Gransnet forums

Chat

It's our GN zoomiversary!

(171 Posts)
Aveline Wed 23-Jun-21 10:06:59

Yes, today our small group of Grans have been meeting weekly on Zoom to chat, gossip, commiserate, support, play games, have parties, competitions and so much more. All organised by Katek with support from Elegran. Sadly, we could really only be a very small group of eight as managing larger numbers becomes unwieldy and turn taking an issue.
Highlights included our Christmas lunch, Burns lunch, Easter bonnet display and now we'll all be blowing out our candles on our cakes to celebrate a year of companionship when it was most needed. Thanks Katek!

trisher Fri 25-Jun-21 09:39:00

I didn't read this originally as I didn't think a Zoom GN meeting was anything to do with me. But I can't help think this is just another example of the "cliques in GN"theory which has caused many long and heated discussions on GN. If I'd been the OP I would be examining my deepest thoughts now trying to decide if I was really trying to stir things up a bit, But then I'm a bit of a divisive force anyway. I look forward to the next thread about cliques, groups, secret societies and other organisations on GN.

JaneJudge Fri 25-Jun-21 09:40:59

It is one of my flaws that I become defensive quite quickly if I am criticised or 'got at'. I have been trying to 'work on it' I don't think it's an unusual reaction to something?

I do however avoid these video meet up things like the covid

Marydoll Fri 25-Jun-21 09:47:26

This whole business has spoiled the Edinburgh meet ups for me, I would be uncomfortable going now, after discovering the group existed. I would feel like an outsider. That's all I'm going to say on the matter. Discretion is the better part of valour.
It's turned into a very unpleasant thread, which I'm sure was never Aveline's intention. It's a shame the Zoom group's joy has been soured, they are decent people.

Chewbacca Fri 25-Jun-21 09:56:23

flowers Marydoll

Mollygo Fri 25-Jun-21 09:58:51

Sadly I hope the thread remains here as a warning to others not to post about something you enjoyed, and so people can look back at the unkind comments that appeared and either regret them or try and justify them.
Don’t let it upset you Aveline.

Elizabeth1 Fri 25-Jun-21 10:00:24

Aveline I commend you on your kindness in setting up a weekly zoom which continues to keep a few gns in touch with each other. The original gn meet ups were I’m sure for gns to meet in a locality to each other. However I’ve even met lovely folks from far and near who wish to have a chat over coffee or a lunch or whatever. With the Covid restrictions in place these meetings have been reduced or cancelled due to government guidelines. Fingers crossed they’ll begin to start up fairly soon. I foresee many a strength in these meet ups between likeminded folks they’re open for all and sundry wishing to come along. No-one is excluded, we learn to love and support each other through thick or thin

Callistemon Fri 25-Jun-21 10:00:37

I Absolutely refuse to be included in any accusations of bullying playground invective bitterness narcissism (?.)etc

Me too

As for I’m sure you’d be delighted if your grandchildren exhibited the same behaviours you have been demonstrating today.
Unbelievable!

Polly12 Fri 25-Jun-21 10:28:09

In a “sharing” capacity perhaps it would have been better to tell us about this a few months ago, with tips for setting up Zoom, etc? In many places, although perhaps not parts of Scotland?, small groups can now meet up in person, especially outside. So setting up Zoom meetings now is less likely to appeal?

farview Fri 25-Jun-21 11:39:42

Aveline lovely thread....its nice to know that people have made new friends through GN....

Lucca Fri 25-Jun-21 11:56:05

Mollygo

Sadly I hope the thread remains here as a warning to others not to post about something you enjoyed, and so people can look back at the unkind comments that appeared and either regret them or try and justify them.
Don’t let it upset you Aveline.

That’s silly. It’s not the fact of posting about something you enjoy. It’s how it was done/worded, Read the thread.

muse Fri 25-Jun-21 12:07:00

Before I joined in January, I went onto GN to read a few threads. I saw someone want to start up a ZOOM meeting just before I joined. I think a few pms were sent but never saw any mention of it again.

It’s a pity there isn’t a ZOOM chat thread.

Lovely to hear what the group has been doing, Avaline. ?

Mollygo Fri 25-Jun-21 12:10:20

Lucca I did read the post and I didn’t find it nearly as offensive as some of the comments but you’re welcome to justify them if you like.

cornishpatsy Fri 25-Jun-21 12:49:17

I can understand the group having some sort of celebration via zoom marking the anniversary but have no idea why it was announced on here when it only involves the 8 people that took part.

Lucca Fri 25-Jun-21 13:07:43

Mollygo

Lucca I did read the post and I didn’t find it nearly as offensive as some of the comments but you’re welcome to justify them if you like.

I have, several times, as have others.

Elegran Fri 25-Jun-21 13:08:01

Some people could appreciate what triggered this thread, but there are some posters who are very happy to put the worst construction they can onto innocent posts, and then preach about how to treat others. Consider for a moment - the organisers of this zoom meeting are not healthy young digitally adept adults with no infirmities or anxieties, parachuted in by Social Services to arrange jollies to keep the auld yins from pining away. They ARE the auld yins, with multiple chronic medical problems and few computer skills. They mastered a new medium, and they used it to keep themselves from falling into the mire of depression, which could easily have happened as they hit more medical and family problems throughout lockdown. It wasn't all a walk in the park. What's not to congratulate themselves on?

The original post was very mild, actually. Read it again, without prejudice. If you think it says that GN provided the software, you added that thought yourself. GN brought the group together, and was the cover name under which many of the previous in-person meetups were booked (as you will know if you attended any of them) A GN group was how we always thought of ourselves, so of course the zoom was referred to as a GN zoom.

If you thought it was posted as an exercise in one-up-manship, you are totally wrong. Perhaps those who were quick to criticise should examine their own attitudes before theorising about the writer's, or complaining because posts in defence appeared? (Warning sign in animal sanctuary - "These animals are dangerous - if they are attacked, they defend themselves" )

I don't know why the first of the knocking posts were sent, but reading them does seem to have coloured the vision of some subsequent posters. Some later posters don't seem to have read the OP independently, without their minds full of the carping of a couple of early posts.

This thread has been very hurtful, and I hope I am wrong in suspecting that one or two posts were written with precisely that intention. For the first time in ten years I am seriously considering leaving, and I am not one of those posters who threaten to leave in the hope that lots of people will implore them to stay. I shall stay away for a week and see how I feel then.

kittylester Fri 25-Jun-21 15:00:29

I think this thread has potentially been very hurtful to the people who were excluded from your GN group and who then had that fact thrust in their faces and, if the thread wasn't started unkindly, the effect on others definitely wasn't considered.

Aveline Fri 25-Jun-21 15:07:17

Who was excluded?

Elegran Fri 25-Jun-21 15:59:49

I've not seen any posts on this thread from anyone saying they were personally excluded or hurt, except Marydoll, who hadn't been to any in-person meetups before CoVid for a long time. At the start a few "old friends" contacted us, but understood when they realised the position.
I'm not sure exactly how anyone knows how all those who would have wanted to be there could have been accommodated - a thread on Gransnet inviting the whole world would have had several hundred "applications", after all, there would have been no travelling or expense at all. In fact, we could have been talking thousands, from all over the world. To make it clearer to those who are not familiar with the technology, it isn't like watching a film all together. You are connected like a phone call, but with a video picture as well as sound from and to you. Does anyone have any constructive advice on how to manage such a mass contact that doesn't involve calling on each person in turn to speak for a set time, and muting their mikes while the rest are having a turn (that would so artificial and inhibiting that it could hardly be called a social call.)?
Sorry, I shouldn't have looked back at the page. I am off again now.

trisher Fri 25-Jun-21 19:30:25

Perhaps those who were in the Zoom calls and were enjoying them could each have begun their own small group, so spreading the word and there would have been lots of small Zoom groups. People could even belong to more than one group. I know it's too late now, and I certainly wouldn't have wanted to join, but if you are enjoying something it's always nice to spread that around a bit

Aveline Fri 25-Jun-21 20:18:43

We suggested that on here right at the start. For all we know others might have done that. It would have been good to exchange ideas for activities and 'events'. I see someone posted some of the things their zoom group had done: a panto and a murder game. Sounds fun.