Gransnet forums

Chat

Weirdest Schoolday Memories?

(137 Posts)
helgawills Fri 04-Jun-21 13:13:28

In the mid 60s, when I was in my teens, everybody in school was given a nyltest shirt, supplied by a US company. Personally, I hated the thing, got eczema on my arms and tried my best to avoid man made fibres ever since.
The company also supplied enough shirts to go into our annual Christmas boxes to deprived children in a school in East Germany. We normally sent treats like nuts, dried fruit and cocoa, which were supplied, but every child packed a box and added a personal Christmas letter, handwritten.
One of the girls one of my parcels went to, is still in touch.
But not all the boxes went to the intended destination. Some children got thank yous from children in the Soviet Union.
Would love to read some of your weird memories.

dragonfly46 Sat 05-Jun-21 13:34:36

I remember being very little and standing in line with my spoon for malt! Also being told to lie down and sleep at midday - something I found impossible to do.
Also saying the Lord's Prayer every day and wondering when we were going to Temptation!

Witzend Sat 05-Jun-21 14:02:45

No, Kate1949, but a bullock’s, eye, for physics!
Horrible.

When I was maybe 7 and somehow on my own in the school grounds, some random mother came up and gave me a brown paper parcel to give to a younger child in a form below. In a (to me) strange foreign accent she told me that instead of white knickers under the regulation navy, she’d dressed her daughter only in the navy ones (or vice versa, can’t remember now.). So would I pass the other pair with explanation to her form teacher?

Even then I thought it seriously weird! Who on earth wore 2 pairs of knickers to school?? And how embarrassed I’d have been if my mother did any such thing!

Kate1949 Sat 05-Jun-21 14:42:52

Oh yes Witzend You've reminded me that we did eyes as well. Yuk.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 05-Jun-21 15:18:49

I'm not sure this counts as weird but here goes. On our way home from a school home economics class my sister and I were at a zebra crossing and she dropped her pie from her basket. The motorist gestured to it as he didn't want to drive over it. Shamefacedly she went back to retrieve it.

End of year exam I had to make the same pie and I dropped it upside down as I got it out of the oven due to nerves. The pie - lemon meringue pie - I called it bogey pie and have never made it since.

Grammaretto Sat 05-Jun-21 16:19:17

In my case it was a bullock's heart Kate1949 possibly why I became vegetarian. and failed biology o level

I was also put off dressmaking for years because it was such a faff. All those linings and tailor's tacks to make a horrible skirt I never wore.

A humiliating failure was in Latin class when I was told to read out my translation and to insert blanks if I didn't know the vocabulary. I began "Caesar blanked the blank with a blank...." at which point the teacher stopped me and turned to someone who had done their homework.

Kate1949 Sat 05-Jun-21 16:49:41

Oh yes Grammaretto I was useless at needlework. We had to make a peg bag, an apron and then a dress. I was told off for putting the sleeves in upside down grin

fiorentina51 Sat 05-Jun-21 17:43:14

Kate1949
I too was useless at needlework. I was one of three girls who were not entered for the CSE exam at secondary school. The only "needlework failures" the school had ever had up to then.
Funnily enough once I left school, I developed an interest in dressmaking. I'm still not very good at it but I get by.

Chestnut Sat 05-Jun-21 17:44:44

Kate1949

Did anyone else have to dissect frogs in their science lessons? ?

There were some seriously weird things in jars in the Science lab, bottled animals etc. and worst of all actual human foetuses bottled in glass jars. One of them was quite large too. Can you imagine that today? We were horrified and fascinated in equal measure, but found it pretty creepy.
I was good at Biology O Level but when I saw what was in the Science lab and heard we had to dissect frogs I decided not to do A Level. This was 1966.

Kate1949 Sat 05-Jun-21 17:50:39

Until I read a thread such as this, all these things are long forgotten.

Grammaretto Sat 05-Jun-21 19:49:05

Ergh yes the bottled baby - in the cupboard in the science lab.

LadyGracie Sat 05-Jun-21 19:49:14

I loved infants and junior school, I have wonderful memories, so many.

Secondary school was entirely different, I disliked it with a passion from day one. We had an RE teacher called R Taylor, we called it SE because all he talked about was sex. I was 11 and totally innocent.

jaylucy Mon 07-Jun-21 11:16:08

Our whole year travelled to the Peak District to pick up litter for the day after the headmaster had noticed the rubbish while on a walking holiday in the area.
We travelled on 3 coaches for about 3 hours I think , but less than halfway there, the coach that I was on, had the windscreen shattered.
As we were travelling in convoy, all 3 coaches pulled up on the hard shoulder and once the glass was swept up, it was decided that we would carry on - nowadays we would have had to wait for a replacement coach.
It worked in our favour - as when we left school, it was cold, but warmed up quickly so our coach was nice and cool, the coach in front (this was of course pre air con ) travelled with the door open but those in the last coach just had to bake as the driver refused to open more than one roof vent!
Don't remember much about actual litter picking but we finished up in the village of Edale. The only thing open was a tiny village shop that I think we all visited. The old lady charged 50p for us to refill our water bottles as she had no cool drinks in the shop!

Lulu16 Mon 07-Jun-21 11:18:19

Oh yes the pickled tape worm jar in the biology lab!

The needlework teacher used to shout so much that I dreaded the double lessons every week. I never finished my felt soft toy.

That was a shame because I was very creative and probably would have done fashion at college.........

Midwifebi6 Mon 07-Jun-21 11:19:31

My husband went to an all boys school, the games master used to make the boys strip naked and run twice around a sports field before they put their shorts back on and played football.
At the end of the game they had to run around the field naked twice again. I ask my husband what did he think about it he replied “ it was just part of the day like the communal showers”.
Can you imagine the outcry today if they were asked to do that.

NemosMum Mon 07-Jun-21 11:23:58

It only seems weird now, but at my first day at school we were read "Little Black Sambo" by the student teacher, and a boy got 'spanked' for screaming for his mother! We were given slates to write on because "We don't waste exercise books on babies who don't know their alphabet." By the way, this was 1956, not 1926!

travelsafar Mon 07-Jun-21 11:25:24

Being sick on the floor in the school hall during morning assembley when i was about 5 years old and having my first period start during a swimming lesson!!!!!! blush

Foxglove77 Mon 07-Jun-21 11:26:37

In the first year of our comp school we had to embroider our initials onto our PE jumpsuit. I felt sorry for Bridget Oliver wink

Blinko Mon 07-Jun-21 11:29:55

Oh yes, needlework. Did anyone else take seven years to complete the school apron, I wonder? Just me then...

icanhandthemback Mon 07-Jun-21 11:42:11

Having forgotten my PE kit for the umpteenth time (not deliberately, of course wink) the PE teacher sent me to stand outside the Head Mistress's office. She had a fearsome reputation so this was an awful punishment as you waited, desperate for her not to see you. Unfortunately, as I arrived, so did she. When I told her why I was there, she set me an essay to write about the importance of memory. When I handed it in, she gave a chuckle and sent me back to class. I had written about how important memory was but how some people had genuine difficulty through thyroid problems and dementia so we needed to be understanding. I went on to say that my mother had suffered with thyroid problems and I understood it was hereditary!
I didn't 'forget' my PE kit again but I did have a constant monthly and various other excuses!

jenpax Mon 07-Jun-21 11:44:08

I went to an all girls boarding school in my first term of first form (year 7) we were taught deportment walking around balancing a book on our heads, taught to curtsey and how to lay a dinner table! This was late 1970’s not 1870! I did learn useful things too ?

nanna8 Mon 07-Jun-21 11:44:33

In Summer we had to wear straw boaters and I have a memory of my girlfriend using hers like a frisbee across London traffic towards the end of the school year. It smashed to pieces of course but we were sixth formers so she got away with it. Wahay.

Fernhillnana Mon 07-Jun-21 11:44:53

We had Dress Design GCE (I’m pretty sure it doesn’t exist any more) at my girls high school. Our teacher was Mrs Greenhalgh and she wore the most AMAZING clothes. I remember her entering the classroom in a lime green PVC raincoat and disrobing by tearing the Velcro fastening down the front. We had never seen Velcro before and it was so dramatic and exciting. She also had a fabulous checked cape and hat ensemble. So inspiring.

Goggins Mon 07-Jun-21 11:49:39

Witzened, I as a dolly daydream, I’d forget anything. One particular day when I’d got to school I realised I had forgotten to put knickers on. Absolutely horrified. I talked another girl into giving me her second pair of nickers. She always had a cotton pair on and a nylon frilly pair. I was given the frilly pair. I hasten to add I was 5.

GrandmasueUK Mon 07-Jun-21 11:56:00

We did the dissecting of an eye as well, but we were all asked if anyone could get hold of any to use. I lived near an abattoir so I volunteered. When it came down to it I couldn't actually pluck up the courage, so I got my poor mum to go and get them. I ended up with a large coffee jar filled with them, which provided lots of screams on the school bus, as it was passed around grin

harold Mon 07-Jun-21 11:58:35

As a 6th Former I remember hiding in the cellar with two friends instead of going to games sessions. The cellar was large as it was under the stage of the main hall where over 500 pupils and staff would meet for Assembly each morning. On two occasions we had to hide behind panels of stage furniture when teachers suddenly were heard descending to look for something. Sometimes we practised our newly learned quickstep there. The games teacher did finally discover that we were missing but nobody ever new where we had been.