Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you think first names can reflect your personality?

(132 Posts)
nanna8 Wed 09-Jun-21 07:55:08

Sometimes that seems to be the case. Susans always seem to be sensible and reliable, for example. Pauls seem to be meticulous and thoughtful. A load of old rubbish probably but maybe not?

Galaxy Wed 09-Jun-21 07:56:32

Crikey the Paul I knew was absolutely chaotic. Lovely but certainly not thoughtful. grin

Marydoll Wed 09-Jun-21 08:01:13

I'm Mary, which I think has connotations of being plain, sensible and boring.
I sincerely hope I'm the opposite!!!! ?

nanna8 Wed 09-Jun-21 08:02:05

?

FarNorth Wed 09-Jun-21 08:03:03

No, I don't. But it might influence how others perceive you.

MawBe Wed 09-Jun-21 08:14:15

Barbaras are competent and practical - (I’m not one!)
Elizabeths are reliable, Lizes are more dashing and dynamic and Libbys trendier.
Freds, Bills and Roberts likewise- invaluable in a house or garden crisis.

LullyDully Wed 09-Jun-21 08:24:26

Maybe the opinions reflect who you have known.

This is the problem with being a teacher naming a baby. So many memories of a range of children. I taught a few Garys and would never have chosen that name.

My own name will always be linked to a certain prime minister I fear.

ginny Wed 09-Jun-21 08:33:42

No way can a name reflect your personality. A name is usually given at birth and probably chosen before that. How would anyone know how that person will develop ?

nanna8 Wed 09-Jun-21 08:37:01

I’m Jane. Not sure what that would be... very old name same as my Grandma.

nanna8 Wed 09-Jun-21 08:40:34

I knew a Ben,when I was young,who had a problem with wind so it tended to colour my picture of Bens which is really daft.

Blinko Wed 09-Jun-21 08:42:21

I have fairly uncommon first name (so I won't say it here) and I've always disliked it. I wanted to be called Rosemary...

Marydoll Wed 09-Jun-21 08:46:41

As a teacher, some names on a register used to make my heart sink!

MawBe Wed 09-Jun-21 08:49:25

LullyDully

This is the problem with being a teacher naming a baby. So many memories of a range of children. I taught a few Garys and would never have chosen that name.

Winston? ??

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 09-Jun-21 08:50:00

My sister is called Rosemary and she hates it.
I was named after my paternal grandma and the name apparently means 'noble' - I'm not sure where that leaves little old me.

I know three Davids who are all completely different.

nanna8 Wed 09-Jun-21 08:53:02

Alice? Lovely name. Shrewd and sensible

BlueSapphire Wed 09-Jun-21 08:53:54

Me too Marydoll, especially of the Wayne, Dwayne, Darren variety! I'm sure there are lovely people about with those names, but none that ever came into my classroom.

Marydoll Wed 09-Jun-21 09:22:23

BlueSapphire

Me too Marydoll, especially of the Wayne, Dwayne, Darren variety! I'm sure there are lovely people about with those names, but none that ever came into my classroom.

Bluesapphire I agree and please add Jude and especially Dylan to the list.
I'm sure there are lots of lovely children with those names, but they never cossed the threshold of my classroom!

Nannagarra Wed 09-Jun-21 09:30:30

Marydoll

BlueSapphire

Bluesapphire I agree and please add Jude and especially Dylan to the list.
I'm sure there are lots of lovely children with those names, but they never cossed the threshold of my classroom!

Oh, yes. Dylan, Gary, Damian and latterly Jordan (males and females - always had to wait and see). Unusual girls’ first names and double-barrelled surnames were other signals!

Nannagarra Wed 09-Jun-21 09:32:34

Jodie too.

Chestnut Wed 09-Jun-21 09:44:15

One stands out for me. Dennis is always the naughty cheeky boy, as per Dennis the Menace, Dennis Waterman, Dennis Quaid, Dennis Hopper and also Dennis Wilson the Beach Boy.

Grandma70s Wed 09-Jun-21 09:52:30

The uncomfortable truth is that many English names are class-related. Not many working-class Ruperts, not many upper class Waynes.

Lucca Wed 09-Jun-21 10:05:59

Marydoll

I'm Mary, which I think has connotations of being plain, sensible and boring.
I sincerely hope I'm the opposite!!!! ?

Not at all. I know a young Mary very talented musician. I also an old Mary who is very amusing. And you don’t sound at all boring by the way !

Lucca Wed 09-Jun-21 10:07:26

LullyDully

Ted ? Harold ? Or was it T or M ?

Lucca Wed 09-Jun-21 10:08:42

I think I suit the shortened version of my name better.

MawBe Wed 09-Jun-21 10:09:31

nanna8

Alice? Lovely name. Shrewd and sensible

Unless her surname is Archer!