Gransnet forums

Chat

Our comfort zones

(49 Posts)
BlueBelle Mon 21-Jun-21 09:45:31

I m trying to beef up life a bit as I m in a bit of a comfortable rut of doing the same things each day
Anyway today being the summer solstice I read about a 4.15 am sea dip
Well I woke myself up at 4 am and got myself down to the beach there were plenty of people there and about 30 + went in the sea It was dull, it was windy, it was cold, the sea was very rough and there was no sunrise but it was wonderful I spent about 15 minutes jumping around in big waves with a group of strangers then home for a hot shower
Have you done anything outside your comfort zone lately ?

CV2020 Tue 22-Jun-21 23:58:12

I drove from Scotland to Essex yesterday to visit two of my Grandchildren. Today I went into the High Street and went into 4 shops! Something I haven’t done at home since the Pandemic started. It wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. Definitely out of my comfort zone.

CanadianGran Tue 22-Jun-21 22:53:25

Wow, I am impressed. Not sure of your ocean temperatures, but ours is very cold. I would have to have a lot of peer pressure to join in!

But it is good for all of us to step out of our routines once in a while, so good for all of you for pushing your limits!

DiW1 Tue 22-Jun-21 22:32:38

I went on a Zip Wire at 100 miles per hour! Terrifying but so happy I did it

NanKate Tue 22-Jun-21 22:19:31

Cold water is supposed to be invigorating so after the first few minutes of a warm shower I turn it down about 6 notches get used to the colder water then down another few notches. I might add a couple more notches tomorrow. ???

grannyrebel7 Tue 22-Jun-21 18:29:27

I went in the baby's pool with the GC a couple of weeks ago. Does that count? smile

dogsmother Tue 22-Jun-21 18:14:43

Congratulations Bluebelle!
I did a sunrise walk a week earlier getting up at 3:30am a swim would have been beyond my bravery scope, although it was an an option for me.

BlueBelle Tue 22-Jun-21 17:30:09

Oh wow much more scary than my swim coastalgran I ve avoided all such invites for years GOOD LUCK

Sparklefizz Tue 22-Jun-21 17:04:07

Good luck coastalgran. Hope the date is fun and turns out to be everything you wish for. How did you find him?

coastalgran Tue 22-Jun-21 16:03:07

I will be out of my comfort zone on Friday morning at 10.45am as I am meeting a gentleman for the first time in what may/may not develop into something, time will tell, it has been 10 years since I had what might be called a date, even although we are only going for a coffee in the local farm shop. Very nervous but a bit excited as well!

AGAA4 Tue 22-Jun-21 15:49:51

I would like to try a dip in the sea but it is an hour's drive away.

Treetops05 Tue 22-Jun-21 14:57:16

Sadly not, and if I'm honest I'm even avoiding doing the things I always did, like coffee with friends...

BlueBelle Tue 22-Jun-21 14:04:14

Keep going daftbag don’t stop, every achievement is brilliant and gets easier and easier
alioop I m not much of a swimmer I can swim but not strong and hate going under I get really really panicky
The water is really not that cold meryl the atmosphere outside the water is colder once you’re in and under it feels great and you come your tingling and feeling really good
Try it sometime

MerylStreep Tue 22-Jun-21 13:59:39

I too live within walking distance of the sea ( the estuary actually ?) I often see a group of women swimming. I know it’s good for us but I just can’t bear cold water.
Even on the hottest days I will only go in if it’s an afternoon tide. That means the mud has got nice and hot and will warm the water.

Alioop Tue 22-Jun-21 13:48:53

Well done you, I can't even bloomin swim. I know a group of women who do it and feel so invigorated afterwards, I would just moan I was too cold. You go girl and keep it up grin

sharon103 Tue 22-Jun-21 13:43:04

Wow! Rather you than me Blubelle. Well done. smile
A brilliant achievement Daftbagl. Keep going. Don't give up now, it will get easier.

Daftbag1 Tue 22-Jun-21 13:00:21

Out of my comfort zone is far less exciting.......I went food shopping! It took several anti anxiety pills, and my husband glued to me but I did it and have no desire to do it again!

polnan Tue 22-Jun-21 12:59:47

well, for me, just to put petrol in the car, and stop and have a coffee on my own is me out of my comfort zone..

though swimming in the sea would not be any more of a difficulty for me.. think that suggests that anything "different"
can put any of us out of our so called comfort zone!

??

CW52 Tue 22-Jun-21 12:44:25

Well done you. I’m finding it difficult to get out of bed. So glad that we have the grandkids to keep us on our toes. ????

JaneJudge Tue 22-Jun-21 12:43:04

I don't think any of us can compete with your original post bluebelle grin

Lin52 Tue 22-Jun-21 12:37:58

Haven’t done anything out of my comfort zone recently. Last major thing for me, terrified of heights, but had to walk across a long bridge over motorway in Freemantle. Not so scared now.

Rufus2 Tue 22-Jun-21 12:32:58

What about the hardy souls, about 150 of them, down in Tasmania who had an early morning skinny dip in the River Derwent!?
Unsurprisingly some of them said on TV News the water was cold; after all, it's Winter-time. Some Aussies are as tough as they are mad! grin

Theoddbird Tue 22-Jun-21 12:23:13

That must have been wonderful smile

Anneeba Tue 22-Jun-21 12:01:00

Well done Bluebell. My problem would be that when getting into freezing cold water, whether lakes or the sea, I seem totally unable not to turn the air blue very loudly. I've tried changing the words that come out to something less offensive, but then a little wave will hit a sensitive area and back I am mouthing obscenities. I don't know what I'll do when my grandchildren are old enough to come in with me... go to warmer climes with them maybe, so the problem won't exist. once I'm in it's fine and lovely.

Lupin Tue 22-Jun-21 11:53:47

That's a fantastic thing to do Bluebell. You are a brave woman. So glad you enjoyed it so much.

Alis52 Tue 22-Jun-21 11:41:13

Sounds brilliant! Sometimes we do need to push ourselves a bit.
I have also been in a rut and it wasn’t helped by breaking my leg a while back and have generally been feeling a bit useless physically as my recovery has been patchy. But I made myself get into a swimming pool at the weekend and it was amazing. Feel so much better. Decided I’m going body boarding this weekend. Time to brave those waves again!