Gransnet forums

Chat

Things that turn up in weird places ages after you lost them.

(81 Posts)
Witzend Mon 21-Jun-21 11:43:14

I just remembered this - one of the two small and very thin remotes for our radio/hi fi - one of which is nearly always on the dining table, which is my ‘office’ and craft space.

It vanished for months on end, so after looking everywhere I could think of, I assumed that it had somehow been gathered up with newspapers (also often on dining table) and chucked in the recycling bin.

That is, until shortly before last Christmas, when I started wrapping presents. Leftover Christmas paper lives in a big bag in the loft, with a smaller bag containing ribbons, tags, sellotape, etc.
Lo and behold, the missing remote was in the ‘tags’ bag! That’ll teach me to be more careful when tidying up - it must have been me.

2nd was less explicable - a silver claddagh ring a dd had been given. She wore it a lot and was upset when it was lost.

At least 2 years later it turned up - black with tarnish -not in, but actually behind one of my deep saucepan drawers, after I’d taken them out for a proper clean - a rare enough occurrence!

How on earth it ended up there I will never know - I don’t think we’ve got a poltergeist.
I’m sure some of you will have even weirder ones!

Marydoll Wed 30-Jun-21 00:05:39

Georgesgran

I can’t find the deeds to this house. DH died in March and he’d had them out a couple of times in 2020 to show a boundary line (that’s in dispute) to neighbours. He was the most methodical, careful man but I’ve no idea where he put them afterwards. Should be in the safe but they aren’t, nor any of his filing cabinet drawers. Mystery!

Georgesgran, could your late husband have lent them to your neighbours to have a look at? I know it's highly unlikely, but you never know.
I do hope they turn up.

storynanny Mon 28-Jun-21 21:29:04

Many years ago one of my teaching colleagues couldn’t find her sandwiches at lunchtime. We all searched high and low to no avail.
Over a year later I decided to make my little boys some pyjamas out off a bag of material said friend had given me.
Out of the bag fell a packet of very very mouldy green sandwiches!

Georgesgran Mon 28-Jun-21 20:01:57

I can’t find the deeds to this house. DH died in March and he’d had them out a couple of times in 2020 to show a boundary line (that’s in dispute) to neighbours. He was the most methodical, careful man but I’ve no idea where he put them afterwards. Should be in the safe but they aren’t, nor any of his filing cabinet drawers. Mystery!

Chardy Mon 28-Jun-21 19:30:36

Marydoll

If anyone can tell me where my missing Fitbit is, that would be very helpful. I took it off to go for a bath and have searched high and low, to no avail! ☹

I lost mine this morning. It had dropped off the side into the wastepaper basket. Now if you can tell me what happened to the expensive hairdryer DD bought me that I lost well before Lockdown 1, I'd be grateful.

BlueSky Mon 28-Jun-21 18:09:15

In my case I can’t find something somewhere I know it is, only to find it when I look again. It’s weird, somebody said fairies? shock

watermeadow Mon 28-Jun-21 17:59:16

My mother in law kept flour in an old tin, adding a new bagful whenever it got low. One day she actually got to the bottom of the tin and found her wedding ring, lost many years before.

MamaB247 Sun 27-Jun-21 16:25:58

Had a few funniest one was our pet rabbit, although he lives outside he has free reign thru the day and is allowed inside. This day we hunted high and low and couldn't find him. Had neighbours and friends and family out searching assuming he'd got out and were on creating missing posters, when I decided to make a lasagne a d went for my big stock pot that I'd just washed up. It was on the bottom shelf of a low cupboard (it's heavy) taking off the lid and guess who was inside. My guess is I'd put the pot on the shelf and left the cupboard door open as I dried the lid he must have got in there he was always drawn to warm things and it had just been washed and dried. Then I must have not looked when I reached down and put the lid on. Thankfully he didn't seem to show any I'll effects despite clearly being in there for at least 3 hours.

We also find toilet roll tubes everywhere as both rabbit and puppy adore them and snatch them at every chance they get if anyone leaves bathroom door open. My husband once found his car keys in his garden boots three weeks after we had paid for new ones.

Humbertbear Wed 23-Jun-21 13:57:25

Thank you everyone. I reported earlier that last week I lost all my keys. Ive just found them in my mini greenhouse. I have no reason to take them out there so have no idea why I left them there but at least we can stop worrying about being burgled.

felice Wed 23-Jun-21 12:32:19

My top false front teeth, getting ready for the flight to go and organise my Mothers funeral, I had been cleaning my teeth before getting dressed and laid them on the small glass tray on my bedside cabinet. I never left the bedroom but when I went to put them in, they had gone.
DD came down and we turned the place upside down, getting close to panic, nothing.
A rather embarrasing week later came home, DD had tidied my bedroom, still no sign.
Went to bed, next morning first thing I saw when waking up were my teeth.
Now my Mother hated me with a vengeance and I just found it really creepy.

hazel93 Wed 23-Jun-21 12:26:10

Thank heavens I'm not the only one !
Left two week old son in his buggy outside a small Sainsburys back in the day ,shopping in bag, untied dog from railing and off I went, dog kept pulling me back and then refused to move !
Ashamed to say I was really cross with our lovely dog - took me more than a little time to realise exactly what I had forgotten !!

Witzend Wed 23-Jun-21 12:07:38

lizzypopbottle, are you quite sure they’re in the case, and not lurking on your head? That’s where I’ve found mine more than once!

Greyduster Wed 23-Jun-21 11:42:04

Ilovedragonflies your post reminded me of how I nearly had to kiss goodbye to my wedding ring. We were on a pretty much deserted beach in Northern Ireland and getting ready to leave when I shook the sand out of the picnic blanket and my ring flew off! I only saw roughly where it landed out of the corner of my eye, so DH ordered the children not to move (told them they were playing a game of statues!) and he marked out the area into squares and we sifted through the top layers of sand as gently as we could (a bit like rubbing in pastry) - and in the third square, there it was. It was quite loose in those days - it wouldn’t happen now! Relief was palpable!

lizzypopbottle Wed 23-Jun-21 11:40:30

If anyone can shed light on where my most recent reading glasses, in their case, have disappeared to, I'll be grateful ?

muffinthemoo Tue 22-Jun-21 18:38:02

I once lost my engagement ring (I don’t wear the thing) for a good two months. Couldn’t admit to DH that it had gone walkies so had to surreptitiously search for it when he wasn’t around.

One day I went to my stack of blank CDs to burn a playlist for a car journey… and there it was, on the spindle holding the stack together. I remain completely mystified as to how it got there.

susieq3 Tue 22-Jun-21 18:35:08

Oh yes I’ve done that too, left my baby outside a shop and come home. Hubby asked where he was.Dashed back poor lamb just sitting there quite happily. This was in 1972 in a rural area. No worries about people going off with him!

susieq3 Tue 22-Jun-21 18:29:38

I couldn’t believe it when I saw this heading. We’ve been looking for something for two days. Turned the house upside down. Coming up from the cellar today and there it was my partners wrist support sticking out from a bag hanging on the back of the door.!

BlueSapphire Tue 22-Jun-21 16:36:54

I've probably posted this before, but after searching high and low I found the Avon catalogue in the freezer.

And DGD found my missing diamond ear-ring in the tiny gap between the skirting board and carpet. I thought I had lost it outside somewhere, had given up on it, and claimed on the insurance. After receiving a replacement and then finding the original I informed the insurance company who told me I could keep the replacement as a spare.

pinkym Tue 22-Jun-21 16:15:47

I lost one of a favourite pair of earrings. Tipped the bedroom upside down, checked every drawer, cupboard, shelf, bag etc. About a month later I decided to do a real deep clean of the bedroom, it was immaculate. Finished up and took rubbish downstairs, came back in the bedroom to instantly spot my missing earring in the middle of the floor. My Dad used to be a real tidy freak, always nagging me to clean my room when I was a child, I just grinned and said out loud "thanks Dad, my reward for cleaning my room!". smile

Scottiebear Tue 22-Jun-21 15:49:18

Months ago I unscrewed a bottle of vinegar. I dropped the top and it fell to the floor. I heard it roll but by the time I turned round it had disappeared, never to be seen again. There are only a couple of possible areas it could have got into or under. But it's not in any of them. I had my kitchen floor replaced a couple of months ago and white good were moved but it still didn't turn up.

pennykins Tue 22-Jun-21 15:47:54

We never got engaged so my husband bought me a beautiful ring when I was expecting our first child.
I kept it in my jewellery box and only worse when we went out somewhere.
It just disappeared one day. My eldest son was 5 the other 3 so I set a game of who could find mummy's nice ring. The rang all round the house looking and both my husband and myself looked everywhere but not to be found.
Imagine my surprise when I went into the bathroom, one day, a couple of years later, and there was my ring sitting on the window ledge.
We never did find out what had happened to it and how it had mysterily returned.

Forestflame Tue 22-Jun-21 15:35:59

You give me hope. I lost a pair of glasses last year and have turned the house upside down looking for them to no avail!
PS. One of my friends left her first baby in her pram outside a shop. Happens more often than you would think!

lemsip Tue 22-Jun-21 15:34:22

lost engagement rings reminded me....new baby in pram had been to the shops and noticed ring missing from my finger when i got home, so frantically put baby back in pram and dashed back to various shops I had visited but no luck....Guess where I found it..... when it was breastfeeding time again there it was in my bra...I was exhausted from dashing back to the shops.

Witzend Tue 22-Jun-21 15:26:04

Ha, Daftbag1, when she was only about 10 days old, I left dd1 in her pram in Boots, having completely forgotten that I had her. Luckily I was meeting my mother, whose aghast, ‘Where’s the baby??’ soon sent me charging back!
I don’t think anyone had twigged, thank goodness - no harm done.
Dds still find it hilarious - just more evidence of mum always having had crazy tendencies.,

pennyhapenny Tue 22-Jun-21 15:02:09

Lost the garage keys the other day. After looking high and low ... found them in my bra! Had put them there when I got diverted sorting the recycling.

Yammy Tue 22-Jun-21 14:07:02

My late aunt once lost her engagement ring. The house and car were searched all the relies looked in their houses as well. My uncle bought her a beautiful new ring but it never felt the same. About three years later she was going to a wedding and looked for a pair of gloves she had not worn for years and there in the gloves was the original ring.
We often have to ring DH mobile from the landline because he losses it, the last time it was on top of the car in the garage he had put it down to lock the door.