Gransnet forums

Chat

What are the best cities in Europe to visit ?

(71 Posts)
Artaylar Sat 15-May-21 17:35:56

Hi there.

I'm never happier than when I'm making a list - so DH says anyway. wink

I've started putting together a list of cities in Europe that I would like to visit over the next 10 years - if I last that long.

So far I've got - Seville, Budapest, Bucharest, Ljubljana, Warsaw, Prague, Ghent, Verona, Naples, and Copenhagen.

It would be great if you could share your experiences of European cities that you have enjoyed visiting, and what made your visit/s so enjoyable.

Thanks a lot thanks

Kate1949 Sat 15-May-21 19:13:49

We used to go to Dublin regularly as we have family there. We went back about five years ago and couldn't believe the cost of food and drink. Astronomical.

Grandmadinosaur Sat 15-May-21 19:25:07

Another tick for Florence for me. Such a wonderful place to visit and the most amazing ice cream ?
We weren’t too fussed on Naples either.
Also loved Barcelona. Only been once but so much to see another visit is long overdue.
We like Palma in Majorca had a couple of city breaks there which I would recommend

Mapleleaf Sat 15-May-21 19:29:15

So many lovely places already mentioned. I'd also recommend Bruges and Stockholm.

Witzend Sat 15-May-21 19:41:10

We really enjoyed Krakow. Small city, easy to walk around.

foxie48 Sat 15-May-21 19:45:33

I love Florence, OH booked a our of the Vasari corridor in the Uffizi which was really special. Venice is also beautiful, we stayed outside the main tourist area as it's lovely to wander about and avoid the crowds. I have friends who always go in Winter and say it's magical. I had a great stay in Barcelona with my younger daughter, fab food and wine and lots to see. My daughter also recommends Lisbon.

Soupy Sat 15-May-21 19:46:56

Tallinn was wonderful; so much to see and excellent value for money

Curlywhirly Sat 15-May-21 19:52:48

Some of our favourites: Lucca - a beautiful walled city in Tuscany; Bologna, Turin, Venice, Rome (of course!), Dubrovnik, Split - the Diocletian's Palace is amazing; Baden Baden, Granada, Palma, Madrid, Lisbon, Carcassonne - another walled city; Rouen, Amsterdam, Bruges, Ghent; the list is endless. We love city breaks and are looking forward to visiting some more when Covid is a distant memory!

Floradora9 Sun 16-May-21 09:50:16

I will never forget Hero's Square in Budapest .
Florence
Assisi
Rome
Vienna going to the opera there
and by far the best UK city is Edinburgh .

Grannybags Sun 16-May-21 10:10:41

Florence, so much nicer than Venice

Amsterdam

Tallin I was surprised how beautiful it was

St Petersburg (if that can be classed as Europe!)

Grannybags Sun 16-May-21 10:11:32

Oh yes and Vienna. Spanish Riding school and the Vienna Boys choir - bliss!

muse Sun 16-May-21 10:13:41

Lots of my favourites have been mentioned. Mapleleaf has already mentioned it but I'll give Bruges a thumbs up.

Edinburgh is a beautiful city. Just spotted flora has listed it.

What about a town here in UK. There are many, like two in my birth county, Derbyshire. Matlock and Bakewell are close to lots of site seeing places.

Sago Sun 16-May-21 10:18:51

I am not well travelled in that I have been out of Europe once.
However we have visited so many of the places mentioned.
Two places that have been a great surprise were Lisbon and Porto.
The most disappointing was Rome.

Callistemon Sun 16-May-21 10:47:48

No-one has mentioned Dubrovnik - although I haven't been back since it was rebuilt after the war I think it has been rebuilt sympathetically.

It's beautiful and a walk round the walls is well worth it for the views.

silverlining48 Sun 16-May-21 10:53:02

Best to check if cruise ships are in port as it can get very crowded which takes away from the experience,

NotSpaghetti Sun 16-May-21 11:05:08

I can’t believe anyone could be disappointed with Rome but you do need to take your time there to soak it up and feel out the moods of the city.

Florence is beautiful with fabulous museums and galleries. Worth visiting just for the art... but it’s super-touristy so you need to go back three or four streets from tourist places to find the real life there.

Small places, less on the radar, are, to me, more genuine. But I’m not a quick weekend in a city person, I need time to chat to locals and feel the pulse of a place.

Some towns, such as Rieti, are warm and welcoming. Not “marvels” of any kind but still attractive. They aren’t so special as Florence but the relationships we formed there in just a few weeks felt genuine. We were invited into people’s homes, saw how they lived, took their advice about restaurants, found our own truffles with them, and shopped and ate in places we would never have discovered in the big cities.

We all have very different ideas as to what draws us to a place. For me, I love the architecture and the sense of a place well trodden. I love warm-hearted people and simple pleasures. Don’t misunderstand me, I still like some warm sun and a good pool but other things bring so much satisfaction.

Good luck on your hunt for the perfect (for you) places.

Sago Sun 16-May-21 11:59:54

Castimellon Dubrovnik is beautiful but sadly it is so full of cruise ships ( normal times) that it is unpleasant.
We chose to go on the quietest day we could just 2 ships.
It was terrible, the tourists who were mostly Asian couldn’t grasp the one way system around the walls and they blocked entrances and alleys everywhere taking selfies!

We found a beautiful church and went in for some cool, calm and reflection.
After just a few seconds a party of Chinese came in, the women draped themselves over the pews provocatively whilst the men took photographs?.

We gave up and went to Montenegro, it was as bad but swarms of Russians.

My husband found peace in Mostar.

cb1963 Sun 16-May-21 12:00:23

Muse
You mentioned Matlock and Bakewell. A favourite place of mine to visit would be Ilam very pretty and part of the National Trust.

geekesse Sun 16-May-21 12:00:34

My favourites in order of preference: Rome, Lisbon, Venice, Galway, Berlin.

Eloethan Sun 16-May-21 12:04:13

Edinburgh
Dubrovnik
Wells

Blossoming Sun 16-May-21 12:09:16

Copenhagen is lovely but it’s not in Europe. If you’re including Scandinavia in your list I’d also recommend Stockholm and Bergen.

Kate1949 Sun 16-May-21 12:13:39

As we are including towns, Killarney and its beautiful lakes takes some beating.

nanna8 Sun 16-May-21 12:16:47

Bergen is nice . It is hard to choose,isn’t it ? We went on a Mediterranean cruise with extra days in Venice and Barcelona which was lovely. Then we went to Copenhagen,also nice but not my favourite. I also like some of the little towns in South Germany like Bamberg and Regensburg.

Daisend1 Sun 16-May-21 12:21:25

My honey moon was spent in Paris. and my work over the years has taken me to many capitals, Athens will always be my favourite.

varian Sun 16-May-21 12:22:24

Blossoming

Copenhagen is lovely but it’s not in Europe. If you’re including Scandinavia in your list I’d also recommend Stockholm and Bergen.

Why do you say Copenhagen is not in Europe?

Ashcombe Sun 16-May-21 12:24:43

Blossoming

Scandinavia is part of the continent of Europe.