Gransnet forums

Chat

Boris and Carrie have got married!

(610 Posts)
B9exchange Sat 29-May-21 20:23:54

Congratulations to Boris and Carrie who got married today in Westminster Catholic Cathedral. Just that really. I love weddings, doesn't matter who the couple are, I always hope it works out happily.

Callistemon Sun 06-Jun-21 22:21:47

It has often been said that Harold Wilson was Her Majesty's favourite PM
I heard that too.

Whatdayisit Sun 06-Jun-21 22:04:45

That's nice Varian. I like the way he was depicted in The Crown and the relationship with HM - very touching.

varian Sun 06-Jun-21 21:43:04

I have heard that Harold Wilson stepped down as PM in 1976 because he had been diagnosed with early signs of dementia.

We were invited to a Buckingham Palace garden party in 1992 and saw Harold and Mary Wilson there. He looked very frail and she seemed very caring.

It has often been said that Harold Wilson was Her Majesty's favourite PM.

Callistemon Sun 06-Jun-21 20:46:37

I always thought Mary Wilson was a very nice woman.
Nice might seem inadequate and overused, but I think sometimes it is appropriate.
Pleasant? Kind? Decent? Agreeable?

Nice.

Ellianne Sun 06-Jun-21 16:21:52

Apologies last two posters. What I said about Mary Wilson being prim and proper was actually taken from the perspective of a 8 to 11 year old school girl.
Sorry for the put down.

Ilovecheese Sun 06-Jun-21 16:09:06

You are not wrong there theworriedwell

theworriedwell Sun 06-Jun-21 15:45:47

Ellianne

Anniebach

Harold Wilson and Marcia ?

grin

My mother was at boarding school with Wilson's wife Mary. Both of them were daughters of clergymen. Apparently Mary was very saintly, prim and proper, (stuck up). Maybe Wilson needed a bit more fun elsewhere?
My mother was a real rogue at school!

We don't need men to put women down do we, we do it so well ourselves.

theworriedwell Sun 06-Jun-21 15:43:30

Whatdayisit

Ellianne

It still shocks me about John Major and Edwina - always the quiet ones!
Wasn't it around the same time that Cecil Parkinson had an affair with his secretary, Flora Keys? I remember finding that sad as they had a little girl with health issues and I don't think he supported them.

Baron Parkinson got his secretary pregnant in 1983 Flora is 37 now and was treated despicably by Parkinson.
Edwina was having her affair with JM in 1985 and felt very sorry for Parkinson and his wife and family - but obviously not bothered about poor Norma.

We definitely cannot add Edward Heath to the list - he never married! But he allegedly had a very sinister/secret private life.

Wasn't all the stuff about Heath based on a case that was proven to be untrue. I can't remember the details, something about proof he wasn't there.

Trouble is mud sticks.

MarjieM Sun 06-Jun-21 15:41:20

I think it’s all a bit pointless really, I imagine it’s for monetary or tax reasons.

Iam64 Sun 06-Jun-21 15:33:40

Boothby was I discriminately promiscuous. He also had long standing relationships, including sex, with the Krays

Whatdayisit Sun 06-Jun-21 14:15:06

Mary Wilson at 102 years and 145 days holds the record as the longest living spouse of a PM! Antony Eden''s wife could break the record she will be 101 on 28th June. She has to live to November 2022 to do so!

Ellianne Sun 06-Jun-21 10:19:37

Anniebach

grin

My mother was at boarding school with Wilson's wife Mary. Both of them were daughters of clergymen. Apparently Mary was very saintly, prim and proper, (stuck up). Maybe Wilson needed a bit more fun elsewhere?
My mother was a real rogue at school!

Anniebach Sun 06-Jun-21 10:07:53

Blinko Sun 06-Jun-21 09:03:52

Ah! Hugh Jackman, now you're talking!

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 06-Jun-21 09:02:17

A lot of young naval ratings tripping up his back stairs. Allegedly.

Whatdayisit Sat 05-Jun-21 20:20:54

Ellianne

^It still shocks me about John Major and Edwina - always the quiet ones!^
Wasn't it around the same time that Cecil Parkinson had an affair with his secretary, Flora Keys? I remember finding that sad as they had a little girl with health issues and I don't think he supported them.

Baron Parkinson got his secretary pregnant in 1983 Flora is 37 now and was treated despicably by Parkinson.
Edwina was having her affair with JM in 1985 and felt very sorry for Parkinson and his wife and family - but obviously not bothered about poor Norma.

We definitely cannot add Edward Heath to the list - he never married! But he allegedly had a very sinister/secret private life.

Whatdayisit Sat 05-Jun-21 20:05:17

Another dimension Harold MacMillan's wife Lady Dorothy daughter of the Duke of Devonshire had a 30 year affair with Bob Boothby hidden from no one accepted by all.

trisher Sat 05-Jun-21 15:09:04

I don't think I did say Lloyd George was upper class. I said they accepted adultery and he fathered children with them. His origins were not mentioned

Chestnut Sat 05-Jun-21 14:43:12

I'm not sure you can say Lloyd George was one of the upper class. His background was very different from the other toffs and he never quite fitted in amongst the Oxbridge set. He was very clever and could match them in debate, but was not a true toff.

lemongrove Sat 05-Jun-21 13:48:59

It shows how far we have come and crossed the class divide then trisher ? as there is a lot of adultery around everywhere and in all social ‘classes’. Levelling up? Or levelling down?

trisher Sat 05-Jun-21 13:14:52

FC There was a lot of adultery around in the upper classes at the time I believe. The concept being that the wife provided the husband with a couple of children to carry on the family name but then both were free to stray. If she got pregnant the child would be treated as the husband's. LG is supposed to have fathered quite a few.-hence the song.

FannyCornforth Sat 05-Jun-21 13:05:13

trisher

Do you suppose he thought the baby was one of his Fanny? 'Lloyd George knew my father' and all that

Actually, that did cross my mind.
I know very little about LG but
I've read that he had 'secret' children, and that he really loved children

trisher Sat 05-Jun-21 12:50:11

As far as the comparison between Lloyd George and Boris Johnson goes perhaps the best clue to their differences lies in the way they have treated their families. LG always supported his wife and children although he had other women and his wife did not like living in London www.library.wales/digital-exhibitions-space/digital-exhibitions/david-lloyd-george/the-life-and-work-of-david-lloyd-george/david-lloyd-georges-family
As for BJ 2nd wife pregnant whilst he was married to No 1, shacked up with 3rd wife whilst still married to No 2. Doesn't know how many children he actually has and tried to wriggle out of supporting 1.
LG may have been a philanderer but he had some principles. It's hard to find any in BJ.

lemongrove Sat 05-Jun-21 11:58:29

MawBe

I’d be more worried if the song went “Lloyd George knew my mother……” ???

????

lemongrove Sat 05-Jun-21 11:57:43

Chestnut

trisher

lemon presumably you don't believe then that behaving in a questionable way in one's private life indicates loose morals, which mean you will act in the same way in your political life? If you lie and cheat in private you will lie and cheat in public.

Lloyd George was a renowned womaniser and steered the country out of WW1. After that he was so loved by the people the King was quite jealous of his popularity. I believe some of his methods were a bit dubious but he was still one of our greatest Prime Ministers. Sometimes being a paragon of virtue doesn't always bring the best outcomes, nor does it endear you to the people.

You have answered for me Chestnut thanks.?