Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you think first names can reflect your personality?

(133 Posts)
nanna8 Wed 09-Jun-21 07:55:08

Sometimes that seems to be the case. Susans always seem to be sensible and reliable, for example. Pauls seem to be meticulous and thoughtful. A load of old rubbish probably but maybe not?

Lucca Thu 10-Jun-21 14:00:57

I remember the awful Katie Hopkins on some tv programme saying she wouldn’t want her children playing with kids with certain names plus how dreadful kids named after places was e.g Brooklyn, Paris etc.
Philip Schofield then said “what is your daughters name again ?”
“India”. ??

adaunas Thu 10-Jun-21 14:03:30

Riverwalk, it’s usually only an initial thought when children come into Reception or transfer to KS3. In other year groups, you have some warning. A child who has been difficult (I’m not talking SEND) in one class may well be the same in subsequent classes. A few like that spring to mind. On the other hand, they may have matured and changed.
My heart may sink when I see the name, but I wait to see what happens once they start in my class.
It’s a bit like the instant reaction/judgement people have when seeing strange hair or fashion statements of people you meet, that change (or don’t) when you get to know them.

Kim19 Thu 10-Jun-21 14:04:04

I changed my name when I was about 30. Nowadays only a few people (cousins) use the original whereas friends since then have no idea that there had been a previous. All fine with me and no complications whatsoever.

polly123 Thu 10-Jun-21 14:10:08

Marydoll
Unfortunately, the class system is alive and well when it comes to naming children. The Waynes, Darrens, Garys, Sharons, Tracys and Charmaines are the parents and grandparents of the Tylers, Kyles, Rileys, Jaydens, Jensons, Willows, Kayleighs, Kylies, Chelseas and Chardonnays of more recent years as any long-serving teacher would know. Are there any well-behaved Rileys or Tylers out there?
So so true!

idamaryrose Thu 10-Jun-21 14:27:37

I know this is meant to be light-hearted and I should get over myself but so much snobbery especially in the last post.

Musicgirl Thu 10-Jun-21 14:28:52

Doodledog, there are good and bad parents across the social strata. I'm afraid that I am yet to meet a well-behaved Riley or Tyler, although l am sure they exist somewhere, hence my comment.

Doodledog Thu 10-Jun-21 14:33:38

Musicgirl

Doodledog, there are good and bad parents across the social strata. I'm afraid that I am yet to meet a well-behaved Riley or Tyler, although l am sure they exist somewhere, hence my comment.

It didn't seem (to me, at least) that you were referring to parents or children across the social strata, though, as all the examples you give are of those at the 'bottom'. You then conflate their social standing with their children's behaviour, hence my own comment.

Sago Thu 10-Jun-21 14:40:14

Perhaps names are a self fulfilling prophecy, we named our children good solid British names, our grandchildren are mixed race and have exotic but classic names.

Musicgirl Thu 10-Jun-21 14:48:23

I also feel the same way about pretentious names like Tarquin, Candida (I've never understood why you would give your daughter the same name as a yeast infection), Horatio, Persephone, Septimus etc. Some of these children can be the worst behaved and have ineffectual parents. My own name is fine but not uncommon and very much of its generation. Our own children were given names that, hopefully, won't date too much (although they probably will; such is the nature of things) and that would not determine their background.

Neilspurgeon0 Thu 10-Jun-21 14:51:51

I only know two Paul’s and they are both terrible human beings

Forestflame Thu 10-Jun-21 14:56:07

Idamaryrose. I couldn't agree more.

Doodledog Thu 10-Jun-21 14:57:12

We deliberately gave ours names that can be shortened, so that they could decide which version they wanted to use, and we gave them both middle names too, to increase their choices.

They both use the shortened versions we used when they were children, but in the event that their lives take a more formal turn they have the full names (or their middle names) to fall back on.

Kim19 Thu 10-Jun-21 15:01:15

Initially thought of giving children middle names in case they didn't like our first choice. Common sense won the day when we reaslised they might not like the middle one either so we abstained. Thankfully they're both hugely happy with our first choices for both of them. Some y' win.

f77ms Thu 10-Jun-21 15:12:26

I am Fay and when i was at school there wasn't any other Fays. I also had a very unusual second name, Irish in origin. I have always been very quiet and was painfully shy, quite an introvert too. I do think now that my name suits my character.

Grandma70s Thu 10-Jun-21 15:17:12

Musicgirl

I also feel the same way about pretentious names like Tarquin, Candida (I've never understood why you would give your daughter the same name as a yeast infection), Horatio, Persephone, Septimus etc. Some of these children can be the worst behaved and have ineffectual parents. My own name is fine but not uncommon and very much of its generation. Our own children were given names that, hopefully, won't date too much (although they probably will; such is the nature of things) and that would not determine their background.

Why are they pretentious? How can you tell? The parents may just like the names - and no, I don’t have a child with those names.

I think Candida became popular before anyone outside the medical profession knew it was an infection.

Foxglove77 Thu 10-Jun-21 15:20:42

I've never liked my double first name which is hyphenated. I always felt it was too posh for me, so I shortened it, a lot! If I could have chosen a name it would be Penny.

Dryginger Thu 10-Jun-21 15:21:17

Annaram1 thats my name but I get called Nets,Netty,Nettle and Ann.
My friend from Derby said The Netty is a slang name for toilet there and brought me a sign with Netty on it toput on my bathroom door I had to laugh.?

Sara1954 Thu 10-Jun-21 15:21:44

I like my name well enough, but hate my middle name. If I had my son again today, I would choose exactly the same name, but wish I’d gone with my first choice for my older daughter instead of listening to my mother who said it was a horrible name, incidentally, I have a niece with the same name, I bet she didn’t tell my sister in law it was a horrible name.
My youngest daughters name has always been shortened, she didn’t even know it was her name till she started school.
I really like all my grandchildren’s names, though I’m surprised to see one appearing on the ‘naughty boy’ list.
I think names are important, and naming a child is a big responsibility.

NanKate Thu 10-Jun-21 15:25:44

I see my name Kate relating to Kate in ‘Taming of the Shrew’ except I haven’t been tamed ?.

My name is actually Kathleen which I dislike, I imagine myself picking spuds in Ireland and not answering back. Apologies to any Kathleens.

I use my middle name Helen at times, which I relate to Helen of Troy.

I’ve gone all theatrical and unnecessary ?

Grandma70s Thu 10-Jun-21 15:28:12

Does anyone think about the meanings of names? My parents did, and disliked several names because of their meaning, At my interview for my English degree course, the Professor of English Language asked me if I knew what my names meant. Luckily, thanks to my parents, I did

Naninka Thu 10-Jun-21 15:49:03

I'm Abby. I absolutely love my name... it's sassy and cheeky, yet friendly and reliable. I can't imagine being anything else!

Maywalk Thu 10-Jun-21 15:49:20

Do some parents realise what embarrassment their offsprings name can be if not thought about sensibly when naming their child.
I refer to such as these in this poem I wrote of folks that I have met and worked with during my 91 years on this earth. There are many more that can be added to these.

NAME THIS CHILD

During all my years on earth I have heard many a peculiar name
Did parents think that this would help bring their offspring fame?
I have lived next door to a Dickie Bird and a Dusty Miller too
And I used to know an Ida Downe believe me this is true

There was an Ivor Lott a Will Power and a Robin Hood
Also Rusty Locke and Blackie Smith and a girl named Bebe Goode
I have worked with Eva Stone and Lydia Potts and an Eileen Back
All of them have had to live with such a great amount of flak.

There was another girl I worked with whose name was May Trump
You can well imagine how she felt and why she often had the hump.
One name imprinted on my mind from many years gone by
Was of a girl starting work and I swear that this is no lie,

Of all the names that I had heard this was the unkindest of all
When the boss asked her for her name she answered Ophelia Ball.
The look of horror on his face was a picture to behold
It left a vivid memory in my mind that I have often told.

So Mums and Dads pick a name to do your children proud
And when asked what it is they will shout it clear and loud.

Copyright © - Maisie Walker 2000 - All rights reserved

hamster58 Thu 10-Jun-21 16:11:31

To a certain extent, I agree, but more that all the people I know with a certain first name have a specific personality trait that sums them up

Treetops05 Thu 10-Jun-21 16:13:55

Ouch, I can't help my surname...I married it...

Naninka Thu 10-Jun-21 16:15:34

My granddaughter is called Alice and has the same surname as Alice in The V of Dibley.
Thus far, she looks as though she's going to grow into a young lady who will get the joke.
Thank God! ...oops sorry, Vicar.