Gransnet forums

AIBU

Being quizzed by chemist's assistant in Boots.

(178 Posts)
Netherbyg84 Wed 17-Apr-24 15:33:12

We are all being encouraged to take advice from a pharmacist if at all possible. When I tried to do this today, however, I didn't expect to be asked about my health problem by a person behind the counter, writing down details such as "and how long have you had this condition" before permission granted for me to speak to a pharmacist, never mind a G.P.
I'm afraid I had to apologise for being rude as I had reached the end of my tether, stress wise.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 17-Apr-24 15:37:27

They were doing what they were trained to do. There is never an excuse for rudeness.

Georgesgran Wed 17-Apr-24 15:44:01

I haven’t used this Service (yet) but if being asked a few questions first is necessary - then so be it.

pascal30 Wed 17-Apr-24 15:44:24

I think you could have asked for a more private place to talk.. it seems unacceptible to be asked personal health questions at a public counter.. most Boots do have interview rooms..

It's a shame it became unpleasant.. for both of you..

Luckygirl3 Wed 17-Apr-24 15:46:51

It is difficult - they are doing what they have been asked to do (in the same way as doctors' receptionists are) - they are gatekeeping. So we go from the doctor being "gatekept" to the pharmacist also being "gatekept". It does sometimes feel as though these professionals are like the princess in the tower and we have to slash our way through the thorn hedge!

The important thing is that these gatekeepers are instructed to behave in ways that do not compromise confidentiality or embarrass the customer/patient in front of the queue at the store or surgery.

I still feel slightly disturbed by the "ask a pharmacist" trend, as proper diagnosis is critical in prescribing - and this requires both medical knowledge and an awareness of the patient's full history. But the move to try and provide "medicine on the cheap" is rolling on unstopped. And there is nothing we can do ......

Boz Wed 17-Apr-24 15:55:22

I feel sorry for Pharmacists being asked to prescribe medication over the counter to the public at large. After a couple of run-ins like the opening post, I now order on-line. Yes, you have to fill in a form but it is better than standing in a shop surrounded by customers. Also, cheaper. If you know precisely what you want, don't bother the poor stressed chemist.

BlueBelle Wed 17-Apr-24 15:58:46

It depends what you want and how you want it
I have had two private consultations in the little consulting room which were really brilliant and saved me a bus journey and probably a few days wait
The next time I simply asked for some information about the continued treatment of a problem The counter lady was very clear she needed to ask a few questions if it was ok which she then took to the pharmacist and came back with his or her answers If I hadn’t been satisfied I would have suggested I needed to speak to them personally but I was happy with his / her answer

RunaroundSue Wed 17-Apr-24 16:01:49

A GP, health assistant or pharmacist should never ask you about your health problems in front of other people. There is a thing called patient confidentiality. I know there is now a new protocol where there are posters on the wall of the surgery telling patients that assistant will have to ask patients about their medical problems so they can be triaged but it dies not give them the right to ask personal questions in front of other people, you should have been taken into a separate room.

BlueBelle Wed 17-Apr-24 16:02:57

Luckygirl. and this requires both medical knowledge and an awareness of the patient's full history
I believe pharmacists are highly trained and if you are seen in their consulting room they have a computer in front of them that they pull up your medical history on the screen so have all that is needed of your history and problems

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 17-Apr-24 16:05:16

The OP hasn’t mentioned other people being within hearing distance.

That is correct BlueBelle.

Netherbyg84 Wed 17-Apr-24 16:19:08

The Germanshepherd poster, I have noticed, gives quite snappy replies.

Has she never been rude to somebody and then apologised?

Dickens Wed 17-Apr-24 16:40:13

I wouldn't object to being asked the necessary 'tick-box' questions by an assistant, but most certainly would object if I had to answer personal questions in front of other customers waiting to be served.

Surely, this isn't what is expected - is it?

Whilst I have great respect for pharmacists - this 'scheme' is a sticking-plaster fix for a broken NHS and it will not solve the fundamental problems which have festered under this current government - though they cannot take all the blame by a long chalk. John Major's PH initiatives - picked up and implemented enthusiastically by Tony Blair has a lot to answer for, as well.

Glorianny Wed 17-Apr-24 16:46:44

The only time I have done this was in Scotland in Boots in Edinburgh. I simply asked to speak to a pharmacist and the girl I was speaking to said "I'm one." I had an eye problem for which she prescribed some drops. The most annoying thing was that I had to pay for them. If I'd had a Scottish GP they would have been free.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 17-Apr-24 16:49:21

I might give snappy replies in your opinion Netherby, but I am always scrupulously polite to people such as a person behind the counter who cannot answer back. They are not there to be spoken to rudely and treated as second class citizens.

Theexwife Wed 17-Apr-24 16:49:50

Without asking the questions it would not be known if a pharmacist appointment was nessersary.

Callistemon21 Wed 17-Apr-24 17:38:33

Netherbyg84

We are all being encouraged to take advice from a pharmacist if at all possible. When I tried to do this today, however, I didn't expect to be asked about my health problem by a person behind the counter, writing down details such as "and how long have you had this condition" before permission granted for me to speak to a pharmacist, never mind a G.P.
I'm afraid I had to apologise for being rude as I had reached the end of my tether, stress wise.

Actually, I am fed up with some of the intrusive questions and rude comments made by some doctors' receptionists.
The more pleasant ones at our surgery seem to have moved on

I stopped going to Boots for prescriptions too after comments about the cost of my medication, other quite upsetting comments by one locum Boots pharmacist and even being asked by one assistant how I was getting on with my medication when we were on a social trip (in front of other people!).

Our local pharmacy assistants are not intrusive and the pharmacists discreet and very good.

Callistemon21 Wed 17-Apr-24 17:43:13

Theexwife

Without asking the questions it would not be known if a pharmacist appointment was nessersary.

Well, asking if you can have a quick word with the pharmacist does not result in the assistant asking intrusive questions in front of other customers here.

It means being shown to a small consulting room and the pharmacist will come to see you to hear your problem.

hollysteers Wed 17-Apr-24 17:48:37

Seeing a pharmacist is like going back in time for me. In the fifties, my mother, who had a hospital/doctor/medical phobia, was a regular at the local chemist. Anything to avoid the doctor.
She eventually died from untreated cancer.

A pharmacist is a fund of knowledge, but a reliance on them could be dangerous.
If the OPs situation happens to me, I will ask to be more private.

DiamondLily Wed 17-Apr-24 17:51:13

Every time I’ve asked my pharmacist for any help, no matter what it’s for, they’ve told me (with my meds list and history), that I need to see a GP.🤷‍♀️

Marydoll Wed 17-Apr-24 18:12:12

DiamondLily

Every time I’ve asked my pharmacist for any help, no matter what it’s for, they’ve told me (with my meds list and history), that I need to see a GP.🤷‍♀️

Same thing happened to me recently, but I have no objection to that. I am so many medications, there is always a risk of contra-indications.

I find that comment quite rude!

Whiff Wed 17-Apr-24 18:37:00

Germanshepherdsmum has always gone out of her way to help people. She is not rude but a valuable asset to Grandsnet .

The OP admitted she was rude to the person asking the questions.

I have used Boots and Independent pharmacies for consultantions and usually taken into a room if I have to show a part of my body. But otherwise just answered their questions at the counter. Even for vaginal itching I don't get embarrassed and there where other people by me.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 17-Apr-24 18:42:26

Thank you Whiff. Your contributions are extremely valuable, much more so than mine

maddyone Wed 17-Apr-24 18:46:33

I agree with every word in Luckgirl’s
post. Pharmacists are indeed highly trained but they are not doctors. They are not trained to diagnose and unless you go to the same chemist every time, they do not know your history or which medication you take. This is a slippery road. Exactly the same as the use of Physician Associates.

Tizliz Wed 17-Apr-24 19:07:43

we are extremely lucky with our doctor's surgery. Typical conversation last week:

Me: B** I need some more painkillers do I need to speak to Dr J** (all first names)
B**: Don't worry Liz, I will do that for you

Prescription was at pharmacy next day

Dickens Wed 17-Apr-24 19:42:57

Marydoll

DiamondLily

Same thing happened to me recently, but I have no objection to that. I am so many medications, there is always a risk of contra-indications.

Similarly - "you need to have a chat with your doctor". Yes, I think pharmacists are going to play safe rather than sorry.

A few years ago, a hospital pharmacist checking my drug collection noticed something about my condition that made her question one of the medications prescribed by the consultant. He concurred with her and changed the drug. Which was quite impressive as my condition at the time was complex and unusual, but the pharmacist had the extensive knowledge sufficient to make the query. I have faith in them.

I thought it was rude also.