Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you think first names can reflect your personality?

(133 Posts)
nanna8 Wed 09-Jun-21 07:55:08

Sometimes that seems to be the case. Susans always seem to be sensible and reliable, for example. Pauls seem to be meticulous and thoughtful. A load of old rubbish probably but maybe not?

Lucca Wed 09-Jun-21 10:10:22

Sorry last post is pointless!!

Granny23 Wed 09-Jun-21 10:32:08

I think it is the diminutives that reflect the personality. Take Robert for example. Bert = a big burly chap; Rab = a tough one; Bobby or Bertie is a bit soft, a mammies boy, whereas Bob is a fun guy.

Take Margaret. Some remain as Margaret, but most grow up to be Maggie, Mags, Rita, Meg, to suit their personality. The same can be said of the thousands of Elizabeths - Liz, Lizzy, Lisa/Liza, Beth, now Lilibet!

My father never called me by my given name. As I was small he always called me Toots and on formal occasions referred to me as Daughter No2!

JaneJudge Wed 09-Jun-21 10:34:41

My Mum had a short list of two names for me and she said when I was born neither suited me so I remained nameless for a while until she found one that matched grin

Doodledog Wed 09-Jun-21 10:38:37

ginny

No way can a name reflect your personality. A name is usually given at birth and probably chosen before that. How would anyone know how that person will develop ?

I think that because the name is given at birth it reflects the attitudes and aspirations of the parents, which will affect how the child develops.

Someone calling their child Persephone is likely to bring her up differently from someone calling her Ellie-Mae or Chardonnay (with apologies to anyone with children of those names - of course there will be honourable exceptions ?)

EkwaNimitee Wed 09-Jun-21 11:02:29

I have never liked my first name. I'm not going to reveal it here. Suffice to say it's of its generation, I have never met anyone under forty or so with it. It would seem to suit someone boring and staid and I hope I'm not! I can't use my second name because I really loath that...it's Annette which I consider a pink, frilly sort of name (sorry, any Annettes) and I am/was a bit of a tomboy. It was confected from both my grandmothers' names, one being Anne and the other, Henrietta.
Really, I don't see how they can reflect personality because you are given it at birth, unless your personality develops to match? Surely not. I rather agree with Doodledog.

s

BlueSky Wed 09-Jun-21 11:06:12

I agree with FarNorth. It affects the way people perceive you. My unusual, slightly foreign sounding name was popular with the boys when I was a teenager! wink

Grandmajean Wed 09-Jun-21 11:09:18

My first name is very ordinary and I have no problem with it but I have a middle name which was my granny's maiden surname ( very common in Scotland to do this ) It is unbelievably awful and I have always been embarrassed by it. My long dead aunt was very miffed that I didn't like it.

Grandmajean Wed 09-Jun-21 11:11:47

Should have added that I do think it affected me as I cringed every time "full" names were read out in school !

Chestnut Wed 09-Jun-21 11:12:29

In Numerology your full birth name is your Destiny Number. Each letter of your name has a number and by adding them together you reach the Destiny Number. Then each number has a meaning. It may sound weird but having worked out my family's Destiny Numbers it is amazingly accurate!

Quote: A number derived from all of the letters in your FULL BIRTH NAME make up what is called the Destiny number. Destiny is a very descriptive word for the meaning of the this important core element. This is the number that describes the tasks that you must achieve in this lifetime using the name that was given to you by your parents. This name, the complete birth name, symbolizes the opportunities you have at your disposal. This is sometimes referred to as your potential or destiny. Living up to attributes of this number may not be easy, but it is your goal in the here and now. It is your life's purpose, spiritual mission, and your field of opportunity. Unlike the Life Path number which reads as you are, the Destiny number more correctly reads as you MUST or what you can aspire to become.

Jaxjacky Wed 09-Jun-21 11:17:31

No one I know uses my full name, it is on formal records. At the vaccine centre I didn’t respond when called until the third time!

Artaylar Wed 09-Jun-21 11:50:25

Chestnut

One stands out for me. Dennis is always the naughty cheeky boy, as per Dennis the Menace, Dennis Waterman, Dennis Quaid, Dennis Hopper and also Dennis Wilson the Beach Boy.

My lovely Dad was a Dennis and a very naughty cheeky boy he was, through and through

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 09-Jun-21 11:53:14

I have an uncommon name, that no one can spell even after me telling them verrry slooooowly.
So I’ve used an abbreviation since I was at Secondary school.

I wanted to be named Helen.

Severnsider Wed 09-Jun-21 11:57:32

Names reflect your age more than anything... Jean, Susan, Pam, Mary, Maureen ..... I bet we're all the same age!

Nannagarra Wed 09-Jun-21 12:00:30

Apologies to anyone with the names I listed previously.
I’m interested in your thoughts on the name Rob, Granny23.

JenniferEccles Wed 09-Jun-21 12:30:22

This is a very interesting discussion especially the contributions from retired teachers.

A retired teacher friend of mine said exactly the same thing about how she and her colleagues in her primary school would find their hearts sinking when they learned they had an intake of children with some of the names already mentioned.

I also remember her saying that their expectations of children called, say Jayden or Chardonnay would be significantly lower than Alicia and Hugo.
She said they were all aware that, strictly speaking it was wrong but experience over the years had confirmed their initial assessment.

I wouldn’t imagine it happened much when we were young as most of us shared a relatively limited selection of names, unlike today with any number of celebrity inspired horrors!

Jeanief Thu 10-Jun-21 11:27:27

Grandmajean - I had exactly the same situation with the middle name. I even heard some tittering from the guests when my name was read out during my marriage ceremony!

Loulou54 Thu 10-Jun-21 11:31:01

My brother and husband are Paul’s and are meticulous in some ways and totally chaotic in others! ?‍♀️?

Chewbacca Thu 10-Jun-21 11:34:59

Every Jennifer I've ever known has been a troublemaker.

Aepgirl Thu 10-Jun-21 11:36:09

I know 3 Pauls who are very unpleasant people. I find Susans authoritative and argumentative, and Margarets very negative. So I’ve upset Pauls, Susans and Margarets all in one post. Perhaps it’s my name that’s the problem.

Quizzer Thu 10-Jun-21 11:36:27

I have an almost unique name. it is a real name, but never used in the UK where the male version has become unisex. I have enjoyed being unusual but I think the name reflects more my mother’s personality than mine. After all it was her choice!

grandtanteJE65 Thu 10-Jun-21 11:40:36

I have never believed that names reflect personalities. so I tried very hard to like all the little Brians and Kevins who came into my classroom, accompanied by Julies, Julias, Annes, and Annies, but it was uphill work.

In fairness to the children, they didn't choose their names, their parents did that, and allowed their little ones to be cheeky and disobedient.

Harmonypuss Thu 10-Jun-21 11:45:41

I'm a Sue so obviously I stand by what the OP said about me being sensible and reliable ?
Although always being sensible is boring so if day maybe 70% of the time I'm sensible and can be silly the rest ?

Nannashirlz Thu 10-Jun-21 11:46:14

No I don’t but I do think everyone doesn’t like their own name. My dad wanted Shirley after shirley temple my dad thought she was cute. My mum wanted Andrea guess who won ?.

nananet01 Thu 10-Jun-21 11:53:43

My christian name has changed twice since birth in the way it is spelled and my name now is the same but spelled and pronounced differently. There's a riddle for you! I think your name hugely reflects who you are and U think it can change with you as you move through different chapters of your life. I could not use my birth name now, its not who I am.

nananet01 Thu 10-Jun-21 11:56:29

Not U, I