Gransnet forums

Chat

What rituals or habits do you have which may seem odd to others?

(91 Posts)
GillT57 Mon 17-May-21 16:09:45

I have just been reading an interesting thread on MN about this, and wondered if anyone on here has any habits which may seem odd to others? For example; I always put on my right sock first, always make the bed before getting into it even if I have forgotten to make it after turning it back to air in the morning, cannot abide cold drinks out of a mug, check the external doors at least twice before going to bed.

LuckyDuck Wed 19-May-21 12:31:34

Redhead56

Is there an easy way to get rid of the stringy bits in raw eggs I believe are called Chalaza (I Googled it). There is a gadget on Amazon sold in America but costs £14 shock...I just can`t eat an egg with that bit in it, eww

Mistymoocake Wed 19-May-21 12:33:35

Oh I have loads but the main one is I eat the crust of my sandwidge first all of them if I have more than I eat what I don't like first and leave the best to last. I had mixed veg paster and meatbals for lunch and ate the veg first which was difficult as it bas atthe bottom. I think if is because I was always made to eat everything as a child but has left me with a life long weight problem. I can I must add eat properly if out or with company.

Mistymoocake Wed 19-May-21 12:34:32

Apologies for the bad spelling must read before submitting in future

LuckyDuck Wed 19-May-21 12:34:53

GillT57

Does standing on one leg strengthen the foot and ankle do you know? I have dodgy tendons. Thanks

grandtanteJE65 Wed 19-May-21 12:36:39

I too use matching pegs and I hang clothes out as I was taught, which means all socks in pairs, then underpants, other underwear, shirts, blouses, skirts and trousers. Bedlinen together on the other line.

But I do put DHs and my undies on the same line, which would have horrified my Scottish grannie!

We have each our own mug or cup that no-one else drinks out of, our own spoon and fork as well.

Washing up can stand over from one evening to the next morning, except at Christmas and New Year.

House is thoroughly cleaned before Christmas and Easter.

Mak27 Wed 19-May-21 12:42:36

Thank goodness I’m not the only mad one ! I do practically all that’s on here. Not seen anyone do this though, I live near a railway line and I have to count the carriages when the train goes past and I have to always stop and watch a grand central train go out of sight ! Strangely I only count the trucks when I’m stopped at the crossing (always 23) am I mad or am I sad or even worse both ?

TwiceAsNice Wed 19-May-21 13:02:55

Use the same mug for first tea of the day.
Hang tops/T-shirt’s on same colour order- much easier to find
Check everything is off in the kitchen before I go out - even if I haven’t used the stove
Have to pull the door handle down several times even though I know it’s locked
Wash myself in the same order when I shower

We are all creatures of habit d everyone is at least a bit OCD

Mamma7 Wed 19-May-21 13:13:19

Haha - I have a lot of these and tv volume is either 11 22 34 or 44 etc a little recent quirk which amuses the family so much I carry on with it ?

Daisend1 Wed 19-May-21 13:15:08

Redhead56
What do you do in your spare time grin

dogsmother Wed 19-May-21 13:31:13

Hanging washing has to be done “my way” I don’t mind about the pegs but it has to be the correct way…..
The hand towel is the only other foible ( I think). I have it length way top to bottom and himself is forever stretching it across the top of the rail ? at least he washes his hands as he reports to me a lot of males are guilty of not doing this so much.

Hilarybee Wed 19-May-21 13:38:28

If my husband is out driving and a hay lorry is coming towards him he has to say ‘Load of hay, load of hay bring me luck today’ and then count up to 10 before the hay lorry has gone past. Apparently it something he has done right from his childhood .

GillT57 Wed 19-May-21 13:45:19

LuckyDuck

GillT57

Does standing on one leg strengthen the foot and ankle do you know? I have dodgy tendons. Thanks

My chiropractor recommended this to strengthen the muscles in my legs. In my case the problem is with my thigh muscles but going by how my ankles wobble from side to side I would say it is all of them

Ellet Wed 19-May-21 14:02:03

Lovely thread, I’m glad to see other people are as eccentric as me.
Don’t match pegs but certainly match the socks on the line. Matching cups or mugs and I like to stack the dishwasher because none of the family do it as I do.
Never noticed which socks or shoes go on first, will look tomorrow morning.

Harmonypuss Wed 19-May-21 14:06:59

I've got a couple the same as other pp's.... I cut my sausages lengthways to ensure they are cooked thoroughly and I eat the crusts first unless it's crusty bread or toast then they come last.

I hate even numbers, especially anything divisible by 6 and use 'and' when counting instead (1 2 3 4 5 and 7 8 9 10 11 and 13 etc), unless it's 30,60 etc because they're 10's and the only even numbers properly allowed in my world.

I use family birthdays when choosing numbers for things, fortunately they are all odd too.

The tv/radio volume must conform in the first instance with a birthday or at least be an odd number.

I count each step when going up/down stairs and at home it goes .. 1 2 3 4 5 and 7 8 9 10 11 and I'm at the top/bottom again ('and' is 12 clearly, 'I'm at' is 13, 'the top/bottom' is my right foot hitting the floor at the top or bottom and 'again' is my left foot meeting it there, thus completing the stairs journey). This started one night when the landing light bulb had blown and I had to go up to bed in the dark and it's stuck with me ever since.

I'm also lefthanded so my left hand/foot always has to be first, I couldn't bear the thought of my left being anything other than an odd number!

Clearly, I'm odd (thank heavens for that), but I just don't care ?

LadyJus Wed 19-May-21 14:32:54

Towel tags at the back whilst hanging up.
Toilet roll must hang over to the front.
Matching colour pegs.
Different handle spoons facing opposite ends of the drawer.
Small oven glove has to hang on top of double oven glove.
Tea and coffee canister handles have to line up, as do the saucepan lids.
Toothpaste tube has to go behind the left (hot) tap.
Bread goes into the breadbin on the right hand side.
Chopping boards are stored in size order, so are baking trays.
Same as everyone else with wardrobe clothing!

GrannyTracey Wed 19-May-21 15:29:09

My cousin was telling me yesterday that she eats her roast dinner in order of the veg she likes the least first & eats all the cabbage first , then the carrots , then the peas , potatoes meat ... I like a little bit of everything on my fork

Fennel Wed 19-May-21 16:53:23

Such a good question.
This is one of our 600+ mitzvots, thank God for waking alive each morning.
Even if you don't feel like it.

CBBL Wed 19-May-21 17:02:02

I'm with others who have a clothes grouping and colours in order in the wardrobe! I organise my husband's T shirts by rainbow colours, too (house buyers were always impressed - but he does have an awful lot of T shirts, mostly in plain colours)! My husband and I have our "own" mugs, but happily use one of a number. I, too, like socks to be in their pairs, and only have wooden pegs. I also have a mantra regarding hanging washing (for clothes). If you wear it on your top - hang it by the bottom, and vice-versa!

Lettice Wed 19-May-21 17:14:22

I start the day with coffee and a crossword puzzle, back in bed. Don't get up until it is complete.

GillT57 Wed 19-May-21 17:18:56

Loo roll must hang to front, not the back, teatowels folded lengthwise to hang on oven door rail. We have a set of 4 mugs which are generally used for breakfast coffee; 2 each of complementary pattern. Each morning I put two different ones on the tray, can't have two the same. Mugs must be fine china, white inside and only used for hot drinks. Like my late Father, I would faint if offered a mug of water or squash! Likewise wine glasses, I hate a chunky beaker of wine. Or gin. I put the dish cloth in the laundry after just one use, wipe down after breakfast and away it goes and is replaced with a clean one. Strangely I am not obsessive about anything else and the kitchen floor often has a few days worth of dog paw prints, I just hate damp dish cloths!

Corkie91 Wed 19-May-21 20:49:19

Lifes to short

GreenGran78 Wed 19-May-21 21:19:03

“They’re all mad except me and thee - and I’m not too sure about thee!”
An old Lancashire saying which seems appropriate to this theme.

Callistemon Wed 19-May-21 22:03:31

Matching pegs
TV volume 35, 37, 40 or 42 or 45 on Netflix
Loo roll to the front
China mugs for tea but I don't mind pottery for coffee
I will restack the dishwasher if someone doesn't do it 'properly'
Left sock, left shoe on first

What rituals or habits do you have which may seem odd to others?
I think some of my friends might find that going on Gransnet is rather odd grin

Callistemon Wed 19-May-21 22:05:35

Oh - and no 'cracks' in the curtains when drawn.

trollop8101 Wed 19-May-21 23:50:48

Omg are you my long lost twin ?