Gransnet forums

Chat

I’ve ordered a 2nd sack-of-potatoes dress

(131 Posts)
Witzend Mon 31-May-21 18:41:10

Bought the first a few weeks ago, wearing it for the 1st time today. It’s not far off ankle length, sleeves just past elbow length, not the most flattering ever but so cool and comfortable! (Very warm here today.) It’s cotton and linen seersucker but doesn’t crease! So I thought sod it and although it was on the pricey side I’ve ordered another in a different colour.
So if the rest of the summer turns out to be rubbish, you can all blame me. ?
I’m now sitting in the garden with the first G&T of the year, so cheers all! ?

Puzzler61 Sun 13-Jun-21 11:48:12

I’ve bought this dress.
Don’t fancy tiered dresses (I’m too short) but this is more of a “sack-like” comfortable dress in lightweight jersey.
www.curvissa.co.uk/products/together-abstract-animal-tunic-dress/_/A-48E220_8

MayBee70 Sun 13-Jun-21 11:32:33

The dresses on the Seasalt site are gorgeous.

Callistemon Fri 11-Jun-21 15:46:08

I was going to shorten it to a midi length anyway
Will you make matching masks out of the remainder?

FannyCornforth Fri 11-Jun-21 13:56:44

JaneJudge

Yes, it looks like you could end up in a right pickle in it and trip yourself up!

facebook is also suggesting this I mean wtf. My neighbours would never speak to me again and I'd most probably get served notice

I burst out laughing! ?

NotAGran55 Fri 11-Jun-21 13:54:46

I gave into temptation , bought the YESNO dress ? but returned it as the fabric was a bit thin for my liking . Length fine for 5’1 and a good fit though.
I was going to shorten it to a midi length anyway .

JaneJudge Fri 11-Jun-21 13:53:03

Yes, it looks like you could end up in a right pickle in it and trip yourself up!

facebook is also suggesting this I mean wtf. My neighbours would never speak to me again and I'd most probably get served notice

FannyCornforth Fri 11-Jun-21 13:29:35

Jane I love that!! ?
It looks a bit long though - even on the model...

JaneJudge Fri 11-Jun-21 12:06:42

I don't think I even commented on this thread, just looked at the links and now here and facebook keep suggesting dresses like this grin

NotAGran55 Tue 08-Jun-21 19:39:20

MiniMoon’s Dress is made by a company called YESNO .

FannyCornforth Tue 08-Jun-21 07:42:50

Dannirae it looks like we're going to have an official GN dress!

DanniRae Tue 08-Jun-21 07:41:11

MiniMoon

I bought this dress from Amazon for £19:99. I know, don't judge. It is fairly fine cotton, but isn't see-through. Looks well made and has two side pockets. Loads of different prints and solid colours, and two different necklines to choose from.
It's ankle on me, I'm 5' 3".
I'm toying with the idea of buying another one.

I like this dress - can you let us know the make, please, so it is easier to find on Amazon web site. Thank you

FannyCornforth Tue 08-Jun-21 07:37:34

Minimoon I really like the style of that dress (pockets!) and love the colours.
Can you tell me the make please, so that I can have a look on Amazon. Thank you!

Puzzler61 Tue 08-Jun-21 07:31:07

Lisagran , Polly and MiniMoon all the dresses you’ve posted photo’s of are lovely.
I would just need to be a foot taller to wear them, or I would look like one of Ken Dodd’s Diddy men. ?

NotAGran55 Mon 07-Jun-21 16:54:17

MiniMoon the dress looks lovely I must say and I’m tempted to buy it.
Would you be brave enough to model it for us ? I wouldn’t as I’m very camera shy ?, so understand if you wouldn’t want to.

NotAGran55 Mon 07-Jun-21 16:49:52

FannyCornforth

NotAGran re colouring.
For some reason blue really suits me, especially navy.
And if something is made from cotton; has sleeves; comes below the knee and in my size; I will buy it!

The colour thing is quite complicated to be honest . ‘Navy’ is in all the seasons but in different shades - some cool some warm .
So if you hit on the right shade you are OK .
I’m sure you look lovely regardlesssmile
Totally ‘get’ our dress criteria too .

MayBee70 Mon 07-Jun-21 11:47:45

Polly12

This one from Hush looks nice. Not many sizes left though

www.hush-uk.com/penelope-tiered-dress-floral-animal/002056-3079-10.html#fo_c=1586&fo_k=1def9ebc6ea78fb8df2f82cba4741040&fo_s=gsuruk

I’ve got a couple of dresses similar that. I’ve just ordered some ‘big bloomer’ thingys which solves the problem of the dress blowing up if there’s a gust of wind.

MiniMoon Mon 07-Jun-21 11:30:04

I bought this dress from Amazon for £19:99. I know, don't judge. It is fairly fine cotton, but isn't see-through. Looks well made and has two side pockets. Loads of different prints and solid colours, and two different necklines to choose from.
It's ankle on me, I'm 5' 3".
I'm toying with the idea of buying another one.

jocork Mon 07-Jun-21 10:14:35

Emily49

I think the fancy name is Lagen look oversized dress [smile{. I have one I bought in a market in France a few years ago, when the temps soared. My OH hates if!

I googled Lagen and what came up were not like the one posted. Some did look loose and comfy but others looked like huge tents.

My daughter complains that I wear things that are too big and baggy but I hate anything too fitted as I prefer to hide my bulges. I tend to think she wears things that are too tight and are sometimes unflattering but I try not to be too critical - had enough of that from my own DM.

I did see some rather nice dungarees on the site but am I too old? I wore dungarees in my twenties and thirties but I'm retired now and think maybe it's a step too far, though they look pretty comfy. hmm

Yorki Mon 07-Jun-21 10:11:03

What's a potato sack dress?

FannyCornforth Mon 07-Jun-21 08:37:03

NotAGran re colouring.
For some reason blue really suits me, especially navy.
And if something is made from cotton; has sleeves; comes below the knee and in my size; I will buy it!

NotAGran55 Sun 06-Jun-21 16:45:02

FannyCornforth

LadyStardust I bought the very same dress today from QVC!

Why are Buffet dresses called Buffet dresses? And what features must they have?

Fanny why have you bought that blue dress if you are autumn colouring!? It’s cool ? summer colouring.

Buffet dresses are baggy and tiered - to hide a pig-out session at a buffet .

Polly12 Sun 06-Jun-21 12:58:57

This one from Hush looks nice. Not many sizes left though

www.hush-uk.com/penelope-tiered-dress-floral-animal/002056-3079-10.html#fo_c=1586&fo_k=1def9ebc6ea78fb8df2f82cba4741040&fo_s=gsuruk

Polly12 Sun 06-Jun-21 12:52:17

That one looks nice. However the email they sent me this morning included some ‘mini me’ dresses, identical for mother and child. Each to her own, but even when I was decades younger I wouldn’t have wanted to wear the same dress as dds of 5 or 6!

www.marksandspencer.com/mini-me-womens-and-kids-dresses/p/ds208f911a202ed58fa0261b4e67ff7ddf

Oh, they’re just weird!

Witzend Thu 03-Jun-21 12:13:00

That one looks nice. However the email they sent me this morning included some ‘mini me’ dresses, identical for mother and child. Each to her own, but even when I was decades younger I wouldn’t have wanted to wear the same dress as dds of 5 or 6!

Please, M&S, I do still like some of your things, but I really would like to see some more properly grown up, stylish, un-fussy clothes, and I don’t mean old-lady things, which is what your ‘classic’ dept. seemed to have last time I looked - admittedly quite a while ago now.

Blossoming Thu 03-Jun-21 12:11:00

If you love it, will wear it, feel good in it and can afford it then go for it.

It’s definitely not the most expensive online shop. I Lust after a Vivienne Westwood tartan jacket but can’t justify the cost!