Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Tuesday

(82 Posts)
Michael12 Tue 22-Jun-21 06:08:56

Good Morning Everyone,
Today ,as started with a grey and wet morning here in Brackley .
My plans after some housework , will be to get the bus to Bicester for my usual hour there ,have a coffee and a snack as well , hopefully bump into former work colleagues, then return home to relax in the afternoon.
The cemetery trip yesterday , with the weather just lately has seen me clearing weeds between the 2 family graves , with more work later .
Take Care,
Mick

Grandmabatty Tue 22-Jun-21 08:59:29

Good news Sar

monk08 Tue 22-Jun-21 09:03:39

amserlin as NannyJan has said it's an area in the West Midlands. If you are in the area they have the Black country museum which covers the history of the area. Although the name is not very appealing we have some glorious countryside with lovely walks available.

Blossoming Tue 22-Jun-21 09:04:33

Marydoll I’m so sorry you haven’t been able to hug Dollie, your love for her shines through your writing. I’m sure it won’t be much longer now until you can be together properly flowers

monk08 Tue 22-Jun-21 09:06:54

Good news Sar

Marydoll Tue 22-Jun-21 09:16:55

Grandmajean could we be in the same LA? wink

Blossoming, I would be interested to hear what you have bought. We have bought Hondas for the last twenty years and Mr MDoll is thinking a buying a new car. However, the dealership has been taken over by a new comapny and the service is apalling and he may change makes!
This is the dealership who refused to help DD, when she was stranded in Orkney with a new car, bought from them. ?

BlueSapphire Tue 22-Jun-21 09:17:36

Good morning everyone from a bright and sunny ? Northampton. I have a load of washing in, and the mattress topper is in the tumble dryer before it goes out to finish off in the fresh air.

Cut the back grass yesterday morning, and finished my book in the afternoon. On to the next one! I am reading a series based around the Trojan war: Stephen Fry's Troy; A Thousand Ships and The Silence of the Girls, (different authors). Just fascinated with the stories of Ancient Greece.

I too put the heating on last night, it was decidedly chilly here!

Adding to the Sainsbury's order today, then will put fresh bedding on my bed and tidy/clean the bedroom and bathrooms. Then a health walk after lunch.

We have garden waste bins here too, and our council charges us an annual fee - I have to have two bins as my garden is very latge, so double cost for me. But worth it, as I have no transport to get to the tip.

Been waiting for the results of a lateral flow test as I write this, thankfully negative. Since I've started going out and about I've been doing two each week, just in case. Peace of mind.

Hope we all find a bit of sunshine today.

Blossoming Tue 22-Jun-21 09:18:36

Good news Sar hope your GD feels better soon. Welcome Maggie I hope you enjoy this friendly supportive thread. Mr. B has just returned, the washing is on so now to help unpack the shopping while he feeds the birds - I can’t reach the feeder grin Today is a good day smile

EkwaNimitee Tue 22-Jun-21 09:22:01

Good morning, Mick and everyone from a sunny Carlisle.
I went out to plant my shrub rose yesterday having watered the area thoroughly to soften the ground. It wasn't soft! The spade went through two inches of turf and couldn't be forced further. I had to lift off the turf and then resort to going down on my poor old knees to chip the compacted soil away with the corner of my spade. It seems to be a clay full of little stones and a high proportion of sand. Goodness knows where the builders get it from. I've watched the nearby gardens being finished off, heavy machinery over the ground, a relatively thin layer of topsoil which is then firmed down before turf is laid. No wonder it's hard work digging. I am tempted to get someone in to dig me out a wide border which I'm reluctant to do as I've always managed myself up to now.
As for today, a little gentle housework beckons plus more boring admin plus deciding, probably with a metaphorical pin, which hairdresser to try.
Good to see people getting out and enjoying themselves. I must get out more myself, on trips that don't involve visiting shops and spending money even if that is rather necessary at the moment.
Hopefully, a good day for all...

Blossoming Tue 22-Jun-21 09:25:50

Marydoll we have bought the new Honda CRV EX. We wanted a petrol electric hybrid and had narrowed it down to this or a Toyota. The Honda ticked all the boxes and was great to test drive. Our previous 2 cars have been Nissans, both excellent quality and I would recommend looking at them.

Now I really must get moving or Mr. B will be giving me ‘looks’!

aggie Tue 22-Jun-21 09:36:48

Good Morning from another sunny day in Co Armagh, there was a very cold wind yesterday , just as well , it cooled us digging and delving , our ( free) brown bin is emptied today and we fairly filled it with weeds and leaves . The leaves seem to gather at ours with the way the wind swirls
. Our brown bins are composted on a local farm , very big heaps ! We can get the resulting compost for the garden , it’s good stuff mostly .
Local volunteers fill tubs and window boxes for the village square with this compost and someone ( might be the council ) donates plants
The resulting bare spots meant a visit to the local nursery ? , I bought a mini catmint as recommended by Mony Don last Friday night , we have the large one and it gives a lovely display

Auntieflo Tue 22-Jun-21 10:01:11

Good morning Mick, Annie and all.

We also had our heating on yesterday from the afternoon until evening. I thought it was just me being a wuss, but DH was chilly too.

We stopped paying the annual charge for collection if garden waste, a few years ago. At first we had green bags, which were collected fortnightly, for free. Then big brown bins were introduced at a cost, and I believe it is £60 per year. If you buy paper sacks from the council, they are £1.00 each and hold a surprising amount, and are then collected with nothing more to pay. As our garden is small, and we don't have an awful lot to dispose if, it is much the better option for us.
I have an appointment at the Chemo suite this lunch time, for my infusion and to be given the chemo tablets for my 4th cycle
So good to hear that Dollie is covid free Marydoll, you must be so relieved.
I have some variegated nasturtiums coming into bloom , but have had trouble posting pics, so you will just have to imagine. The leaves are beautiful. All from just one little pot of seedings at the garden centre a few weeks ago. Bargain!
Sending warm wishes to all who are unwell and to those missing from this thread lately
Have a good day one and all.

Nannagarra Tue 22-Jun-21 10:01:48

Good morning from Beige Lawns on the Sefton coast. I’ll be reading your posts later, hopefully to the sound of rain.
Yesterday we took Mr Busy to meet Miss Chatterbox from school. As he’s at nursery today, it will be just the three of us. Grapes will be duly washed and quartered, not peeled fortunately!
My fingers are crossed that discharge is within sight for you Blossoming.
Both devices about to run out of power - I may well appear later.
Keep safe and on the look out for flamingos, amigos. x

Grandmajean Tue 22-Jun-21 10:04:40

Marydoll

Grandmajean could we be in the same LA? wink

Blossoming, I would be interested to hear what you have bought. We have bought Hondas for the last twenty years and Mr MDoll is thinking a buying a new car. However, the dealership has been taken over by a new comapny and the service is apalling and he may change makes!
This is the dealership who refused to help DD, when she was stranded in Orkney with a new car, bought from them. ?

They all get together ,Marydoll and come up with ideas to hoodwink us ! They 're clearly not as smart as they think.
wink

Grandmajean Tue 22-Jun-21 10:08:47

aggie

Good Morning from another sunny day in Co Armagh, there was a very cold wind yesterday , just as well , it cooled us digging and delving , our ( free) brown bin is emptied today and we fairly filled it with weeds and leaves . The leaves seem to gather at ours with the way the wind swirls
. Our brown bins are composted on a local farm , very big heaps ! We can get the resulting compost for the garden , it’s good stuff mostly .
Local volunteers fill tubs and window boxes for the village square with this compost and someone ( might be the council ) donates plants
The resulting bare spots meant a visit to the local nursery ? , I bought a mini catmint as recommended by Mony Don last Friday night , we have the large one and it gives a lovely display

There might be a council "plant" on Gransnet aggie who will now be gleefully telling your local council that they should be charging for garden waste !
shamrock

Grandmajean Tue 22-Jun-21 10:09:39

I'll shut up now and do some chores !!

aggie Tue 22-Jun-21 10:19:28

?‍???

muse Tue 22-Jun-21 10:54:41

Well that's Mya safely deposited at the dog creche. She doesn't go very often and moans when I leave her there. She'd quietened down by the time I got to my car. Tugs at my heart strings when I hear her.

MaggieTulliver Welcome to the morning thread. Still think of myself as a newbie. I joined 6 months ago. I can recommend a visit to soop's kitchen*. Great crowd there as well. I'd love to see a photo of your dog. What's it's name?

Sar Do hope the test is negative. My DGD has been sent home twice now to isolate.

amselerin. I'm butting in - sorry. Just in case Monk doesn't spot your question - the Black Country is in the West Midlands (centre is Dudley). I've visited the Black Country Living Museum so many times, It was regular school visit for the year 6 children.

Lots of lovely news here this morning. Hope everything goes well with tests or visits to hospitals and dentists.

Sunny day again. I'm leaving MrM today to pump rainwater out of the hole. He had to weigh the 1st tank down with the digger arm. I wish we could have waited till the rain had passed but the Phil and Josh are back tomorrow to dig the trench for the outlet pipes.

Ali Visiting two gardens today (nr St Austell). Neither has tea rooms open yet so I'm taking a flask. First time on our Cornish lanes with the new car. I think I will be truly thankful I got an automatic.

Take care everyone. ??

MaggieTulliver Tue 22-Jun-21 10:55:09

Thank you for your warm welcomes. It’s so interesting to hear news from all over the UK (and Germany amselerin!).

MaggieTulliver Tue 22-Jun-21 11:00:45

Muse, this is Alfie!

Doodle Tue 22-Jun-21 11:06:48

Marydoll glad Dollie’s test was negative. It must be so hard missing those precious hugs. It will come soon, as you say, hopefully when school finishes. Take care x

I am passing on a message from Cherry who probably won’t be posting on GN again.

B9exchange Tue 22-Jun-21 11:09:20

Good morning everyone, welcome to Maggie. Thinking of you Harri, hope you get a bit more information today.

We are tidying up today after the weekend influx. Washing machine full of sheets, and someone has dribbled on a pillow. It says washable, so I am experimenting, but will probably wreck it, anyone else washed a pillow successfully? Not feathers, obviously! ? Keep warm everyone! ?

Doodle Tue 22-Jun-21 11:10:55

Sorry that got posted without me finishing. I meant to say Cherry wants me to pass on her best wishes to all her friends on the GM thread and to say she will miss and your company but probably won’t be posting on GN for the foreseeable future due to personal reasons. I am sure you will all miss her lovely posts as will we on the Lockdown gang.

Doodle Tue 22-Jun-21 11:17:58

Sorry that was meant to read will miss you and your company.

hollysteers Tue 22-Jun-21 11:26:46

Good morning from a sunny Suet on Sea on the northwest Lancashire coast.
Been away for nearly a week with daughter, then sister in the south and really welcomed the change. Felt all in a fluster getting away as life has been so quiet for so long.
Lovely afternoon tea at Cliveden, walking around Windsor great park and a trip down to Lewes, new to me and just the sort of English town I like. Had a peep at Anne of Cleves house but closed.
Tired now but happy.
Will read through posts later.
Thoughts to all with worries.

Jaxjacky Tue 22-Jun-21 11:43:17

Doodle thank you. Cherry will be missed, I sincerely hope her problems will be resolved quickly, I’m sorry to hear that news.