or matrass that allows me that 8hrs elusive sleep! I usually manage around 5-6 hrs but do have an afternoon nap., when I read in bed and usually dose off for a while .

Cid24 Wed 19-May-21 17:42:15

Gosh look at all you early birds!!!!!
I reckon I’m doing well if I’m awake by 8.30, and breakfast before ten is an achievement!!
I had years and years of early starts , was such a joy to be able to stop! Even now if I’m offered an appointment at 9 I will refuse it ! ?

Smurf52 Tue 18-May-21 18:47:41

Wow I envy you all. I'm a night owl. I go to bed around 2am and up around noon.

LMW1 Tue 18-May-21 08:09:49

Whenever I wake up. No set time depending on the night's sleep I have had smile

Naninka Tue 18-May-21 06:51:49

lifebeginsat60

I'm a sleep researcher. We all have different sleep patterns. The most important thing is a pattern that works for you and leaves you feeling refreshed upon waking. Evolutionarily speaking, it wouldn't make sense for everyone to be fast asleep all at the same time. Larks are self righteous in my experience but don't seem to be able to stay awake when owls want to party. Larks should also be grateful to the owls who are always there for them working the night shift in A&E and countless other jobs that mean late hours.

I love this!

Naninka Tue 18-May-21 06:49:39

I get up at 6am, as I have for 30+ years. I retire at the end of this term and will be spending some mornings making up for lost sleep!! However, I fancy the 8am swim sessions at our local pool.

Magrithea Mon 17-May-21 15:22:12

DH has a built in alarm clock and gets up around 7.15 a.m. wherever we are in the world! sometimes I can snooze on but generally get up not long after him. If I do snooze on it seems to put the whole day out of kilter!!

BAGGYGRANNY Mon 17-May-21 11:40:26

Another owl here with a lark for a DH !
Before retirement I was up at 6am ! Naturally thought on retiring I would get up when I woke. My DH had other plans but I did not get up until 9am. He has brought me a cup of tea every morning since I retired 12 years ago. Now , I wake at about 7 30 -8am ,read whilst I drink my tea and get up after that.

Summerfly Sun 16-May-21 15:46:25

After being a salad grower all my adult life, rising at the first light, especially in the summer months when it’s really hot working under glass structures, I now love being able to turn over and have another hour or two. I still can’t lay in bed much after 7am though, even though I used to promise myself the luxury of a lie in when I retired. Habit of a life time for me I suppose.

Chinesecrested Sun 16-May-21 14:25:02

When at my house it's between 8.00 - 9.00. When at the bf's house it's 10.00 - 11.00.

francisdelima Sun 16-May-21 11:18:05

I may have been awake a lot earlier but lay in bed resting but emerge from bed between 7 and 7'30 am. After washing I start the day with morning prayers and following Catholic Mass streamed from one of very many Churches in England, Northern Ireland and Eire. After taking a blood reading, I then set out to catch up with the UK and World news and getting breakfast under way!!

lifebeginsat60 Sun 16-May-21 11:14:23

I'm a sleep researcher. We all have different sleep patterns. The most important thing is a pattern that works for you and leaves you feeling refreshed upon waking. Evolutionarily speaking, it wouldn't make sense for everyone to be fast asleep all at the same time. Larks are self righteous in my experience but don't seem to be able to stay awake when owls want to party. Larks should also be grateful to the owls who are always there for them working the night shift in A&E and countless other jobs that mean late hours.

jangeo44 Sun 16-May-21 10:47:59

Go to bed at 10.00pm and get up at 4.45am. Deliver around 40 newspapers for local newsagent 7 days a week - takes about an hour. Back home cup of tea and we have our breakfast, then ready to start the day. Always have a doze in afternoon though most days

Lewie Sun 16-May-21 09:57:08

Now we have a puppy it's 6.30am! And I'm not a morning person - Aarrrghhhh!

Sawsage2 Sun 16-May-21 00:27:47

Bed at 2 am up at 11 am. Always been same apart from when I was working.

Mogsmaw Sat 15-May-21 22:57:05

I can easily get up very early if I have to, did for years when working, but my natural rhythm is bed about 2 and up at 10. DH is in bed at 9 every night and I really don’t know when he gets up. He often leaves bed at 4 o’clock but I think he sleeps in his recliner. As he often sleeps in front of the tv from about 7ish he’s had a good 8 hours most nights.
My mum had an “I’m up, your up attitude” I never understood. She used to phone me every Wednesday morning about 9am saying “oh, you must be out shopping” she knew I always took a lie-in on Wednesday as I had a 12 hour night shift to do and wouldn’t get back to bed till 10am on Thursday. She did this every week for 12 years.
When she started on my daughter about her sleep pattern I told her “never let anyone assume moral superiority just because they got up before you!”

boho43 Sat 15-May-21 22:35:58

Polarbear2

Jeez you lot don’t like your beds do you. I’m 9am unless I’ve got an appointment or suchlike. Bed is a wonderful place. xxx

I’m with you . 9 - 10am unless l have to be somewhere. Always try & make appointments for after midday!

Polarbear2 Sat 15-May-21 21:29:51

Jeez you lot don’t like your beds do you. I’m 9am unless I’ve got an appointment or suchlike. Bed is a wonderful place. xxx

Kamiso Sat 15-May-21 21:16:28

kevincharley

Never been an early riser but since covid at the start of the year I struggle to get out of bed before noon. Today, following the vaccination - to which I've had an awful reaction, it was 2pm before I crawled out from beneath the duvet.

Relieved that I am not the only slugabed! Particularly recently as I am more comfortable and in less pain. I can relax and read until lunchtime!

kevincharley Sat 15-May-21 20:55:07

Never been an early riser but since covid at the start of the year I struggle to get out of bed before noon. Today, following the vaccination - to which I've had an awful reaction, it was 2pm before I crawled out from beneath the duvet.

rugbymumcumbria Sat 15-May-21 20:22:10

I get up as soon as I wake. Currently any time 6am to 6.45am. Can’t bare to lie stinking’ in bed. I’ve never set an alarm, but have worked 9-5pm for the last 40 years.
You die in bed my MIL always said. She did, which proved her point. Get up everyone, the fun starts here!