Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning, Friday on behalf of Mick/Mawbe

(72 Posts)
Ashcombe Fri 11-Jun-21 06:37:47

Good morning to one and all from a rather humid Torbay with a temperature of 16 degrees already but no sun. ?

From tomorrow, I’m spending a couple of nights at my holiday home near Okehampton with my bubble mate whose cat had to be PTS on Wednesday. Poor girl had spent over £1k on vet fees, trying to help the poor little moggy?‍⬛. We are hoping the sunny forecast is proved accurate. I had planned to be away for longer but she only wants two nights away from home, which is understandable. This will require a visit to Lidl this morning so that I’m prepared for company!

Every good wish to those in pain and happy weekend to you all! ?☀️?

Mapleleaf Fri 11-Jun-21 15:39:18

Sorry Grammaretto, I've just seen your post saying that you have contacted British Gas - I admit I skim read some posts so missed your update. Hope you didn't have to wait long before they came out and that they've sorted everything out for you. ?

Mapleleaf Fri 11-Jun-21 15:28:42

I'll try again as the iPad was playing up this morning.

Hope the day is going well for you all. It's quite breezy here this afternoon, but the sun keeps trying to break through. At least the slightly cooler morning enabled me to finish the ironing and clean the windows (which is not my favourite job).

Grammaretto I agree with other posters who say you should contact British Gas regarding the possible gas leak - there shouldn't be any smell of gas, and if ignored could result in a serious incident, so I do hope you have contacted them.

Just sitting down with a coffee now and a look at escape to the country to see how "small" the properties shown are today ?.

Janiepops Fri 11-Jun-21 13:58:49

Harrigran, forgive my impertinence in your exceptionally difficult days, but have you contacted Macmillan nursing organisation? The adverts on television seem to suggest they could be a massive help/support for you……
My thoughts are with you every day, for some peace, for you both.

dragonfly46 Fri 11-Jun-21 13:06:56

Your preps for going out GrandmaFrench are very like ours but you have a much more eloquent way of relating it. So funny!

Nannagarra Fri 11-Jun-21 11:56:18

Just sneaking in under the barrier.
Enjoy your weekend away Marydoll.
Would love to see pix Alizarin.
Glad there is an improvement for your DH harrigran. Like others, I feel you should be receiving help in person.
Thinking of Auntieflo, Cherry and grandmajet.

gillgran Fri 11-Jun-21 11:29:28

Good Morning to you all from another very warm day, although there is a welcome breeze , here in Cambs.,

Enjoy your trips away, Ashcombe & Marydoll.

Good advice from Jaxjacky & Maw, for Grammaretto's possible gas leak.
Shows what caring, thoughtful folk are here.

Also, good advice (from Marydoll, I think) about giving an e-mail address, (to someone you feel comfortable with), in case there are problems on here (ref; as with Mick, EV ).

Caring thoughts for Auntieflo, Cherry, Harrigran*, & all with extra worries. flowers

Grandmafrench Fri 11-Jun-21 11:25:53

Well done, blossoming you simply can’t have a great hairstyle and shabby knickers!

Urms better exit today...and we’ve even remembered the trailer....

I too love your determination and how you’re turning your life around, Blue. Glasses must be raised for you. x

My Vet would always tell you, you really can’t eat something you’ve named, Grandmajean. Very bad Granny.

How horrible, Georgesgran, poor you - take care of that tum. x

dustyangel Fri 11-Jun-21 11:18:33

Good morning all from a hot ? Portugal. I’ve come back to bed this morning after feeling exhausted for a couple of days. It’s probably only the temperatures of 35 degrees plus over the last week.

I think I found my flamingo?for the day in your post Grandmafrench. Just like our house at times but had me giggling as much as Urms and I’m sure most of our Good Morning friends too.

Blossoming Fri 11-Jun-21 10:17:59

Good morning all from a damp and overcast Lancashire. Yesterday I completed the paperwork for the new car purchase, should be ready in a couple of weeks. Today’s exciting activities are sorting through the knicker and sock drawers and throwing old, tatty and torn ones out. Glad to hear things are a little better harrisgran. Enjoy your weekends Ashcombe and Marydoll. Hope all with pain and troubles find some comfort today.

Happy Friday ?

Urmstongran Fri 11-Jun-21 10:13:22

Your preparations for trying to leave the house in a heatwave had me giggling GrandmaFrench!
?

Grandmajean Fri 11-Jun-21 10:12:21

Urmstongran

^Two youngest grandchildren for tea today^

I hope you won’t find them too chewy Grandmajean!
??

Whoops ! That'll teach me to consider myself good at English Urmstongran ! I think they are capable of putting up quite a struggle wink

Georgesgran Fri 11-Jun-21 10:08:43

Good morning from a bright, breezy Durham - perfect for drying DD2s laundry which I’m doing while she recovers from her C Section - a long job, I think because of other health issues. I have both her dogs here (no bother) and think I could well have them a long time too.
Had some fresh salmon last night - it suddenly made my mouth go very dry and unpleasant, so I left it - half an hour later I was struck down by sickness and diarrhoea, so an easy day today for me. I’d like to see a friend this afternoon but I’ll see how I feel later.
?Harri - hope you get some help soon.
Thinking of missing posters. X

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 11-Jun-21 10:01:20

Good Morning all from overcast Harrogate. Slept in this morning!! Feel the better for it. Have a good weekend Marydoll long time since I've been to either Pitlochry or Paisley!
Ashcombe thanks for opening up, and enjoy your weekend break, it will help your friend.
Hoping to give the car a run this morning, a euphemism for out of town shopping, haven't told DH!!
Have a good day folks - there's something better round the corner!

Dogsmakemesmile Fri 11-Jun-21 09:31:33

Good morning from a wet and cool Scottish Borders. Great for the seeds I planted earlier in the week and gardens generally. Everywhere looking so green and lush. Paperwork, tidying and tracking down a birthday present today. Will make pizza dough later. All the family now booked in for vaccinations over the next few weeks. What an amazing achievement by the scientists and NHS to have created and rolled out this vaccine. Wishing everyone as good a day as possible.

EkwaNimitee Fri 11-Jun-21 09:28:41

Good morning, Ashcombe, have an enjoyable trip. And Good morning, Mick-hope you are back soon- and everyone. It's bright here in Carlisle. Yesterday was cloudy and threatening rain in spite of which I watered the new front lawn. It didn't rain and I think none is forecast.
I was expecting the washing machine repair man who eventually, sounding harassed, rang to apologise and made another date. Apparently road repairs had sprung up everywhere, as they seem to round here, and he was behind schedule.
Today, some housework and, depending on how energetic I feel after lunch, mowing the back lawn or planting a shrub. Gone are the days when I could go out and dig holes for multiple shrubs! A grocery delivery is also due but I'm getting a bit irritated with this particular store as they have cut several items from their stock that I regularly order. Still, it gives me an excuse to go out and peruse other emporia.
I hope our non-posters are progressing/well and will be back soon. A happy weekend to all...

Grandmafrench Fri 11-Jun-21 09:20:21

Good Morning everyone. ??

Been busy in the garden. Proof of this can be seen in my endless bites! ? June is the month of ‘NoSeeUms’ - as my American friend calls them. And you don’t! I use loads of repellant but it doesn’t work. Used to use a very effective Skin So Soft spray - when it contained Picaridin. Don’t think it does now, and when it used to be used by the British Army in bug infested regions. So my friend in Florida bought 5 bottles to send to me ( hurrah!) she was then told in the Post Office, no way! (Boo!) Not allowed on planes. When she argued as to how unreasonable, they threatened to throw her out! Her friends bought the bottles from her - works a treat, she said. Didn’t help me, though. I am currently testing a Chinese ‘watch’ thing which is said to give off waves bugs don’t like. I do suspect that’s a wasted 70 euros (for two) that could have been better spent elsewhere!

Going out is still a novelty and a bit of a shouty problem continuing complicated task! We are now just so unused to simply leaving home and going out in an orderly manner. We’re going to need to do some work on this, I fear. Had to go out yesterday afternoon. WHAT a palaver. Ready….DH picks up my keys for my car…collects a clean mask..opens door…walks to car..comes back…looks for own keys, locks garage…I walk to car…he arrives..no sunglasses…I fetch sunglasses….he manoeuvres car….asks if I have his wallet…?‍?….I go back into house retrieve wallet…he gets out of car to put two large empty containers for pool company into boot…re-locks garage…gates won’t open because gate thingy is in his own locked car and on bureau indoors with keys….I go indoors again…dogs are actually rolling their eyes and sniggering??…I go outside and DH points out large bird poo deposit on bonnet…despite his protestations, I locate and pick up wet cloth and remove it….I get in car…gates open, gates close..are we actually, seriously OFF ? And all this in 34 degrees! ?

Couldn’t locate a new young hedgehog which appeared when I was watering in the twilight the other evening. DH found him in the bottom of our empty pool the other morning. Unharmed. He was dustpanned to the safety of the hedge but if he’s not very bright I don’t want him to fall into our full pool. Hedgerows and green fields await - for his own safety. We’d encourage him otherwise.

Hope today is a better day for all those struggling with or recovering from illness, aches and pain, and good luck with family pets or family problems. Well done, Alizarin on surviving the Summit nonsense, your early escape from hospital and a hopefully calm return home. We’d love to see your newly created half a pigeon!

Enjoy all the planned trips….hope you get good weather and that the change perks everyone up in a much needed way.

Take care outing and abouting…find some flamingoes and smiles ???????? and may the sun shine on each and everyone this weekend.

Off to make a quiche for lunch and await the return of Croissant Man.? It seems a scooter ride to the Boulangerie (without me) might be a less complicated activity. Mmmm, we shall see. No, he’s just come back indoors for sunscreen!!!! ?
Just as well ? I love him.

Take care, Grans. ???‍♀️x

muse Fri 11-Jun-21 09:05:13

Thank you*Ash*.
Home Sweet Home Alizarin. I too would love to see your creativity.

Good to hear all doors are opening smoothly.

Me too marydoll. Messaged them yesterday. Nothing back from them.

Wet grey start to the day in mid Cornwall. Back soon. Off to shower before breakfast.

lemsip Fri 11-Jun-21 09:00:23

Best wishes to MIck.

Gelisajams Fri 11-Jun-21 08:58:22

Good morning from a dull Morecambe Bay where it has been raining overnight.
Enjoy your weekend away with your friend Ash. I’m sure she will appreciate it. My friend lost her old cat and still talks about how spending the weekend with us helped her so much.
Some weeks ago you may remember I posted a photo of the plans for our arbour. However the final costings were twice the price of buying one. DH went back to the drawing board. The progress to date is…..zilch!
Dont hesitate to call about your gas leak Grammaretto they will be with you quickly. It reminds me of visiting my mother in law a few years ago. She complained she had been awake all night with the carbon monoxide alarm beeping so she got up and threw it in the garden. We immediately called the British Gas and they arrived in just seven minutes to make her gas fire safe.
Hope you have a lovely weekend Marydoll Do pace yourself so you can enjoy the full weekend.
My task today is to take our little car for new tyres. I think it’s jealous that the campa got new tyres last week and it didn’t!
Take care and stay safe everyone ???

Party4 Fri 11-Jun-21 08:56:55

Morning all from as yet overcast blustery West Yorks.
Many thanks to ASH for opening.Good news that Mr HARR. has some improvement but so sad there is no one to visit and offer support.I do admire all you busy folk who seem to lead such interesting lives I struggle if I have more than a couple of projects on.Yest trip to IKEA was a let down as was offered far less than the on line estimate, even though I swear hand on heart it was as new.The young lad insisting they had to make a profit in the resale, would rather have donated to charity than fall for the con.The items we were going to purchase with credit note turned out to be special delivery items with delivery cost,watch this space as this may become norm.Food shop today,all family here for football bbq Sunday, DGC will have water play as forecast very hot.
Happy weekend all, enjoy whatever makes you happy.

Urmstongran Fri 11-Jun-21 08:53:54

It’s so heartening to read how far you’ve come mentally BlueSapphire since this time last year. It’s lovely to hear how much your social mojo has returned. Our minds are funny things sometimes aren’t they!
?

Greyduster Fri 11-Jun-21 08:52:59

Good morning, Michael, Ash, and all GNs. It’s very breezy in South Yorkshire this morning and the sun is playing hide and seek with us. I am sneezing myself senseless yet again and my nose is running like a tap, and I haven’t even been outside! As soon as I open my eyes it starts! We have food shopping to do today and a parcel is being delivered - a present we bought for my son in law - so we won’t be going very far. We may get a walk in later. Salad for tea so no cooking. Enjoy your day the best way you can, folks.

Nannagarra Fri 11-Jun-21 08:52:45

Good morning from the Sefton coast where it is overcast and cool in contrast to the glorious sunshine enjoyed in a friend’s garden yesterday. In the evening I cooked Jamie Oliver’s Spring Veg Linguine which I can recommend.
Today I’m buying fruit for the ‘picnic’ we have with DGD on the way home from school. Mid journey we pause at a sawn tree trunk in a lush grassy area, thus we have a table top and Miss Chatterbox’s verdant yoga demonstration mat. Simple but much enjoyed pleasures.
I hope you enjoy your time away Ashcombe and I’m pleased to read about your recovery Alizarin. Thinking of those who face troubles.
May you find a smile and sight a flamingo today.

BlueSapphire Fri 11-Jun-21 08:49:56

Grrrr, my post has just disappeared!

Good morning everyone from an overcast Northampton; looks very breezy out as well, and warm temperatures are forecast.

Spent yesterday morning in the garden; potted up the bedding plants I bought on Wednesday, then cut the front grass. Then cut down the ivy which was trying to get under the eaves; it meant getting the steps out, but I managed ok.

Had a very pleasant health walk in the evening, only 6 of us this week, followed by wine and dinner in the pub. Our walk took us past the doctors surgery, so I delivered my opt out form; I filled out the hospital one on line. My friend and I have decided to have our tea at the pub every week after our walk. It saves cooking one night a week, and is good company.

Nothing much planned for today; will probably hoover upstairs, have a general tidy up, then sit and read in the garden this afternoon.

Take care everyone, and enjoy the weather!

Lins1066 Fri 11-Jun-21 08:48:01

Good morning from a cool S Welsh coast, there was a shower of rain about 6am.
Saw the consultant, he wants a Spect CT scan of my foot, apparently I won't have to wait long for that.
I feel better after having my hair trimmed yesterday morning, I don't miss going to a salon at all. Hope your daughter's dog has a successful op baubles.
To all those getting out and about, enjoy your day.
Best wishes to everyone.