Gransnet forums

Chat

Shoplifting

(129 Posts)
annsixty Mon 14-Jun-21 12:06:25

On Saturday my GD and I had the first proper outing for a very long time.
We went to a local small town/ large village.
Had coffee and a toastie outside a small cafe and looked in a few shops.
We went into a very small Boots and while in there witnessed the most blatant/ audacious shoplifting episode.
A young man in shorts and tee shirt apparently followed us in and went straight to a corner display and just dropped bottle after bottle of aftershave into a plastic bag and walked out.
He could not be seen by the only staff member on the floor who was behind a large plastic screened counter, she was far from a young woman.
She seemed to be very unhappy with myself , my GD and another woman who had all seen the incident and didn’t react.
It happened so quickly it was hard to comprehend just what was happening and we were shocked and surprised.
I am almost 84 and can’t move well at all and most certainly couldn’t and wouldn’t intervene.
My GD felt the same, 5feet nothing she would not have stood a chance against a young fit man.
What would you have done?

oodles Wed 16-Jun-21 16:12:46

@LilyH, I once saw someone using a roll on deodorant and puting it back on the shelf with the top on, think I'd rather she had stolen it, at least with a spray all you have is a can with 2 armpitsworth of deodorant gone, not risking picking up something that had rolled around someone random's armpits shock

Antonia Wed 16-Jun-21 17:27:49

I saw a TV programme about a very run down town in the north east. No jobs, Universal credit late - the men survived by stealing what they could and selling it on eBay.
I suppose they could use food banks, but what about rent and other bills? If there is literally no money coming in, it's hard to be too judgemental about stealing.

Tizliz Thu 17-Jun-21 10:37:18

Sometime ago I was shopping in Boots with a colleague and watched horrified as she took the price sticker off something cheap and put it on the expensive item she wanted - must have been late ‘70’s. Though I didn’t challenge her she was stupid as I worked in personnel and she didn’t get the promotion she was applying for.