Gransnet forums

Chat

Royal Chat - All Welcome! ?

(1001 Posts)
FannyCornforth Tue 01-Jun-21 06:59:50

An Multi-Purpose Thread for All Things Royalty Based.

All are Welcome: Pro; Anti; Monarchist; Republican; a Strange Contradictory Mix; and Don't Knows.

All Topics are up for Discussion:
Both High Brow and Low -Constitutional; Gossip and Innuendo;
Family Members Old and New; Fashion to Infidelities.

You get the idea. ?

God Bless this Ship and All who Sail in Her! ?

Dryginger Thu 17-Jun-21 17:59:00

Im Sorry I didnt realise we can only talk about frocks and gardens I thought this was for all topics Royal?

Anniebach Thu 17-Jun-21 18:12:13

lemsip how can you say the speech was spot on ? Charles
Spencer who said of his own wife , she was like a plank, thick
and certainly thin, she had an eating disorder, he said this in a
speech.

Whatdayisit Thu 17-Jun-21 19:04:09

I have often thought about poor Diana when she needed support doors shut on her including tgat of Althorpe House.
As Prince Harry said the last time he spoke to his mum he was at Balmoral playing with his cousins and it was hi mum bye mum - if i had known that was the last time i would have spoken to my mum i would have stayed on the phone forever.

The problem is people don't always know someone is going to die soon and then are riddled with regret.

In my opinion as a strong woman Diana was happy to do the interview. Prince William obviously knows the effect everything had on his mum's mh but i do feel she got her say and i don't think she was wrong to do it.

The one person who was there for Diana in her darkest hours was her step-mum Raine.
Even though Diana had called her Acid Raine and made her life hell and even though in 1989 she pushed Raine down the stairs at Althorpe.
What a lady to be able to put all that behind her (being slung out of Althorpe on her husband's death) and wrap her in love and friendship when she really needed it. Raine introduced her to Mohammed Al Fayed and well there you go. I watch every Channel 5 Royal programme i can tell it's Richard Kaye without raising my head!

Can wd talk about The Crown on here?

Sparklefizz Thu 17-Jun-21 19:18:01

Me too Whatdayisit ^ I watch every Channel 5 Royal programme i can tell it's Richard Kaye without raising my head!^

eazybee Thu 17-Jun-21 19:27:01

Lemsip, that speech was dreadful: mawkish, insincere and entirely wrong for a funeral oration. Diana was not treated dreadfully by the Royal family, support was offered which she refused, and it was she who estranged herself from her own family, including her brother, sisters and mother, in the last months of her life.
The crowds outside the Abbey were there for the spectacle, and they turned a funeral for a woman's tragic loss of life into a circus.

Whatdayisit Thu 17-Jun-21 21:37:18

Sparklefizz

Me too Whatdayisit ^ I watch every Channel 5 Royal programme i can tell it's Richard Kaye without raising my head!^

Ha ha Sparklefizz! I do raise my head when i hear him i think he is rather nice lol!

I do enjoy hearing the Royal Experts! They must be popular programmes!

NotSpaghetti Thu 17-Jun-21 22:10:36

Whatdayisit

Phew i am glad to get back on the royal chat thread i feel like you need a suit of armour on the Lillibet thread!

I didn’t know the Lilibet thread was still active! ?

Whatdayisit Thu 17-Jun-21 23:07:31

Sorry Not Spaghetti you have lost me?

FannyCornforth Fri 18-Jun-21 08:45:51

NotSpaghetti - Whatdayisit posted that comment a week ago, when the L**** thread was still active.

Btw - yes, all Royal topics are up for discussion.
I hope that Blossoming doesn't mind me speaking for her; but I think that she was saying that she personally preferred 'frocks and gardens' type of chat; not that she was criticising anyone or anything. smile

FannyCornforth Fri 18-Jun-21 08:53:37

Whatdayisit yes, of course we can talk about The Crown! ?
I have only watched the first two series, I must admit. Claire Foy was phenomenal
I don't think that Olivia Colman should have been casted as HM.
I do know that I can't really comment as I haven't seen it yet!
I'll probably watch it in the Autumn...

Anniebach Fri 18-Jun-21 09:32:53

Should not The Crown be discussed under - ‘tv, radio’ ?

Lucca Fri 18-Jun-21 09:45:42

Royal chat …all topics welcome, no ?

FannyCornforth Fri 18-Jun-21 09:49:20

Annie personally I like it when a thread meanders. I think that we have a few regular posters on here, and it's nice just to chat, as you would in real life.
I also think that it's good to have a long running thread - and I imagine that it's longevity is due to its evolving nature.
Any road up; it's under 'Chat' anyway smile

Anniebach Fri 18-Jun-21 09:51:12

Your thread, your decision.

nanna8 Fri 18-Jun-21 09:53:56

Totally agree re Olivia Colman, she just isn’t ‘right’. Not that she is a bad actress but she had a hard act to follow with Claire Foy.

FannyCornforth Fri 18-Jun-21 09:57:59

Yes, she certainly did. I wonder if they approached any other actresses to take on the role?

FannyCornforth Fri 18-Jun-21 10:01:00

Anniebach

lemsip how can you say the speech was spot on ? Charles
Spencer who said of his own wife , she was like a plank, thick
and certainly thin, she had an eating disorder, he said this in a
speech.

Yes, it was his wedding speech.
His first wife - Victoria Lockwood.
It was in reference to 'through thick and thin'.
Spencer said that 'Victoria is thick, and she's certainly thin'.

Sparklefizz Fri 18-Jun-21 10:41:07

The actress in The Crown who played Princess Anne didn't get the voice right at all in my opinion. It's not her natural accent and it sounded very "put on".

Olivia Colman wasn't right to play the Queen imo. She did comment herself that she walked badly and had to learn how to walk in a "ladylike manner".

Blossoming Fri 18-Jun-21 10:55:09

Dryginger

Im Sorry I didnt realise we can only talk about frocks and gardens I thought this was for all topics Royal?

I was joking. I’ll remember not to in future. Thank you for correcting my behaviour.

Dryginger Fri 18-Jun-21 11:07:28

Blossoming. Im sorry it was'nt you I was referring to.

FannyCornforth Fri 18-Jun-21 11:13:11

How did Helena Bonham Carter fare as Margaret?
I admit that I am slightly in love with HBC. ? I think that she looks amazing.

My favourite episode of The Crown was the one with Churchill, and Graham Sutherland painting his portrait.

Dryginger Fri 18-Jun-21 11:17:57

HBC was good but not in it near enough.
Yes she is lovely.
I liked the Harold Wilson episodes. I think the Queen liked him him in real life.

Michael12 Fri 18-Jun-21 12:09:12

Close Encounters with two members of the Family .
In the RAF in 76/77 at High Wycombe , I had the privilege of being selected to form a green carpet line for Prince Philip .
At the back of me kids from the local primary school.
My 2nd encounter came in 2002 , with a visit by Princess Anne who visited my workplace on its 60th anniversary , she had driven there in her range rover and left in it well.
I have seen the Queen and Philip twice also , first tome in early 50`s when they visited Banbury arriving by Royal Train , the 2nd was at my workplace again they were on a visit in 60`s .
By the way workplace wise , it was either side of being in RAF .
Mick

FannyCornforth Fri 18-Jun-21 12:28:29

Hello Mick! Did you speak to Princess Anne?
You've reminded me of my own 'royal encounter', I'll post it later - it's a bit odd.
Has anyone else had any royal encounters?

Dryginger Fri 18-Jun-21 13:01:26

When I was working in a big new lab the Queen and Prince Phillip came to open it. It was a big affair and people where hand picked to meet the Queen. My boss and I were standing away from everyone in our hub which was a big doughnut shaped thing as soon as the Queen came out of the lift Prince Phillip made a bee line over to us and said "I didnt realise there was a bar in here". We were so shocked we couldnt say anything. Then a man run up all worried and said what did he say?we just laughed they must have thought he had said one of his gaffs bless him.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion