Gransnet forums

Chat

Royal Chat - All Welcome! ?

(1001 Posts)
FannyCornforth Tue 01-Jun-21 06:59:50

An Multi-Purpose Thread for All Things Royalty Based.

All are Welcome: Pro; Anti; Monarchist; Republican; a Strange Contradictory Mix; and Don't Knows.

All Topics are up for Discussion:
Both High Brow and Low -Constitutional; Gossip and Innuendo;
Family Members Old and New; Fashion to Infidelities.

You get the idea. ?

God Bless this Ship and All who Sail in Her! ?

monk08 Fri 18-Jun-21 13:15:56

My late father met Prince Philip and had a photo with him at the land rover works he had only been working there a short while.

Whatdayisit Fri 18-Jun-21 17:46:41

Thankyou Fanny Cornforth I am really enjoying the chitchat on this thread.
I watched the whole of The Crown at work with my boss in the lockdown not lockdown in November/December. I have to say i enjoyed every delicious minute! And i don't really understand the criticisms, i thought it showed The RF in not a bad light.
I loved season 1 and 2 with Claire Foy; it seemed more dignified than 3 and 4 - OC - although i did enjoy her portrayal - seemed to bring a comedic side. I loved both the Princess Margarets but HBC was amazing especially in the Roddy Lewellyn episode.
My favourite episodes were the PP one going back to his childhood and then the episode with PP's mother. I wept buckets after both. And the Aberfan Disaster episode was so well done.

As for meeting the Royals.
I remember turning out in 1977 to see the Jubilee Train in the scorching heat only to see closed curtains!
But both my daughters when they were in their teens had visits at work and college from Prince Andrew in his role supporting Yorkshire industry! They both said he was pleasant and chatty. Prince Charles visited my brother serving in Bosnia in 1992 that was the day my mum changed from being anti-royal to thinking PC is marvellous!

Anniebach Fri 18-Jun-21 18:37:01

Whatdayisit I don’t watch The Crown, when I read on this forum that was an episode covering Aberfan I joined Netflix,
watched the episode and cancelled Netflix the same evening.

As i was in Aberfan the day the Queen visited, I lived in Aberfan, the portrayal of her visit was a big fat lie. If they can lie about that heaven knows what other lies are in the series,
but some want to believe it’s all so true

Calendargirl Fri 18-Jun-21 18:48:53

Changing the subject, it’s still Royal, but probably belongs more on the ‘Lilibet’ thread, however….

I am reading ‘The Little Princesses’, written by the governess to the royal children when they were small.

I quote from page 14.

From the time of my arrival, Lilibet came down to me. She had given herself this name when she found ‘“Elizabeth” rather difficult to get round, and it had stuck to her ever since.

Just to settle the issue of who first called the Queen by her nickname.

Ellianne Fri 18-Jun-21 19:31:31

Oh well that's my guess wrong then.

Sparklefizz Fri 18-Jun-21 19:38:41

Anniebach As i was in Aberfan the day the Queen visited, I lived in Aberfan, the portrayal of her visit was a big fat lie. If they can lie about that heaven knows what other lies are in the series, but some want to believe it’s all so true

I'd be interested in knowing the true story, Annie.

Mollygo Fri 18-Jun-21 19:51:25

Anniebachprobably what you saw in Aberfan wouldn’t have made good TV. It would be good to know the difference.

Anniebach Fri 18-Jun-21 20:22:08

I won’t bore you with details but must say in defence of the Queen , the rubbish in The Crown where the queen ! was advised to show emotion, and her speaking of her visit how she
dabbed a dry eye.

I saw The Queen cry, also she sat not stood with a family in their house, she really was upset, she cried looking at the school, well the remains, she cried in the cemetery, I don’t mean tears poured down her face but a miracle they didn’t, her
eyes were brimming with tears.

Never mentioned is The Queen returned to Aberfan 4 more
times, and a group of women ,once called young wives! have been invited to the garden parties several times, and also Charles has invited them to Highgrove several times, private
visits, not garden parties.

Washerwoman Fri 18-Jun-21 20:36:37

That is really interesting Anniebach.
I did watch all The Crown and enjoyed it for the period details,acting and music but got increasingly uncomfortable with the number of inaccuracies. The episodes with Michael Fagin breaking into BP having visited his pompous Tory MP previously- totally inaccurate.The timing of Mark Thatchers disappearence -not just as the Falkland crisis erupted as portrayed just two examples. Now so many people -particularly the younger ones -will take Peter Morgans version of history ,and especially the dynamics and nuances of Royal Family relationship, as gospel.

Whatdayisit Fri 18-Jun-21 21:47:34

Thankyou for enlightening the true picture of that episode of The Crown.
I think there was a footnote at the end of the episode saying QE2 had been back to Aberfan a number of times since.

I enjoyed watching it but i don't believe it is Gospel. I enjoyed the portrayal of the RF on Spitting Image too.

One of the episodes of The Crown almost made me think Mrs T was human so i realised then it was very far fetched.

Whatdayisit Fri 18-Jun-21 21:50:04

I cannot stand Bohemian Rhapsody for it's inaccuracies so i can understand people not liking The Crown. I'm hoping mentioning Queen is ok if not a bit tenuous!

Anniebach Fri 18-Jun-21 22:13:00

Thank you for letting me explain what really happened when she visited, one of the children, now an elderly man, whose home she sat in is really angry about the way she was portrayed.

Mrs T human !

Mollygo Fri 18-Jun-21 22:14:07

Thanks for that Anniebach.

Whatdayisit Fri 18-Jun-21 22:55:39

I am sorry to hear how it's portrayal upset the gentleman and i expect many others.

merlotgran Sat 19-Jun-21 08:17:45

Anyone who thinks Harry and Meghan’s ‘parentals’ might be a rest from their whingeing is going to be disappointed. Omid Scobie managed to get ‘skincolourgate’ back on the front pages on the day Kate launched her Centre for Early Childhood project and now Meghan is going to give another interview!

Give us a break!

Sparklefizz Sat 19-Jun-21 08:47:44

Thanks Anniebach for describing what happened with the Queen in Aberfan.

Ellianne Sat 19-Jun-21 08:48:22

This so called journalist is just a gossip controlled by M & H. You can tell who is holding the reins. I'm beginning to think this is how Meghan wanted to use all their staff at the palace, so no wonder she started to lose them one by one.

Sparklefizz Sat 19-Jun-21 14:29:53

Perhaps Prince H. could take note.

Sparklefizz Sat 19-Jun-21 14:30:21

Grrr. My copy and paste didn't work. Sorry.

Blossoming Sun 20-Jun-21 19:24:45

So much tripe printed in periodicals (I can’t bring myself to call them newspapers). I’ve never watched The Crown, I wonder how the living people portrayed in it feel about it. Do you think the show runners have advisers to tell them about etiquette, etc.?

Blossoming Sun 20-Jun-21 19:26:37

P.S. I’m a longtime Queen fan, soundtrack to much of my youth ? I know ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ wasn’t remotely accurate but I loved it.

Blossoming Sun 20-Jun-21 19:39:25

Did anybody see the article in Harpers Bazaar on Wednesday?

The Queen, Meghan and Harry voted “most respected” royals by young people

tinyurl.com/4cpf8rft

Anniebach Sun 20-Jun-21 19:50:14

Yes I read that Blossoming compassion ! ! ! When did they show compassion, Writing on bananas ?

TerriBull Sun 20-Jun-21 20:20:05

Regarding The Crown, there was an episode where Charles is mentored by the Welsh actor who played Steve Baldini in Keeping Faith, and if I remember rightly in The Crown played a Professor of Welsh and was set the task of imbuing Charles in all things Welsh prior to him becoming the Prince of Wales. It did portray Charles as someone who wanted to immerse himself in Welsh culture. I thought of you Annie, but I think that episode would have been after the Aberfan one, after which you had cancelled your Neflix subscription. How true it was, one can only guess but fairly sympathetic to Charles who was portrayed as someone who wanted to get to grips with the task he had ahead in becoming The Prince of Wales.

Calendargirl Sun 20-Jun-21 22:12:02

merlotgran

Anyone who thinks Harry and Meghan’s ‘parentals’ might be a rest from their whingeing is going to be disappointed. Omid Scobie managed to get ‘skincolourgate’ back on the front pages on the day Kate launched her Centre for Early Childhood project and now Meghan is going to give another interview!

Give us a break!

I really thought that on Trooping The Colour Day, we might see the first photos of baby Lili.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion