Gransnet forums

Chat

Comparing the supermarkets

(105 Posts)
NanKate Tue 08-Jun-21 16:28:14

I live in a smallish town but because it is on the Thames we get many shops, cafes and restaurants that we wouldn’t normally get for this population.

We have an M and S Food store, a large Sainsburys and a medium size Sainsbury’s. Our Waitrose closed about 18 months ago I don’t know why because it was always full of customers.

I have just read that in Waitrose’s place we are getting a Lidl. I gave never been in a Lidl. What is it like and what can I expect?

Callistemon Sat 12-Jun-21 22:42:06

SueDonim

I’ve now got visions of you running up curtains for your tent whilst in your tent, Alegrias! ? Maybe with the machine powered by a wind turbine on top of the tent.

You know, I could in fact have had a use for a pneumatic drill. My neighbours are having their driveway dug up (no idea why, as it looks fine, plus they’ve gone away on holiday confused). I know the company they’re using is £££. I could have offered to do it as a homer for £50. grin

You could have come and helped our neighbour, SueDonim.
She's been hacking up concrete for years, seeming with a tiny hammer and minute chisel.

Callistemon Sat 12-Jun-21 22:39:28

The Aisle Of Weirdness is fab! I still regret my Dh stopping me from buying a pneumatic drill. I cannot think what I would use one for but to just be able to say I possess a pneumatic drill would be fab. grin

DH wants to know why I'm choking with laughter and have tears streaming down my face, SueDonim

Callistemon Sat 12-Jun-21 22:35:37

going not forgoing

Callistemon Sat 12-Jun-21 22:35:13

NanKate

What is this middle aisle I have heard some much about ?

Oh, it's wonderful, but it does mean that you don't save by forgoing to Lidl!

My bread board and chopping boards came from Lidl, inexpensive but excellent quality.
The middle aisle is really exciting.

Greek Week is wonderful - Olive oils, Cretan honey, baklava etc

Callistemon Sat 12-Jun-21 22:32:12

When we were going out to do our own shopping we would go to Lidl then to Waitrose.

Lidl doesn't have a café

mrswoo Sat 12-Jun-21 22:31:39

On balance I prefer Aldi to Lidl - although the Lidl bakery is outstanding I have to avoid it as I’m meant to be dieting. You can’t beat Aldi for fresh flowers they are so reasonably priced and last for ages and I think their Aisle of Dreams is far better than the one at Lidl.
However, both stores are definitely worth investigating and offer a real alternative to other supermarkets.

Mollygo Sat 12-Jun-21 22:18:25

Smurf44 I agree about the dishwasher tablets. I find Fourmil works fine in the washing machine too.

Smurf44 Sat 12-Jun-21 22:05:00

I forgot to say that the Lidl W5 Dishwasher tablets are the best ever. They are on offer next weekend (18th - 20th June) at £1.99 for 40 (yes, four oh!) tablets which makes them only 5p each. They are normally £2.99 so still a bargain buy!
They come in Lemon or Original and you just pop them in your DW without having to remove the wrapper. My dishes and cutlery are always lovely and shiny. You will be impressed, but only if you have a DW! ?

Smurf44 Sat 12-Jun-21 21:51:16

My 17yr old GD says the Lidl Angel Delight Butterscotch version is indistinguishable from the real thing and a lot cheaper. High praise indeed. We buy virtually all our meat there - chicken, pork, mince etc and their sausages are unbeatable with 95% real meat. We haven’t found another supermarket sausage with such a high percentage of meat. Most hover around the 50% mark! I wouldn’t dream of buying my (own brand I think) Muesli and non-weetabix anywhere else.
Definitely go and explore your new Lidl and make sure you join their Lidl Plus App for an extra 20% or 15% of 4 certain (different) items each week. Have fun.

NanKate Fri 11-Jun-21 20:09:11

Thank you JJ ?

Pittcity Fri 11-Jun-21 19:18:17

Some potatoes I bought today with code highlighted.
Week 23 day 2.

Charleygirl5 Fri 11-Jun-21 13:21:30

I have a Lidl less than 2 miles away and some of the meat is excellent and so much cheaper. Cleaning stuff is pennies rather than pounds but that branch is chaotically run and one can queue for 20 minutes to pay.

Yesterday I went to the one recently opened at my local town centre and it is opposite the bus stop. I think they cater for a different clientele eg office workers because there were more salads and sandwiches than cleaning material.

It is pay at a machine only branch and the queue was horrendous. I am partially sighted, explained this to a supervisor, he opened an ordinary till, asked a young worker to help me and I was out of the door within seconds. It is exceptionally well run and a very small branch.

For heavy goods, I shop online at Morrisons. I have a Waitrose half a mile away and it is good if I want "something different". I am rather fond of the marmalade with whisky which they sell!

A small Sainsburys closed last year and Aldi is putting the finishing touches on it so that will be another trip soon. I will shop anywhere I fancy- I am spoilt for choice while I can still drive.

FindingNemo15 Fri 11-Jun-21 11:38:50

I will be looking at the codes on the fruit and veg now. Pittcity I do not strictly go by the sell by dates usually, but like to buy the latest dates if I can.

Jaxjacky Fri 11-Jun-21 10:40:21

NanKate the middle isle is a random selection of various clothing/household/garden ‘stuff’ always worth a good look, very reasonable prices.

Mollygo Fri 11-Jun-21 09:33:29

Pittcity thanks for that! It will be fun to watch people in Lidl looking more closely at the fruit and veg this morning.

Pittcity Fri 11-Jun-21 09:24:08

The fresh produce is dated but not in a way we recognise.
The codes are put on to let the shop staff know when an item was sent from the warehouse. A lot is fine to use well past the usual sell by date and this means less waste.

Look for a 4 digit number. For example 0347 means that it was sent out on the 3rd day of the 47th week.
Simply look for the stuff that was put out most recently.

FindingNemo15 Fri 11-Jun-21 08:01:38

I started using Lidl at the beginning of lockdown as the queues were shorter. I could not do my main shop there as they do not stock everything I need. Their prices overall are good, as is their bread, but the fruit and veg is poor - it is not dated and does not last very long.

NotAGran55 Fri 11-Jun-21 07:37:13

I’ve never been in a Lidl shop but do occasionally buy cleaning products , foil etc in Aldi . All my other shopping in Waitrose.
A new Lidl opened recently on a local retail park , I might go and have a mooch next week ? .

NanKate Fri 11-Jun-21 07:19:23

What is this middle aisle I have heard some much about ?

happycatholicwife1 Thu 10-Jun-21 23:13:22

Ahahaha!!! This thread is a treasure.

Cosmo14 Thu 10-Jun-21 22:36:58

Lidl for the bakery, my guilty pleasure and their forest honey ,oh salt and black pepper savoury biscuits, bami goreng

Amberone Thu 10-Jun-21 14:58:05

Feeling left out. Our Lidl centre aisle must be the poor relation to others. I wander in now and again to have a look and have yet to find anything of interest. There has never been much electrical stuff, apart from a series of coffee machines and kettles, although I do remember a couple of sanders at one time. Lots of it seems to be plastic children's toys. Never seen a rug of any description. Lots of mens thermals last time. And sweatshirts. Maybe we get all the stuff that doesn't sell elsewhere.

Kamiso Thu 10-Jun-21 11:21:18

Rosalyn69

I like Lidl and Aldi. Not for all my shopping but I enjoy a troll round to pick up extras. Lovely pastries in Lidl.

Portuguese tarts especially! OH often gets fresh baked croissants or pain au chocolate on Sundays for our breakfast. Dunked in our Tesco filtered ground coffee! Best of both worlds!

Kamiso Thu 10-Jun-21 11:18:13

Quite a few Lidl customers just seem to buy wine and/or beer by the trolley full. There cheese flans and charcuterie are far better than most. Aldi’s are much the same but further away.

Rosalyn69 Thu 10-Jun-21 11:16:58

I like Lidl and Aldi. Not for all my shopping but I enjoy a troll round to pick up extras. Lovely pastries in Lidl.