Gransnet forums

Chat

"Parents accuse schools of body-shaming as girls are told to wear shorts under skirts"

(146 Posts)
ixion Fri 11-Jun-21 08:58:42

Sunday Times June 6th p.11

(Some primary schools) "are introducing 'modesty shorts' for girls as young as four. Some head teachers ask children to wear shorts under summer dresses so they do not show underwear whilst doing activities such as handstands in the playground".

Next and River Island apparently market 'modesty shorts' (2+ years and 5+ respectively) and Gap calls them 'cartwheel shorts to layer under dresses'.

It's a good few years since I dealt with children of this age, and even more since we all used to tuck our frocks into our knickers at playtime to do handstands against the walls of the outside toilets.

What do people think?

ixion Fri 11-Jun-21 11:57:34

Thank you doodledog.
Your last two paragraphs answer it all for me!

CafeAuLait Fri 11-Jun-21 11:59:07

"a better way to achieve this is to dress them in appropriate clothing rather than to insist on inappropriate clothing with additional garments for modesty."

Exactly. On hot days it's not fair that girls should have to wear two layers when boys get to wear one. Just let them both wear shorts. Or, at the very least, give them the option of either.

greenlady102 Fri 11-Jun-21 12:00:35

I think if they were called "action" shorts there wouldn't be a problem.

Chardy Fri 11-Jun-21 13:10:37

The vast majority of girls used to wear trousers (and sweat shirts) in school. Then the blazer craze came along, leading to obsessive uniform policies in academies and hey ho skirts became the norm.
When my school became an academy, we old lags saw the uniform list and rolled our eyes.

Shelflife Fri 11-Jun-21 14:44:41

I had to wear navy blue knickers for hockey in senior school, I hated it ! The boys wore shorts - why not the girls!!!?
For today's children I would suggest they all wear trousers or shorts - problem solved. Dresses are not suitable attire for energetic climbing , running etc. Girls are wearing modesty shorts under their dresses - what's the point. Why not ditch dresses altogether?

eazybee Fri 11-Jun-21 14:56:36

Girls have the choice of wearing trousers or dresses/skirts; boys wear trousers or shorts. I don't know if girls choose to wear shorts as part of school uniform. It is ten years since I retired, but girls were wearing lycra shorts under their skirts then and nothing was made of it. They changed separately for P.E. and male teachers made sure they remained outside the classroom whilst the girls were changing.

MagicWand Fri 11-Jun-21 15:58:32

My argument has always been that girls shorts are about 10-15cm shorter in the length of the leg than boys shorts. I try to buy shorts for my DGDs from Mountain Warehouse (other outdoor clothing stores are available) as they at least, are a reasonable length.

My older DGD made the move to wearing cycle shorts under her school skirts years ago after 'l can see your knickers!' comments made by boys. They also had a group of boys who would try to pull up the skirts of the girls so exposing their knickers, something thankfully the school dealt with quite swiftly!

I also, like a few other PPs, object to the name 'modesty shorts'. Does it mean that girls who do not wear them are 'guilty' of being immodest? Will part of any blame for inappropriate behaviour fall on their shoulders because they are not wearing their modesty garment? Where will the focus fall next?

Eloethan Fri 11-Jun-21 16:07:42

Isn't this a case of effect being dealt with rather than cause? I realise that older children and teenagers have debates in school about issues of consent and respectful behaviour between the sexes but perhaps conversations on this topic would be useful for much younger children.

I remember seeing a programme in which primary age girls and boys had very stereotypical ideas about the opposite sex. The boys saw the girls as a bit soppy, less strong and less able than themselves - and the girls were quite often accepting of this.

In this age of sexualised imagery, it is important that girls and boys understand issues of consent and respect, and what is and is not acceptable behaviour - and why. It goes far deeper than what a child does or does not wear.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 11-Jun-21 16:14:16

Surely, the bigger problem of boys' behaviour should be addressed. Why should girls have to change they way they dress when boys can sometimes be so horrible? Presumably because traditionally girls are more biddable and co-operative so it's easier than trying to civilise the boys. I fear for my teenage niece who's at a mixed secondary school when I think of the world she is growing up in.

Hithere Fri 11-Jun-21 16:54:28

Lovebeingcardigans1955

You nailed it.
Girls are more cooperative because they are taught that from such a young age

Atqui Fri 11-Jun-21 17:26:05

It’s very sad and I agree that girls knickers are made to look like women’s now. I found some high waisted pants for my GD which were pretty, just not bikini style when she was 3 . She loved
them because they were comfortable and saved her from KUB. When she started school she kept these for weekends so that her friends didn’t laugh at them.
How do we stop children from being coy about their bodies whilst keeping them safe from voyeurs ? I think the term modesty shorts is dreadful. As others have said , just let them wear shorts in the summer .

Ellianne Fri 11-Jun-21 17:41:13

Talking of girls' knickers, why do so many of them have to have writing on them?
Plain and simple please.

BlueBelle Fri 11-Jun-21 17:42:27

Ridiculous and so hot and cumbersome totally unnecessary I saw a friend putting her 3 year old in them ….awful

Talullah Fri 11-Jun-21 17:43:47

Ellianne

Talking of girls' knickers, why do so many of them have to have writing on them?
Plain and simple please.

Oh Ellianne! I loved my pants with the days of the week on them. My poor Mum had t make sure we had the right ones for the day. I could never have worn Wednesday's knickers on a Friday. I don't like the term modesty shorts either. Sounds very Victorian to me.

theworriedwell Fri 11-Jun-21 18:04:56

lovebeigecardigans1955

Surely, the bigger problem of boys' behaviour should be addressed. Why should girls have to change they way they dress when boys can sometimes be so horrible? Presumably because traditionally girls are more biddable and co-operative so it's easier than trying to civilise the boys. I fear for my teenage niece who's at a mixed secondary school when I think of the world she is growing up in.

I think if boys were sitting with their penises on show they would be told very directly to sort themselves out. I honestly don't see how it is a boys fault if the girls are wearing such skimpy knickers that the teachers/TAs/volunteers and boys see more than they want. If the boys are doing something wrong they should be told but the girls should be properly dressed.

theworriedwell Fri 11-Jun-21 18:05:50

Shelflife

I had to wear navy blue knickers for hockey in senior school, I hated it ! The boys wore shorts - why not the girls!!!?
For today's children I would suggest they all wear trousers or shorts - problem solved. Dresses are not suitable attire for energetic climbing , running etc. Girls are wearing modesty shorts under their dresses - what's the point. Why not ditch dresses altogether?

Evidently asking girls to wear shorts is some sort of affront.

theworriedwell Fri 11-Jun-21 18:08:02

CafeAuLait

"a better way to achieve this is to dress them in appropriate clothing rather than to insist on inappropriate clothing with additional garments for modesty."

Exactly. On hot days it's not fair that girls should have to wear two layers when boys get to wear one. Just let them both wear shorts. Or, at the very least, give them the option of either.

Boys do wear two layers don't they? Underpants and shorts.

theworriedwell Fri 11-Jun-21 18:08:28

greenlady102

I think if they were called "action" shorts there wouldn't be a problem.

I think you are right.

Ellianne Fri 11-Jun-21 18:12:57

Talullah grin

theworriedwell Fri 11-Jun-21 18:14:32

Doodledog

*The point you don't seem to understand is that very often the knickers that are sold for girls don't always cover the area. If it was covered there wouldn't be an issue. There is also the issue that we aren't just talking about 4 year olds, some girls at primary school will be 11 and already having periods. You might think it doesn't matter, many adults in school think it does.*

The point you don't seem to understand is that I am not saying that it doesn't matter. In fact I have said on more than one occasion that (IMO) the point is that girls (at any age) should have agency over what they wear and that trousers would be a more sensible option than extra clothing to keep them modest when wearing dresses.

You do seem determined to find something to pick up on in all of my posts, however - it started with you disagreeing with my comments about how girls were being asked to cover up to protect them from men - and has moved to you saying that I am not aware that modern knickers are sometimes more skimpy than gym knickers of old, and that many 11 year olds have periods. You move the goalposts each time.

I do understand - what I am saying is that it is the fact that dresses are not suitable for physical play that is the issue, whether worn at 4 or 14. That and the fact that if it were not for predatory men there would be less of a need for 4 year olds to cover up quite so assiduously.

4 year olds are usually quite unselfconscious about their bodies and will, for example, happily run in and out of the sea naked without a second thought. We do have to teach them that to protect them against predators this is not always a good idea, but (again IMO) a better way to achieve this is to dress them in appropriate clothing rather than to insist on inappropriate clothing with additional garments for modesty.

Being unselfconscious about your body on a beach is quite different to in the classroom. The issue in the classroom isn't to do with predatory males, female teachers don't like it and it isn't appropriate.

Girls should have agency within the limits of acceptable behaviour so if girls want to wear no knickers or skimpy knickers then it is reasonable that they save their agency for an appropriate time.

Mentioning girls in primary can be 11 and having periods was because you seem to bring it back to 4 years old and it isn't just about 4 year olds.

SueDonim Fri 11-Jun-21 18:16:32

My GD’s all wear what seem to be very similar underwear to what my own DD’s wore 30+years ago. Where are people getting these revealing knickers from?

The term and the very idea of modesty shorts* repels me. Once again, females are having to adapt themselves to accommodate the male of the species. How about educating boys and men to not regard their female counterparts as fair game for ogling and verbal abuse?

Even a senior police officer has backed modesty shorts for girls of four and upwards. What message is that sending to our girls? That society will not protect them unless they abide by rules set up for male appeasement?

*M&S do - or did - a range of ‘modest’ clothing. How judgemental a label is that, given that everything else must be immodest.

Deedaa Fri 11-Jun-21 18:37:50

Going back to my schooldays I don't think it's just a case of abuse from boys.

The girls at my school made my life a misery at one point because they all wore petticoats under their uniform and my mother wouldn't let me have one ( "Don't be so silly! I never wore a petticoat for school!") Heaven knows how much mileage they would have got out of my knickers being too revealing.

greenlady102 Fri 11-Jun-21 18:37:51

SueDonim

My GD’s all wear what seem to be very similar underwear to what my own DD’s wore 30+years ago. Where are people getting these revealing knickers from?

The term and the very idea of modesty shorts* repels me. Once again, females are having to adapt themselves to accommodate the male of the species. How about educating boys and men to not regard their female counterparts as fair game for ogling and verbal abuse?

Even a senior police officer has backed modesty shorts for girls of four and upwards. What message is that sending to our girls? That society will not protect them unless they abide by rules set up for male appeasement?

*M&S do - or did - a range of ‘modest’ clothing. How judgemental a label is that, given that everything else must be immodest.

they still do the clothing styles but have dropped the description

Baggs Fri 11-Jun-21 18:39:11

Could this be more about teacher, or other school staff embarassment than about little boy comments?

Doodledog Fri 11-Jun-21 18:40:10

Evidently asking girls to wear shorts is some sort of affront.

No. Asking girls to wear shorts under dresses is unnecessary, as they could just wear the shorts (over underwear) or trousers, as boys do.

SueDomin Exactly so.