Gransnet forums

Chat

Lazy days

(53 Posts)
Dryginger Thu 10-Jun-21 14:58:39

Does anybody have days when they really dont want to do anything?
I retired in Jan but my DH is 8 years younger than me and still works.
I get up at 4am and get ready for him to go to work, i have always been an early riser I tidy the house do washing and shopping and he cooks when he gets in. He loves cooking and says he helps him unwind.
Im really happy not working but some days I dont do a thing and cant be bothered then I feel guilty. Its this just me ?

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Tue 15-Jun-21 00:29:14

My stbxh retired 4 years ago and didn't show an ounce of guilt when he got up late did feck all then went to the pub whilst I was still working. Soon learned that if he didn't cook tea he didn't eat and I stopped doing housework etc so it didn't get done as he never did any. Stbxh for a reason and now I live alone in my own home and can please myself. I do work but was furlough Ed for most of last year and enjoyed being "lazy" and can't wait to retire and be "lazy" again.

Coolgran65 Tue 15-Jun-21 01:25:55

Oh my goodness I have been feeling so guilty. Retired 10 years and gradually doing less. The house is still clean and tidy but I’ve cut out the unnecessaries.
When I worked full time I also did much more housework often not getting sat down until 9.30pm. Now I do much less I wonder what I previously found to do. Nowadays I find that careful handling during laundry can cut out almost all ironing of clothing. No more ironing of sheets and duvet covers though I do iron pillow cases.
Vacuum about once a week and a quick mop. Toilets as needed and sinks wiped and a quick polish with the towel after use.
Oven professionally cleaned once a year.
As someone mentioned earlier… plumping the cushions can make it look like you’ve done a day’s work.

I can quite happily pot-potter in the garden. No heavy labouring.
It’s all a pleasure with a bit of dead heading and encouraging the sprouts which are already about 12” tall.
I had been feeling I was heading down the slippery slope towards idleness but I’m not actually idle ….. I manage to read about 3 books each week. ?