Gransnet forums

Chat

It's our GN zoomiversary!

(171 Posts)
Aveline Wed 23-Jun-21 10:06:59

Yes, today our small group of Grans have been meeting weekly on Zoom to chat, gossip, commiserate, support, play games, have parties, competitions and so much more. All organised by Katek with support from Elegran. Sadly, we could really only be a very small group of eight as managing larger numbers becomes unwieldy and turn taking an issue.
Highlights included our Christmas lunch, Burns lunch, Easter bonnet display and now we'll all be blowing out our candles on our cakes to celebrate a year of companionship when it was most needed. Thanks Katek!

dragonfly46 Thu 24-Jun-21 07:26:04

I agree with kitty. It would probably have been more sensitive to have said nothing and just celebrated amongst yourselves.
Btw our NWR has 16 members and we Zoom with no problem.

Aveline Thu 24-Jun-21 07:41:05

Our Zoom group was talked about on GN when it was first started. It wasn't some sort of secret society. It was suggested that there could be lots of similar groups set up round the country. It would just need people to take the initiative to actually start one. I'm very grateful that Katek bit the bullet and set one up for us. It's just a pity that others didn't do the same. Maybe they did? They'll now be too afraid to post about it but I'd be interested to hear how they got on.
It seemed reasonable to mention our anniversary.
I'm glad that some Grans seem to understand the motivation behind my post and can only wonder about others.

Lucca Thu 24-Jun-21 08:09:34

I’m confused by this sentence
“ The members who met up were ones who have met frequently for years. There were others who have been to our previous meetings, who we would have loved to invite too, but I don't think any of us (including them) would have enjoyed it. ”

Why would previous members or you not have enjoyed it ? Didn’t you get on ?!

kittylester Thu 24-Jun-21 08:09:49

I help run Zoom courses for Carers - we have 12 participants quite often.

'The others' you mention Aveline maybe do understand the motivation behind you post.

Lucca Thu 24-Jun-21 08:16:01

kittylester

I help run Zoom courses for Carers - we have 12 participants quite often.

'The others' you mention Aveline maybe do understand the motivation behind you post.

??

fiorentina51 Thu 24-Jun-21 08:16:28

What a lovely idea. Happy anniversary and long may you continue to enjoy your meet ups in whatever form you choose.
??

nanna8 Thu 24-Jun-21 08:21:33

We had quite a few zoom meetings with Probus members during lockdown. At one stage we got 60 on but the bigger groups are a bit harder to manage and you have to mute everyone except the one talking otherwise it is a dog’s breakfast. I am a bit over Zoom now, I have to say but it is certainly better than not meeting at all.

FannyCornforth Thu 24-Jun-21 08:22:04

Lucca, Kitty's comment was referring to the last sentence of Aveline's post at 7.41

I have to say that I agree with Kitty

Marydoll Thu 24-Jun-21 08:22:23

I am sorry to see this thread has become quite unpleasant and resulted in the Zoom members feeling they have to come on here to state their point of view.

I have been a regular visitor to the Edinburgh meet ups, since I joined in 2016, even staying overnight in Edinburgh with DH for a few of them. I think the Zoom group, of which I am not a member, could be seen as sub group of people who see each other as friends and are in contact regularly, they obviously cannot invite everyone of us to join their smaller group.

To respond to Kitty's comment about not all Edinburgh grans being included, the Zoom group (I can only hazard a guess as to who is a member,) have additional smaller meet ups, which are not easy for some of us to attend, this has obviously allowed them to become closer to each other, interact more often and develop friendships.

I'm sure they have been a great support to each other, which is to be commended. It's been a very difficult and lonely year for some of us.

In my opinion, it would be best to just let this thread fade away quietly, before it becomes even more acrimonious.

nanna8 Thu 24-Jun-21 08:22:44

You would need to know each other’s emails which may or may not be a good thing when you are talking about strangers !

FannyCornforth Thu 24-Jun-21 08:25:48

nanna8

You would need to know each other’s emails which may or may not be a good thing when you are talking about strangers !

That wouldn't be an issue for me.
I don't see regular posters as a potential threat

nanna8 Thu 24-Jun-21 08:27:26

I do. Could be a bunch of serial killers for all we know! Maybe I worked as a social worker too long. ?

Lucca Thu 24-Jun-21 08:30:41

Aveline

Sigh. I just wanted to share what felt like a special occasion. I hadn't realised the effect it would have on those mean spirited enough to want to pour cold water on it.

Aveline I think you would have done better to mention that this was an east Scotland meet-up following on from previous real life meet ups!
However, bit of a storm in a teacup scenario so… moving on ?!

Aldom Thu 24-Jun-21 08:30:53

Dragonfly my NWR group meet on Zoom too. It's worked really well for us. We have even done a pantomime and a Murder mystery play. Aveline I'm so sorry your happy post has prompted such negative comments.

FannyCornforth Thu 24-Jun-21 08:30:56

nanna8 the chance of us all being 'a bunch of serial killers' is an extremely low one, I should imagine
It would certainly pep things up a bit if we were!

Lucca Thu 24-Jun-21 08:31:40

“ Lucca, Kitty's comment was referring to the last sentence of Aveline's post at 7.41” I know I just wondered what she meant …

Marydoll Thu 24-Jun-21 08:32:37

Some of us do share emails, which make it much easier to communicate than using clunky PMs, which are not fit for purpose!
Anyone on GN I have shared my email address with, has my trust. I don't give it away lightly! Fanny I would give you mine, if requred! wink

Elizabeth1 Thu 24-Jun-21 08:38:37

I say congratulations to these small groups who have managed to support each other these past few years I was so happy to find Gransnet when I retired. A great way to find likeminded friends. Who would’ve thought a zoom meeting would continue to keep us gelled in keeping harmony

Since my dreadful health experience they keep me motivated each week there’s always something to look forward to. Keep it going please it’s only a few auld friends keeping in touch in this modern society we now live in. Happy days ???

mumofmadboys Thu 24-Jun-21 08:44:07

I feel really sad that people have been critical about a Zoom meet up. Was it really necessary to stick the knife in? Surely any happy news is good to share. We may mention special wedding anniversaries but we are not in any way getting at people whose marriages have sadly broken down. Or a lovely gift from a child but we are not making a dig at estranged parents. Surely we can share each others good occasions without feeling pangs of jealousy.

Galaxy Thu 24-Jun-21 08:45:19

It would be useful if anyone who is a serial killer could just let us know it makes things so much easier socially.

BlueSky Thu 24-Jun-21 08:45:30

‘Horses for courses’ as they say. It wouldn’t suit me anymore than meeting people in real life, but that’s me, I know I’m unsociable. But for those who do enjoy it, great, you could set up your own group. If it helps one person to beat loneliness then it’s worth it.

MerylStreep Thu 24-Jun-21 08:45:32

nanna8

We had a situation on GN a while back where a long time poster was disappeared in the press of a button.
If some of us didn’t have email addresses we wouldn’t have been able to communicate with that poster.
I don’t trust PMs with certain information.

FannyCornforth Thu 24-Jun-21 08:50:03

Galaxy I could put a thread in the 'Meet ups' subforum.
Any Sociopaths in the East Midlands region? ?

lemsip Thu 24-Jun-21 08:53:49

we are all strangers tapping away on our keyboards and wouldn't look at each other twice in the street except for those that have physically met in meet ups of course......

Lucca Thu 24-Jun-21 09:00:37

Galaxy

It would be useful if anyone who is a serial killer could just let us know it makes things so much easier socially.

Rather spoils a game of Cluedo though