Gransnet forums

Chat

What time do you get up in the morning?

(167 Posts)
FarawayGran Thu 13-May-21 06:15:13

I am not an early riser. The reason that I am posting this at
6 am is because I haven't slept a wink.
When I get around to reading the discussions I find the larks among you have filled up to seven pages.
I wonder how I got the impression that 'Larks' feel superior to us 'Owls'
'The early bird catches the worm' is a lofty saying by Larks, but I don't know if there are any such sayings by Owls, I can only remember :
A wise old owl sat on an oak
The more he saw the less he spoke,
The less he spoke the more he heard
Why can't we all be like that wise old bird
Even if we do sleep until mid-morning! moon

JennyNotFromTheBlock Thu 13-May-21 06:18:01

I usually get up at 6 or even earlier

grandMattie Thu 13-May-21 06:23:33

I’m normally up at 0530+ And am a “extreme” lark. Best time of day! I do have a nap in the afternoon.

Urmstongran Thu 13-May-21 06:32:30

Anytime between 6am and 8am. I don’t set an alarm just get up when I’ve had enough sleep. I don’t go to bed too late though - around 11pm. I don’t feel superior in any way, but I do love to be up at this quiet time of day!

BigBertha1 Thu 13-May-21 06:35:15

I wake up about now 6ish having woken several times in the night then I read the we and various other things on line, do my ,words, read some if my book and stay in bed till about 8 listening to Classic FM. No rush to get up here unless we have planned early golf or a day out. Even then I wouldn't be leaving the house before 10. Bedtime is 10pm.

BigBertha1 Thu 13-May-21 06:35:58

Read the news!

tanith Thu 13-May-21 07:03:06

Awake around 5:30 cuppa in bed watch the news or read till 7:30ish.

fevertree Thu 13-May-21 07:08:06

We are awake and up at 7 a.m. (no alarm) for 3 days a week because OH leaves for work at 8 a.m. (Tue - Thu). He makes tea and I stay in bed reading until he leaves for work and then I might go for a walk, clean the house, chat to my sister by text etc.

Fri to Mon we wake at about 8 a.m. and I make the tea.

We are upstairs by 10 p.m. and lights out is when one of us says "my eyes are going" smile.

Jaxjacky Thu 13-May-21 07:35:05

If Mr J is working, as he is today, we’re up about 6:30, if he’s not we’re up when we like, usually before 8:30. We’re in bed at 10’ish, depends what we’re watching. No feeling superior here! If I’ve had 7-8 hours sleep, I’m awake.

JaneJudge Thu 13-May-21 07:37:04

at this time of year it seems to be 6.15

BlueBelle Thu 13-May-21 07:41:28

I go to bed between10 and 11 pm Awake around 5 play games on my iPad listen to the radio and get up always up on the dot of 7 whether I m doing anything or not (no alarm)
I don’t feel superior at all but I do enjoy being a lark I often see the most glorious sunrises whilst others slumber

downtoearth Thu 13-May-21 07:45:03

I wake anytime between 5.30 -7.15, getting up is another matter since latest lockdown have procrastinated with either phone, ipad, or book and getting out of bed around 10, day is too long on my own otherwise, hopefully when all my activities and meet ups start again I will be the lark I am naturally instead of the sloth, in bed usually about 10ish

H1954 Thu 13-May-21 07:47:25

This morning it was 7am, OH has an appointment at 9am so I set my alarm. Normally, we get up when we wake up, unless we have anything planned.
We do volunteer locally and those days involve very early starts, often up at 5am depending on where we are needed.

dogsmother Thu 13-May-21 07:47:53

From 6:30 but I always go downstairs sort out dishwasher, dogs and then bring cuppa back to bed, recently bringing breakfast too.

nanna8 Thu 13-May-21 07:54:35

8.30 am since I retired. I used to get up at 6.45 am when I was working. Many tens of years ! If I have an early meeting or appointment I get up earlier of course !

glammanana Thu 13-May-21 08:15:09

When I was working it was always 6ish for a quiet cuppa before family got up.Mr G would have been on a 3 shift system so he may have been home or at work.I did this for 30+ yrs.
Since retirement I get up when I feel I have had enough sleep usually about 8am,except for this morning where I am due to take my car to the garage for MOT for 9am I got up thinking it was 7.30 when in fact it was 6.30 I had read the time wrong on my bedroom clock hence me being on here passing the time until its time to leave.

Loislovesstewie Thu 13-May-21 08:21:08

I get up between 5.15 and 5.30 a.am. I am just a natural lark(DH is exactly the opposite!). I take the old dog, yes I mean the canine not DH, out early. We enjoy the peace and quiet, I hear birds singing, chat to other early risers and then home for breakfast! Lovely!

Grandma70s Thu 13-May-21 08:23:01

Usually get a cup of tea before six, take it back to bed, watch BBC Breakfast, then get up about 7.30. If I’m later than that it upsets my whole day!

infoman Thu 13-May-21 08:23:42

Normally 04:00am till 05:00am thats because my work place needed me to their before 05:00am.
The downside is I have to go to bed no later than 8pm ish
Thats life.

NannyJan53 Thu 13-May-21 08:36:22

Usually between 7.30 and 8.00am. I take Mr J a cuppa and he surfaces between 8 and 8.30.

When I worked, I had to be out of the house by 7.30! So was up at 6.30. Happily I retired 4 years ago, and often ponder how I managed to do that!

LindaPat Thu 13-May-21 08:45:36

I wake anytime between 5.30 and 6am. I don't sleep particularly well, so sometimes I can be awake a lot during the night.

I get up, have a coffee, watch the Breakfast programme ( prefer BBC news to ITV ), then shower and dressed by 7.30. If I don't get in the shower early, I start pottering around, and could easily find myself still in my dressing gown at 10.00!

MrL either leaves for work at 7.40, or logs on to the office at 8am. He is only going in 3 mornings a week at the moment, rest of the time he works from home.

We are usually in bed for 10pm, may read for 15-20 mins. I have always been a Lark, luckily MrL is too. My daughter however is definitely an Owl. When she lived at home I swore she was a vampire, because she only came out at night!

sodapop Thu 13-May-21 08:54:25

Like you FarawayGran I don't sleep well 4 - 5 hours is good for me. I usually fall asleep around 2am but wake more than once after that. I get up between 8 - 8.30am. First job to walk the dog then coffee and breakfast with GN.

Bodach Thu 13-May-21 08:59:17

The bedside clock radio wakes me (quietly) at 7:00 with the BBC Radio 4 News. Normal routine was to switch it off as soon as the news was over - and before the annoyingly patronising "Today" interviews started. I could then choose either to get up, or snooze on. However, since the "OFF" button on said clock radio started failing intermittently to do its job - necessitating several increasingly bad-tempered presses/jabs/blows to make it work - I find I am irredeemably awake, and there is nothing for it but to rise. I am seriously considering the purchase of a new clock radio, but (on past form) I shall still be doing so for some time yet.....

Shropshirelass Thu 13-May-21 09:04:46

I usually wake when it gets light and the birds are singing, but I get up around 7 so do my dogs, as soon as they hear me around they are up too.

Nansnet Thu 13-May-21 09:24:17

FarawayGran you are not alone! I'm a 'Night Owl' too! I've never been an early riser, except when I worked, and I had to get up at 6am!shock I'm more than happy to stay up until the wee small hours, but I don't sleep well, and therefore I hate getting up early! The only problem is that DH is also a 'Night Owl', but he still gets up with the 'Larks', and constantly complains that I'm wasting the day away if I don't get up early! I can see his point, and wish I was one of these people who could get up early, feeling refreshed!